GeoMan

Nokian Gazza Extreme 294 stud 29x2.1

Pretty wintery out here in the West so I bought a set of Nokian Gazza Extreme 294's for the icy roads (see pics).

I found a set of Vuelta XRP's (for $160 - cheap!) so I have two wheelsets, one with studs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    I swear by my Nokian's (35mm, 106 studs) for my daily commute. You will be pleased.

JAH

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by xJAHx
    I swear by my Nokian's (35mm, 106 studs) for my daily commute. You will be pleased.

JAH
    Cool!

We got 3" of fresh white here last night... Looks more and more like a real winter in Santa Fe...

The Nokians should be the ticket.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Schweet! May I ask who's got the best price on these?

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN
    Pretty wintery out here in the West so I bought a set of Nokian Gazza Extreme 294's for the icy roads (see pics).

I found a set of Vuelta XRP's (for $160 - cheap!) so I have two wheelsets, one with studs.
    Cool! Talk about your built in muscle endurance intervals while rotating a total 4500g+ set of wheels/rubber through the snow!!!!

BB

Waiting for Godot
    i just reviewed these on my blog. i love them on icy, stuff, but not much flotation from the 2.1 size.

they are heavy though.

get to know me thru my blog
    http://oilcanracer.blogspot.com/

spend $$ at my sponsors shop http://www.revolutionutah.com/

GeoMan
    It's either these tires or no riding, frankly. I normally ride with Stan's and am a wheel weight wienie. Alas, this is better than being sidelined.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggity
    Bikeman

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    if you're used to the 26" version you will be a little dissapointed with those
    they have the same # of knobs and studs as the 26" version so believe it or not that little bit is noticeable. that said what other options are out there? none

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

aebike.com

mtbr member
    I'm copying my post from another thread here, since this is a better place for it:

I think they are the best ready made 29" MTB studded tires. At least they are the only ones available. The width is not enough for any floatation, but that is not a big issue for my trails, since the urban trails get used enough for the surface to get quite firm within a few days after snowfall. The grip is generally good and on ice it is also good enough. On a hard surface (e.g tarmac) they roll poorly.

I have two pairs of them and all four tires were bought in the fall of 2007. Last winter was really bad here, almost no snow and just enough ice on the trails to make studded tires necessary. As a result they lost lots of studs. Before this winter season I replaced about 100 studs on the four tires together. Now the studs seem to stay put a lot better, maybe because I used glue on the replacement studs. Perhaps the rubber has cured a little more over the summer as well. According to a mail I got from the manufacturer, the version of this season should be better in this regards, since the mold was changed slightly.

Still, I have sent an email to Schwalbe asking them to make the Ice Spiker Pro in 29" size. It probably won't happen.

mtbr member
    Last year I got a pair of the Nokian 240's that are 40mm wide and thought they worked pretty well. In the deeper snow they would cut through down to the firm ground or ice. But they were a little squirrely on our dirt roads that had been plowed because the equipment used to plow leaves grooves in the surface that run parallel with the road.

I got a pair of the 294's this year and have a lot more confidence on the roads. While not as wide as my old 26" 296's the wide spaced knobs seem to work off road as well. My 294's weighed 1050 and 1100 grams, right at the published weight.

GeoMan
    I got my pair from www.ibikedoyou2.com using the FACEBOOK 10% discount (code = TIRES) for $152 delivered - comparable to aebike.com but this source is in the west so free shipping was 2 days to me in NM.

Bikeman was $170.49 delivered from Maine, $18 more expensive.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

Keep on Rockin...

Same studs, bigger tire...

I've heard reports of where the stud traction is not as good on the 29" version; at least on glazed ice. Less studs seem to contact the ice at a given tire patch on the 29er version.

Not much of an issue on hard snow but rather during the very slick ice periods.

Some may argue that the contact patch should be larger on the 29er thus applying more studs. But that's only if you are running relatively lower pressures. Running slightly higher pressures with studded tires is usually required to get the studs to "dig in".

Yes, I know, splitting hairs a bit, but I've had reports of the problem and how much harder would it be for Nokian to throw in a few more studs?

When you look at the pictured tire you must admit the studs are spaced pretty far out.

Anyway. I used the 26" version for years with great results. IMO I think ice riding would be a good application for a 69er.

Is dang happy!
    Studs do nothing in the snow, high volume tires is where it's at in the pow pow.

I think jenson has the 45mm Innova tires for $38
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

Cars Are Evil
    I wish the 29x2.1 had been available when I got my W240s. Oh well, they still work really well for my winter commuting.

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Doom
    Studs do nothing in the snow, high volume tires is where it's at in the pow pow.
    Unfortunately, it seems that where there's snow out here in NM, there's also ice... Lots-o ice.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J
    I've heard reports of where the stud traction is not as good on the 29" version
    It's true. If you have never run a studded tire before you may be satisfied, but if you have any significant time on 26" offerings from Nokian (Hakka 300, Extreme 296, Freddies Revenz) you will be very disappointed in the 29er Extreme 294. They should have copied the Freddies and maybe gone up to 360+ studs. Especially compared to the 26" Freddies, the 29" Extreme really blows on ice.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsider
    Before this winter season I replaced about 100 studs on the four tires together. Now the studs seem to stay put a lot better, maybe because I used glue on the replacement studs.
    Where did you get the extra studs, and what method did you use to replace them? The pair I used last year seemed to lose an inordinate amount of studs too.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

mtbr member
    Just took my maiden (real trail) voyage on my 29er 294s today and although I don't have any previous experience with studded tires, besides a DIY jobby many years back, they made a trail that was utterly unridable before completely ridable and a hell of a lot of fun too. Guess I just have to keep of the 26" version so I don't know what I'm missing!

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish
    Just took my maiden (real trail) voyage on my 29er 294s today and although I don't have any previous experience with studded tires, besides a DIY jobby many years back, they made a trail that was utterly unridable before completely ridable and a hell of a lot of fun too. Guess I just have to keep of the 26" version so I don't know what I'm missing!
    the 29 version isn't bad, just not quite as good as the 26" which in my opinion, is the best studded tire for trails. Its funny but the knobs are maybe 1/4" further apart, but it makes a noticeable difference
    Im finding that every winter brings new challenges, this winter and last we had allot of snow and not much ice , so the studs arent so hot.
    With it's 4" tires @ 8psi the Pugsley just bombs along as long as the trails are packed a bit so maybe 2 bikes is the way to go. Or maybe Surly could make the Endomorph tire studded?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e
    Where did you get the extra studs, and what method did you use to replace them? The pair I used last year seemed to lose an inordinate amount of studs too.
    I contacted the manufacturer, and they sent me a set of 100 studs and the corresponding tool for free. I also bough some more studs from the stud manufacturer, so now I have lots of replacement studs.

There is also a set of spare studs and the tool for sale, which I have seen in some Finnish and German web shops, but I have no idea where you would get them in the US. The tool looks like this:

It is very easy to replace the studs: Just drop a little glue (elastic glue, preferrably Loctite 480) in the hole in tire and the pick up the stud with the tire and push it into the hole. It takes under one minute per stud.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Especially compared to the 26" Freddies, the 29" Extreme really blows on ice.
    Agreed. I have several sets of Nokian-brand studded tires. Their 29er version doesn't measure-up to what I've come to expect from their 26er versions.

The Freddies are awesome. I just bought a pair last week, and went for my first ride on them yesterday. Then I came home and hung my 29er bike up on the wall in the basement until spring. The Freddies are that good.

willtsmith_nwi
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN

I have an old crappy 26" mountain bike. I finally found a use for it as it's the only bike that I have to put my old Extreme 296 tires on. The bike works great for days when the roads have a little snow and a little ice.

I never found them that great for a couple inches of snow. They're too narrow.