mtbr member
    Feb 2010

North Star bikes??

Whatsup, I'm looking for a bike to take on some moderate trail riding with 4 foot drops.

Found this North Star Pro El Toro CX 29er for $300. It is basically new.

Is it worth it? Its the only 29er I've found in my price range.

If not, what models would you recommend for about $200 used? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that 4' drops with a $300 bike is probably a bad idea. I've seen these North Star bikes in Sun n' Ski Sports I think. With a price point between $200 and $300, I'd look at a used SS - maybe a Redline Monocog, a GT Peace 9r, maybe a good deal on a Raleigh XXIX - something along those lines.
    Enjoy the ride!

Virtus pre nummis
    You're probably not going to find a lot of used Monocog 29ers for sale. I live in Dallas and watch Craigslist pretty closely and there has only been two Monocog 29ers for sale on there in the last 2 months. That being said can only speak highly of the quality of the Monocog and Redline bikes in general.

I paid $450.00 for a new Monocog 29er last May. The other day I saw another poster that bought a new `10 for $360.00 at his LBS. Redline makes a great product so if you can find one try it out!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mitul
    Whatsup, I'm looking for a bike to take on some moderate trail riding with 4 foot drops.

what models would you recommend for about $200 used? Thanks.
    You will need more money than that to ride 4' drops. Either for a better bike, or for better health insurance.

I Ride for Donuts
    The fact that they call that a CX bike should be your first clue that this bike is suspect.

I'd steer clear of the North Star.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

In FTF We Trust
    Boy, a bike that can take 4' drops at a $200-$300 price point is going to be pretty hard to find. I'll have to be the one to say look at older 26" wheeled freeride bikes/burly hardtails with a suspension fork. As much of a 29er mark as I am I don't think I'd pick a rigid 29er single speed for trailriding with 4' drops... Start hitting your pawn shops, bike shops that have used bikes, second hand sporting good shops and craigslist/ebay.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

mtbr member
    You can probably forget any 29er bike in that price range. You would have to build a burly wheelset to handle the drops which would not be cheap. Your best bet would be to look for a used 26" dirtjumper like a Giant STP or Specialized P2 for example.
    '14 Scott Genius 730 650b
    '14 Niner ROS9 HT 1x10

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks for the advice guys..guess I wont get that bike then..

How does the Redline Monocog 29er compare to a Forge 5xx? which is very similar to a Giant Rincon frame but better components for $380.
    http://www.forgebikes.com/saw5blu.asp

How do I inspect a used bike? I dont want to have to replace the shocks or something down the road

went to the pawn shop and saw a Trek 6700 for $216
    http://www.bikepedia.com/Quickbike/B...6700&Type=bike

and a Haro ICS 4.0 for $150
    http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...1373&Type=bike

I dont know too much about bikes..all i know is that I need a hardtail with alivio comps or better

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I had a (1995 or 1996) Northstar La Luna that I bought for my daughter way back when. It was a Tange steel frame and was built a bit on the light and wispy side, but it was perfect for her as it was pretty lightweight. I also recall it having a 1" headtube, so that is always something to check for on bikes from that era ad sourcing a replacement fork could be problematic.
    Last edited by jeffj; 02-02-2010 at 08:36 PM.