Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    61

    Norco Sight A9.2 vs Rocky Mountain Instinct 50

    I can get a discount on either one of these bikes. This will be my first FS bike since 2005 when I had a Rocky Mountain Switch with Junior T's (Sold in 2006) I recently got back into MTBing, so obviously lots has changed.
    The Norco Sight A9.2 has 140mm in the front and 130mm in the back, RM has 140mm front and 140mm back.

    Sight has Rockshox Pike RC and Fox Performance Float with LV and EVOL.
    Instinct has Fox 34 Float Performance and Fox Float DPS EVOL Performance.


    Sight has Shimano XT drivetrain an Deore BLM-6000 brakes
    Instinct has GX drivetrain and Sram Level T brakes.

    Everything else is more or less the same.

    Both bikes have similar geometry;
    Sight has a HA of 67 degrees, SA of 74.1, Wheelbase of 1191 and standover of 788.
    Instinct HA and SA can be adjusted, HA 66-67, SA 74.5-75.5, wheelbase of 1206 and standover of 810.

    I know they are very similar, what bike would you choose and why?
    Last edited by Graveltattoo; 11-29-2017 at 08:41 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hesher123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by Graveltattoo View Post
    I know they are very similar, what bike would you choose and why?
    I would choose the Norco because I prefer the Shimano brakes and shifters over the Sram and a threaded bottom bracket just makes life easier... and in my opinion the Norco just looks way nicer
    Current MTBs:
    1995 Mongoose IBOC Zero G-SX
    2014 Cube Reaction GTC SL
    2017 Scott Spark 930

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    61
    Thanks for pointing that out, somehow missed that the RM has pressed bottom bracket. I agree about the Norco looking nicer, the Instinct 50 only comes in one color scheme, which isn't very nice in my opinion.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    15
    I bought a Norco Sight A9.2 about 3 weeks ago.
    Love it so far!
    Wanted a threaded bb and pikes and i have had issues with sram brake levers in the past. Shimano brakes have been great. The dropper post is really nice too, considering its a budget brand. 150mm drop on the large.
    Bike loves to change direction quickly and handles rough stuff better than expected. I came off a 2015 specialized camber evo and the norco is better on the ups and downs. Overall weight is heavy at 14.7kg but it rides lighter. 30t chainring means you can crawl up anything.

    Rocky mountain make some sweet bikes but i haven't been lucky enough to throw a leg over one yet. Good luck with your decision!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Nissan80 View Post
    I bought a Norco Sight A9.2 about 3 weeks ago.
    Love it so far!
    Wanted a threaded bb and pikes and i have had issues with sram brake levers in the past. Shimano brakes have been great. The dropper post is really nice too, considering its a budget brand. 150mm drop on the large.
    Bike loves to change direction quickly and handles rough stuff better than expected. I came off a 2015 specialized camber evo and the norco is better on the ups and downs. Overall weight is heavy at 14.7kg but it rides lighter. 30t chainring means you can crawl up anything.

    Rocky mountain make some sweet bikes but i haven't been lucky enough to throw a leg over one yet. Good luck with your decision!
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Out of curiosity how tall are you? What do you consider "rough stuff"?

  6. #6
    Short-Change-Hero
    Reputation: gregnash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,952
    Dont think you could go wrong with either bike. Personal preference for me would be SRAM drivetrain and threaded bb with shimano brakes but neither have that. So I would probably go with the Norco and swap the drivetrain at some point (you can use SRAM derailleur and shifter with Shimano cassette).

    Color schemes I like both with slight edge towards the RM but I like bikes that stand out from the crowd.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    15
    I'm 182cm or just under 6ft. 82kg and I'm on a large. Especially happy with how it copes with braking bumps and blown out berms. Just floats over it all.

    Im an experienced intermediate rider. I mainly ride descending flow trails. Its a perfect all mountain bike!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Nissan80 View Post
    I'm 182cm or just under 6ft. 82kg and I'm on a large. Especially happy with how it copes with braking bumps and blown out berms. Just floats over it all.

    Im an experienced intermediate rider. I mainly ride descending flow trails. Its a perfect all mountain bike!
    How do you find the bike size wise? I'm 6'1" , in between the Large and XL, but with the XL I feel a bit stretched out, large felt better but that was just sitting on them at the store.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Dont think you could go wrong with either bike. Personal preference for me would be SRAM drivetrain and threaded bb with shimano brakes but neither have that. So I would probably go with the Norco and swap the drivetrain at some point (you can use SRAM derailleur and shifter with Shimano cassette).

    Color schemes I like both with slight edge towards the RM but I like bikes that stand out from the crowd.
    Why do you like the SRAM drivetrain more than the XT?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    15
    I think it would be fine for you. I dont have much seatpost exposed and the reach is very roomy. Much more than my old Camber.
    50mm stem came on the 29er so there is room to move with that either way. My saddle is level with my bars with 1 of the large spacers above the stem. I think i could possibly even fit a medium but the saddle would end up a lot higher than the bars.
    Another local rider who is about 6 foot 3 is on a large 27.5 bike. Xl felt too big for him.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Nissan80 View Post
    I think it would be fine for you. I dont have much seatpost exposed and the reach is very roomy. Much more than my old Camber.
    50mm stem came on the 29er so there is room to move with that either way. My saddle is level with my bars with 1 of the large spacers above the stem. I think i could possibly even fit a medium but the saddle would end up a lot higher than the bars.
    Another local rider who is about 6 foot 3 is on a large 27.5 bike. Xl felt too big for him.
    Cheers... thanks!

Similar Threads

  1. Rocky Mountain Element 970 MSL vs Instinct 970
    By stinkyto in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-17-2013, 08:25 PM
  2. Anyone Ridden the 2013 Rocky Mountain Instinct 950
    By Richard43 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-02-2013, 08:00 PM
  3. Norco Sight 2 SE, Rocky Mountain Alpine 50 or Whyte E-120
    By watusi in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-20-2013, 03:24 PM
  4. 2013 Rocky Mountain Instinct
    By sh0rty in forum Rocky Mountain
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-31-2012, 06:00 AM
  5. SPAM: Vintage Rocky Mountain Instinct
    By Buster in forum Rocky Mountain
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-07-2011, 09:38 PM

Members who have read this thread: 67

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •