Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41
  1. #1
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,963

    NoTubes "Raven"...

    I was thumbing through one of the board's favorite periodicals last night while killing time waiting for a WORS race up in Eau Claire, WI.

    Yup, it was M.B.A. and they had a product review of the new tire from Stans NoTubes - the Raven. It's basically the Crow, but with taller knobs on the edges for cornering. M.B.A. said it was designed for the Raven to be up front with the Crow in the rear. They liked it, but only for XC race applications.

    Well, that's kind of what it is supposed to be for, right?

    I guess I'm not up on all the product announcements, but does anyone know when these are coming out? And if they will be available in 26" and 29"?

    Thanks.

    BB

    Picture...
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Expert Crasher
    Reputation: GreenLightGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,355
    First time I've seen this one.....
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    497
    I came across this on the notubes.com site (forum section). If I remember correctly, I thought the Raven was their cross tire. Did the MBA article say anything about widths? For dates, I think they said September.

    I hope it is a mountain tire. I don't mind the Crow - ran it for a bit on back wheel this spring. But when things got a bit too dry recently, it just didn't have enough grip. So something with a bit more bite would be welcome.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,673
    Looks good. I'd ride it. I like my Dry-X's though.

    How'd you do in the Firecracker? I was the guy sitting at the table under the tent entering racer's numbers into the time machine at the finish line where they pull the tags off.

  5. #5
    Harmonius Wrench
    Reputation: Guitar Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,102
    A little Google sluething turned up this: http://cxmagazine.com/stans-notubes-...yclocross-tire

    .......and this: http://messageboard.notubes.com/view...bc1992f7dafaef

    Looks to be a cyclo-cross product.

  6. #6
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    Looks good. I'd ride it. I like my Dry-X's though.

    How'd you do in the Firecracker? I was the guy sitting at the table under the tent entering racer's numbers into the time machine at the finish line where they pull the tags off.
    I'd love to try the Dry X. I ran the Nanoraptors at the Firecracker at about 17 psi.

    That was you? Cool, you looked like a mad accountant busy entering data on the machine as we came through the chute. It was my first WORS race, so I was very impressed with the way you guys have it down to an art form.

    How'd I do? First lap was great as I was enjoying the flow of having started in the first wave of guys and steering clear of the greasy spots that the cloud burst created before the race started. My limiting factor seemed to not be fitness at the Firecracker, but bike handling. That's a tough course at high speed. I was holding onto 6th place in my age category at the start of lap 2 and was comfortable there. I'd figured out where to put the hammer down for lap two to try and move up a couple of spots. The 2nd lap, as things dried out and got tacky, I got a little overconfident in the switchback descent section that was lined with about 40 spectators cheering everybody on. I got a little overzealous on the Dos Niner and took the last switchback really, really high on the bermed bank. When I came out of the turn my front wheel caught the left edge of the trail and down I went. I tucked into fetal roll position to take it on the shoulder. Boom went the shoulder and bang went the head. I hadn't gone down that hard in a couple of years.

    Efffed up my right shoulder, left wrist, left shin, mild concussion and knocked my front wheel into a very wobbly creature. I got up, surveyed the damage and lost a couple minutes letting oodles of guys go around me before I was finally able to see straight and hop back on the bike. I nursed myself and my front wheel around the rest of the lap to finish. I couldn't roll at my race speed with the front wheel all weebly-wobbly and my left wrist was talking to me loudly not wanting to participate, so I had to let many, many - way too many pass me and ride in injured shame. Regardless, I came in 9th place in the 45 - 49 group (out of the 24 of us that lined up on the start line). You see, 9th in my age group sounds a lot more impressive than the 110th place out of 337 overall I ended up in for Sport Men. Had I not fallen, I would have been pleased with my effort. In spite of that, I loved the course and the whole WORS scene. I may have to try another one or two in the future. Certainly the Firecracker will be on my radar as it is not too bad of a drive from the Des Moines area.

    How are your eyes and fingers from entering the results of 800+ racers?

    BB
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 07-07-2008 at 05:50 AM.

  7. #7
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    A little Google sluething turned up this: http://cxmagazine.com/stans-notubes-...yclocross-tire

    .......and this: http://messageboard.notubes.com/view...bc1992f7dafaef

    Looks to be a cyclo-cross product.
    Yup, I saw those on Google as well. However, the latest issue of MBA has it as a mountain bike tire and their picture (not the one I used) is the full deal. I'm sure we'll hear soon enough from NoTubes, but check out the MBA review in their latest issue. They obviously have a prototype or two that were sent to them to test and review.

    BB

  8. #8
    No longer 26
    Reputation: G-Live's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,071
    Hey BB.
    Glad you like the WORS race. They are usually pretty fun. Sounds like a big sport group. I would have been in the same wave wth you in the 40-44 age group. Wish I could have made this one. Took the kids to see Jonas Brothers instead.

    I'd recommed trying to make race 12 in the series. A fair course but a great atmosphere usually. The next one on the 27th is on my"home" course.

    G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

  9. #9
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,963
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Live
    Hey BB.
    Glad you like the WORS race. They are usually pretty fun. Sounds like a big sport group. I would have been in the same wave wth you in the 40-44 age group. Wish I could have made this one. Took the kids to see Jonas Brothers instead.

    I'd recommed trying to make race 12 in the series. A fair course but a great atmosphere usually. The next one on the 27th is on my"home" course.

    G
    That is a possibility. We could toe the line together as you show me the best lines on your home course.

    As it turns out, I'm picking my son up from camp in Milwaukee on the 26th and we're catching the Brewers vs. Astros on the night of the 26th. Whether I could convince my wife and kids to let me stay on Sunday for the WORS race is another dilemma as junior has to be at football practice on the morning of the 28th at 6 am. I'll start working on them today....

    BB
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 07-07-2008 at 06:24 AM.

  10. #10
    Harmonius Wrench
    Reputation: Guitar Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,102
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    Yup, I saw those on Google as well. However, the latest issue of MBA has it as a mountain bike tire and their picture (not the one I used) is the full deal. I'm sure we'll hear soon enough from NoTubes, but check out the MBA review in their latest issue. They obviously have a prototype or two that were sent to them to test and review.

    BB
    Hmmm.......maybe, but here's the pic from the cyclo-cross site. Looks the same to me. They had a photo of one on a bike, did they? If so, that's cool, but in my mind, this isn't a really big development. I'd rather have seen something a bit more agressive. I'm not sure those side knobs are going to do a whole lot, even if they are taller.

  11. #11
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    Hmmm.......maybe, but here's the pic from the cyclo-cross site. Looks the same to me. They had a photo of one on a bike, did they? If so, that's cool, but in my mind, this isn't a really big development. I'd rather have seen something a bit more agressive. I'm not sure those side knobs are going to do a whole lot, even if they are taller.
    The MBA picture looks different that what you and I posted. Your photo is the same one I copied from the Google links. Head over to Borders or Barnes and Noble to see the latest M.B.A. magazine. It's in there. I didn't have my concussion yet when I read it, but had just knocked back 3 red lager Leinenkugels (being 12 miles south of the brewery and all).

    For XC racing, those side knobs would be plenty to add a little more grip for a front tire to mate with the Crow in the rear. There is only one race course in the IMBCS that I can't race the Crows front and rear (Boone). So maybe the addition of the taller knobs would let me race Boone on them with more confidence than the last time I tried them there and washed out the front. If not, the Nanoraptors are fine at Boone. I don't think there is any reason or need for NoTubes to come out with more aggressive tires since we have Kenda, Bontrager, Maxxis, WTB, Schwalbe, Continental, Michelin, Panaracer/IRC, Halo, Geax, etc... providing plenty of that.

    BB

  12. #12
    No longer 26
    Reputation: G-Live's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,071
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    That is a possibility. We could toe the line together as you show me the best lines on your home course.

    As it turns out, I'm picking my son up from camp in Milwaukee on the 26th and we're catching the Brewers vs. Astros on the night of the 26th. Whether I could convince my wife and kids to let me stay on Sunday for the WORS race is another dilemma as junior has to be at football practice on the morning of the 28th at 6 am. I'll start working on them today....

    BB
    Plenty of time. Let me know if you plan on sticking around. The Dos will be fine on the Crystal Ridge course. Not sure on the Crows though. Usually fine dust over hardpack in the twisty s.t.

    G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    430
    Oh no, notubes didn't tell guitar ted first !!!!!

  14. #14
    Lackey
    Reputation: Joshua Pattersnap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    286

    Raven info

    There will be a Raven for cyclcross -- as shown in the picture posted above -- and a version for mountain bikes. As was stated, it should compliment the Crow as a front tire.

  15. #15
    Recovering couch patato
    Reputation: Cloxxki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,021
    For me, the Crow is great at what I use it for : sissy super-fast courses, as a rear tire.
    For a good front race tire, there's so many options, and rolling resistance is less vital (less than 50% of RR comes from the front on most setups, due to weight distribution).
    Looking forward to hear how the Raven does in comparison as a front.

    It will also be interesting to compare the upcome Furious freds to the existing Crows. Weight vs. speed, grip, durability...we've got a fight on our hands!

  16. #16
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,963
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Live
    Plenty of time. Let me know if you plan on sticking around. The Dos will be fine on the Crystal Ridge course. Not sure on the Crows though. Usually fine dust over hardpack in the twisty s.t.

    G
    I just proposed it to my wife and son and got "hit" over the head.

    Turns out, his camp isn't over until Sunday morning (have to pick him up between 9 - 11 am at Marquette University). So, if we go to a Brewers game, it would be the Sunday 1:05 pm game vs. the Astros. Either way, I think I'm out of luck to do the race. I will, however, look into the River Falls race in August and the one you suggest in October to see if either or both fit my schedule and would be possible.

    BB

  17. #17
    NoTubes.com
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    600
    The quick details:
    - larger side knob as stated with the same Crow tread down the center
    - very similar weight to the current Crow
    - 26x2.0, 26x2.2, 29x2.0 and 700x35
    - late summer, early fall arrival

    The taller side knob makes a big difference with cornering and off camber sections. I can definitely lean the bike over a lot further. I recently road a wet, off camber trail with a 2.2 Karma front and 29x2.0 Raven rear that I never would have stayed on with a Crow rear. I rarely run Crows front and rear but the 26x2.2 actually isn't too bad up front. Not sure where/why MBA got the front only designation from.
    Please do not use the forum PM or e-mail function for business related questions. I can be contacted through our website. Thanks!

    NoTubes.com

  18. #18
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pattersnap
    There will be a Raven for cyclcross -- as shown in the picture posted above -- and a version for mountain bikes. As was stated, it should compliment the Crow as a front tire.
    Cool. I'm looking forward to it.

    BB

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,673
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    I

    How are your eyes and fingers from entering the results of 800+ racers?

    BB
    It was probably the best job to end up with as a volunteer. I only had to work for about 2.5 hours. Enter kids race, take an hour off, enter sport racers, take an hour and a half off, enter comp/elite. It was probably the best job for me. It involved numbers and not talking to people unless I had to yell at them for putting their hands in front of their numbers.

    That switchback you fell on it was a common hard spot for people. It's really a spot that one has to focus on skill instead of speed. I might race next year if I'm around. I don't know if I want to actually go for where I probably should be in comp, or try to win at sport, or race citizen on a fixed gear cross bike for fun

  20. #20
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    It was probably the best job to end up with as a volunteer. I only had to work for about 2.5 hours. Enter kids race, take an hour off, enter sport racers, take an hour and a half off, enter comp/elite. It was probably the best job for me. It involved numbers and not talking to people unless I had to yell at them for putting their hands in front of their numbers.

    That switchback you fell on it was a common hard spot for people. It's really a spot that one has to focus on skill instead of speed. I might race next year if I'm around. I don't know if I want to actually go for where I probably should be in comp, or try to win at sport, or race citizen on a fixed gear cross bike for fun
    Do you volunteer at other WORS races, or is this your home turf?

    The information I read said that sport was to do 3 laps. I was surprised they announced we would only be doing 2 which made for a sport race that was only 1:07 - 1:15 for the first 124 racers in the male sport division. I guess the lap was 8 miles and WORS tries to keep the sport race at 15 miles. Fun race and trail - that's for sure. I've never taken a switchback at that high of speed before, but those berms were so tempting I just had to let go on lap 2 to see what was possible. Obviously, I found my limit and paid for it.

    BB

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    173
    . Not sure where/why MBA got the front only designation from.[/QUOTE]



    well if MBA wasn't making it up as they go, then those pages would be pretty blank.

  22. #22
    Harmonius Wrench
    Reputation: Guitar Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,102
    Quote Originally Posted by shishku
    Oh no, notubes didn't tell guitar ted first !!!!!
    Nah.....you got it all wrong. It's not like I know everything, or think I do, as you insinuate. I was just trying to figure out what was going on is all.

  23. #23
    Lackey
    Reputation: Joshua Pattersnap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    286
    well if MBA wasn't making it up as they go, then those pages would be pretty blank.

    Ouch burn!

    I didn't read the article. Did they say it was front-only, or that it makes a better front tire than the Crow?

    In any case, I'm looking forward to playing around with these on my mountain and CX bikes. They look like they'll be a good dry condition CX tire.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,673
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    Do you volunteer at other WORS races, or is this your home turf?

    The information I read said that sport was to do 3 laps. I was surprised they announced we would only be doing 2 which made for a sport race that was only 1:07 - 1:15 for the first 124 racers in the male sport division. I guess the lap was 8 miles and WORS tries to keep the sport race at 15 miles. Fun race and trail - that's for sure. I've never taken a switchback at that high of speed before, but those berms were so tempting I just had to let go on lap 2 to see what was possible. Obviously, I found my limit and paid for it.

    BB
    It's my home turf. I noticed that the lap counts differed from the website. I rode the course earlier in the week and it seemed like a good one. It hit all the worse technical sections but had chunks of double track to break it up and having some passing. A lot of racers commented on how good the race was this year.

  25. #25
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pattersnap
    Ouch burn!

    I didn't read the article. Did they say it was front-only, or that it makes a better front tire than the Crow?

    In any case, I'm looking forward to playing around with these on my mountain and CX bikes. They look like they'll be a good dry condition CX tire.
    My bad, I didn't quite memorize the quote. But they certainly said something to the effect that the Raven would be the one to run up front with the Crow in the rear. Nothing about it being "front only" that I can remember in the MBA. I'll have to stop in again at Borders to read it again.

    It sounds promising, according to MIke B.'s trail testing with it, in terms of off camber and carving the corners.

    BB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •