Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Nishiki 29er Limited Edition

Tell me what you think
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nishiki 29er Limited Edition-n1.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images    

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Needs elevated chain stays...

AZ
    banned
    Spam alert.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wlhighlight View Post
    Needs elevated chain stays...
    First thing I thought too!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Nah, it isn't spam, just gloating. That bike is the prize for a sales contest that Dick's Sporting Goods had for their bike techs. It's a much-upgraded version of the standard Nishiki Kinzua that they sell, with a fairly awful paint job IMO.

(I just got an e-mail today saying mine was on the way)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeCochonDanseur View Post
    Nah, it isn't spam, just gloating. That bike is the prize for a sales contest that Dick's Sporting Goods had for their bike techs. It's a much-upgraded version of the standard Nishiki Kinzua that they sell, with a fairly awful paint job IMO.

(I just got an e-mail today saying mine was on the way)
    Congrats! Free bikes are always the best! Enjoy!

mtbr member
    you can send it this way, looking for a bike for the wifey. I am sure she will use it, looks lke a solid bike.....
    A person who never made a mistake,
    never tried anything new..... Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Saw the same one listed on craigslist in orange co with the exact same pics posted for $800.

Sup
    I'm still waiting for the Nishiki pro with XX1

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CYCLEJCE View Post
    First thing I thought too!
    i had a fluorescent yellow Ariel in high school. i loved that bike...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Spam alert.
    Definitely. Already posted in the classifieds.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Some one in State College Pa is trying to get $2500 for one.

The Nishiki brand has always been a custom sticker on a stock set up brand...

mtbr member
    What "stock set up brand" ran elevated chainstays?

My brother had a 24" mtb and later I bought a Nishiki tri bike one size too big... Still have the tri bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I know this an old thread bump, but I have a chance to pick up this same bike for $600 from an acquaintance who is a bike mechanic at Dick's. Is that a fair deal? Given the specs, it seems like a good deal to me, but I figured I'd ask before I pull the trigger. Thanks!

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by DETarch View Post
    I know this an old thread bump, but I have a chance to pick up this same bike for $600 from an acquaintance who is a bike mechanic at Dick's. Is that a fair deal? Given the specs, it seems like a good deal to me, but I figured I'd ask before I pull the trigger. Thanks!
    That's a pretty good price in my opinion if it's new or very lightly used. The fact that the bike is owned by a mechanic means it is probably assembled, adjusted and maintained right. They're $899 new at Dick's online plus shipping of $80 (with a $15 promotional credit).

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    It's brand new, and hasn't even been assembled, though he said he'll put it together and tune it up if I buy it. Might end up picking it up this week, I'll be sure to post a picture in this thread if I do.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I got mine for $100 less. It's a solid bike for either price. You can find some used 29ers with better components if you don't mind looking around. Hydraulic brakes and air dampened fork for $600 in a new 29er is pretty difficult to find. I've ridden the bike a handful of times and it performs well. If you're over 185lbs though you may need a beefier fork and other components tho.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by unaware View Post
    I got mine for $100 less. It's a solid bike for either price. You can find some used 29ers with better components if you don't mind looking around. Hydraulic brakes and air dampened fork for $600 in a new 29er is pretty difficult to find. I've ridden the bike a handful of times and it performs well. If you're over 185lbs though you may need a beefier fork and other components tho.
    even at 800 its a good price for those specs on an entry level 29er. and BTW Dick's is selling them now. they werent just prizes for the Tech.BUT I will point out that the wheelset WILL need up grading. On weinnman's web sit those x26's are in the urban catagory NOT Mountain.yes double walled, but the spokes pull through the eyelets. Not something I'd want on singletrack.I've had to upgrade two customers to Mavics who had these wheels on their bikes. the Fork is fine for 185lbs for XC or trail, Not Am or Freeriding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    it seems like a good deal to me, but I figured I'd ask before I pull the trigger. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DETarch View Post
    That is a pretty damn good price for a brand new bike with those specs, below Bikes Direct and Airborne prices.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by H_Tuttle View Post
    Some one in State College Pa is trying to get $2500 for one.

The Nishiki brand has always been a custom sticker on a stock set up brand...
    That is funny

Hopefully nobody is dumb enough to pay that much just because it has a different paint job.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    That is funny

Hopefully nobody is dumb enough to pay that much just because it has a different paint job.
    It's not just a new paint job, most of the components are upgraded. That was still a stupid price though.

The bike's been great (considering the whole "free" part). Wheels, stem, handlebars and seatpost are the same as the ones on the base model though. Those were the first things to go, there's been a notable improvement since.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by LeCochonDanseur View Post
    It's not just a new paint job, most of the components are upgraded. That was still a stupid price though.

The bike's been great (considering the whole "free" part). Wheels, stem, handlebars and seatpost are the same as the ones on the base model though. Those were the first things to go, there's been a notable improvement since.
    Gotcha

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    With a number of Kinzua Limited edition sightings, I think it would be interesting to track where some of the 155 bikes are located:
    #2 - Choctaw, OK - Small (Craigslist $700)
    #10 - Grottoes, VA (Craigslist $700)
    #13 - Pittsburgh, PA (Craigslist $800)
    #15 - St Louis, MO - Small (mine)
    #23 - Bakersfield, CA - Small (Craigslist $1050)
    #27 - Chicago, IL - Small (Craigslist $500)
    #41 - Dayton, OH (Craigslist $800)
    #53 - This thread - Medium (User: unaware)
    #58 - this thread - (User: JasonSlicker343)
    #112 - Pittsburgh, PA (Ebay )
    #117 - St Louis, MO - Medium (Ebay $503)
    #121 - Chicago, IL (Craigslist $500, User: DETarch)
    #129 - Charlotte, NC -Large (Craigslist $675)
    #131 - This thread (User: LeCochonDanseur)
    #138 - Harwinton, CT (Craigslist $1600)
    #139 - University Park, PA (unsold on Ebay $2000)
    #??? - Cumming, GA - Large (Craigslist $700)

I picked up mine off Craigslist, mint condition for $500. The bike tech was a road-biker and needed cash for an engagement ring. A similarly equipped bike would go for twice the amount if I purchased at Bikedirect, and at a local bike shop? forget about it!

I haven't taken the bike to a trail, but with limited riding around in my basement it shifts smooth and handles well. It probably weighs a bit north of 30 lbs.
    Last edited by johnamus; 02-10-2013 at 01:14 PM. Reason: added more bike numbers

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Mine is #131

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast