Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

NO more SE racing STOUT 29er for 2012

I saw in facebook that SE RACING has there 2012 catalog of new bikes. but I didn't see the 2012 STOUT 29er.
    so I posted what happen to the stout to which they responded not for 2012 enjoy the 11s while there out.

mtbr member
    I think the SS movement is dying out a bit. People want bikes with sliding DOs that they can run SS or geared, not a frame with horizontal DOs
    Mind your own religion.

mtbr member
    Maybe they (The Stout) didn't sell well. They usually had large quantities at online retailers at the end of the year as blow out prices. Most other manufacturers single speed are still available.

mtbr member
    +1 on that...

Quote Originally Posted by PoisonDartFrog View Post
    I think the SS movement is dying out a bit. People want bikes with sliding DOs that they can run SS or geared, not a frame with horizontal DOs
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I think more than that, people don't want the downsides of discs on a track end frame. With so many other dropouts that don't require adjusting your brakes everytime you change gearing, it's a tough sell.

mtbr member
    Weren't those Stouts essentially 29er BMX-style bikes? How big is the market for that sort of thing?

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    Weren't those Stouts essentially 29er BMX-style bikes? How big is the market for that sort of thing?
    No, SE does make a 29er BMX style bike (Big Ripper) but it wasn't the Stout

Companies stop making bikes for a reason, they aren't making a profit on them. Same reason GT stopped making the Peace 9R, cool bike but only sold when heavily discounted.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    No, SE does make a 29er BMX style bike (Big Ripper) but it wasn't the Stout

Companies stop making bikes for a reason, they aren't making a profit on them. Same reason GT stopped making the Peace 9R, cool bike but only sold when heavily discounted.
    Yep, and to expand on that: just because one company isn't making a profit on that type of bike doesn't mean the whole market is going downhill.

One issue that can come up for companies like SE is that not enough of their local dealers might be the kind of shops where people go for MTBs. Those dealers are less likely to decide to invest in inventory for their floor, which of course makes them far less likely to sell any of that model. Or if it is an MTB shop then SE is likely a secondary brand and the dealer might be prioritizing for floor models in that price range from their main MTB brand

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I think free ride bikes are going down hill.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I bought a 2011 from jenson for 480.00 three weeks ago. Glad I got it when I did. All my other bikes are sitting collecting dust right now. Stock rims setup tubeless with stans yellow tape. Changed the tires to shwalbe RR's and it weighs 25.70 lbs.
    I put some disc brakes I had in the bin on and it gained a pound. I think I'm going back to the v brakes. I also have a origin 8 carbon fork on the way. It should be 24.7. Pretty awesome deal
    Last edited by dhalsey; 09-01-2011 at 02:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Some pictures of my Stout. I'm pretty stoked on this bike. It is my first 29er and single speed and rigid. It is seriously fun. I'm not sure exactly why yet...

Its got what plants crave
    I don't suppose it has anything to do with the narrowest of profit margins on a 300 dollar bicycle.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

FKA Malibu412
    That's why BD kept running out of various sizes of the Bullseye and Deadeye, cuz it's a fad that's dying out .

The BE, DE and Stout all have track ends, not horizontal dropouts, that will work with the correct type of RD hanger such as the one that comes with the BD rigs. Very easy to convert to multi-geared as they work very similar to sliders.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by jim311 View Post
    i don't suppose it has anything to do with the narrowest of profit margins on a 300 dollar bicycle.
    ding ding ding
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    The Redline Monocog is a horizontal dropout frame and isn't having a popularity problem that I know about. I don't think this type of bike is dying out, the SE just wasn't a popular model so they dropped it.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Cheaper bikes are the dependable bread-and-butter sales that keep the lights on in a lot of shops. A niche bike like this probably doesn't rake in the same number of sales as a lot of the more universal bikes in the same price range, but still, small margins aren't too big a reason for shops to avoid a bike when the upfront investment for them is smaller and so is the potential loss from putting it on sale at the end of the season

mtbr member
    I just don't think the Stout has quite the "cult" following as the Monocog.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dhalsey View Post
    I bought a 2011 from jenson for 480.00 three weeks ago. Glad I got it when I did.
    Hey dhalsey. thats a good deal, I was able to get the bike from them at $400.00 price match.

as for how to save some weight what do you recomend.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Found a dealer who has the SE Stout and he was telling me it is "cassette ready" meaning if I decided to upgrade/add a 7-9 speed, it would fit and would not have to get another wheel. Can someone comment on this? I have been looking at the Gravity 29 and BullsEye and if I did want to go 1x7,8, or 9, would I need a complete new rear wheel? Help please.
    I like big bars and I cannot lie

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by jimx200 View Post
    Found a dealer who has the SE Stout and he was telling me it is "cassette ready" meaning if I decided to upgrade/add a 7-9 speed, it would fit and would not have to get another wheel. Can someone comment on this? I have been looking at the Gravity 29 and BullsEye and if I did want to go 1x7,8, or 9, would I need a complete new rear wheel? Help please.
    The rear hub is a cassette hub (7 speed with spacer, 8,9,10 cassettes work without spacer). The chain tensioner has a derailleur hanger on it. The frame comes with cable guides for a rear derailleur housing and cable.

The Cracked Helmet: Cheap Steel: SE Stout 1x9

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    The rear hub is a cassette hub (7 speed with spacer, 8,9,10 cassettes work without spacer). The chain tensioner has a derailleur hanger on it. The frame comes with cable guides for a rear derailleur housing and cable.

The Cracked Helmet: Cheap Steel: SE Stout 1x9
    hello mtnbiker, I would like to see if you know by any chance what are the items that I have to buy to make the Stout a 1x9 like what derailleur and stuff, I don't have an Idea and have some extra money to buy but don't know. and thaks for that site I will read it.

mtbr member
    It's a shame to see the Stout go -- I had one to review on my blog, and it was a ton of fun to ride. Seems like the supply online has dried up too, but I did find one seller that had new 17" (medium) 2011 Stouts for $330. That's even cheaper than BD sells it's cheapest SS 29er. I've been thinking of picking up a budget SS 29er, so this is tempting.
    I ride at night - see my tips for Night Cycling
    My Blog: Cycling For Beginners

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hkp2000 View Post
    hello mtnbiker, I would like to see if you know by any chance what are the items that I have to buy to make the Stout a 1x9 like what derailleur and stuff, I don't have an Idea and have some extra money to buy but don't know. and thaks for that site I will read it.
    You need a 9 speed shifter and derailleur. I use XT for both of these, but you can pick your own. On other bikes I've been happy with much lower level shimano components. Just make sure the shifter and derailleurs match (both shimano or SRAM; there are some exceptions). The bike should have come with a derailleur hanger to bolt the derailleur to.

Tim

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    BC, did this dealer have one in a 21"? If so, let me know. Thanks
    I like big bars and I cannot lie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimx200 View Post
    BC, did this dealer have one in a 21"? If so, let me know. Thanks
    The Amazon listing is only for the 17" model, but you might contact the seller to see if they have any other sizes.
    I ride at night - see my tips for Night Cycling
    My Blog: Cycling For Beginners

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast