mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Niner wheel shortage

My LBS says they can't get me a Niner EMD9 XT build because the American Classic Terrains that are supposed to come on that bike are in shortage. Apparently they won't sell the build without them, and they won't supply an equal replacement. Thus, I wait while the best part of the short mtb season is in full-swing. Does this happen a lot in the mtb world or is Niner holding me hostage to make an extra dollar? I know I'm not being forced to buy that brand, but it's what I set my mind on and now don't want to have to turn away. Advice needed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    ETA for AC wheels to Niner is the 19th of June. Stans wheels is the 28th of May. It is just the time of year, happens every year all over the industry.

MTB B'dos
    Sorry Dude, feel for ya, but not really Loads of other great brands out there, nothing special about an EMD, just an avg XC alu HT, try looking at other brands.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

transmitter~receiver

Niner wheel shortage

[QUOTE=ehren51;10420123Does this happen a lot in the mtb world/QUOTE]
    Every year.
    If you want a bike "right now" I'd be looking at bikes in shops that I can see/put my hands on/ride.
    As much as it might make sense to you, there are a bunch of business deals behind the OEM specs that probably prevent Niner from just subbing another wheelset. They are a manufacturer, not a shop.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    thanks for the ETA trevrev97; that was information that i wasn't supplied with and was looking for. still frustrating but it helps to know that Niner isn't the only manufacturer that this happens to.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Locally, riders have bought other brands (redline) with the same spec, then swapped the frame to a Niner. Over the winter, they were able to save about $400 plus whatever they sold the redline frame for.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ehren51 View Post
    thanks for the ETA trevrev97; that was information that i wasn't supplied with and was looking for. still frustrating but it helps to know that Niner isn't the only manufacturer that this happens to.
    Your shop may not have known, that info was just recently sent to dealers. Good luck, I have been waiting for two months for my fork for my build, I have bult 10+ custom bikes and never have been able to order all my stuff in one day and get it right away, there is always at least one thing back ordered or something.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ehren51 View Post
    My LBS says they can't get me a Niner EMD9 XT build because the American Classic Terrains that are supposed to come on that bike are in shortage. Apparently they won't sell the build without them, and they won't supply an equal replacement. Thus, I wait while the best part of the short mtb season is in full-swing. Does this happen a lot in the mtb world or is Niner holding me hostage to make an extra dollar? I know I'm not being forced to buy that brand, but it's what I set my mind on and now don't want to have to turn away. Advice needed.
    had a similar situation with a Jet9 I was looking to purchase....these guys Buy 29er Online | Carbon for 29er Mountain Bikes | Niner RIP9 Carbon RDO Frame | Switchback Bikes were able to have Niner sub to a Sun Ringle wheelset cause the ACs were backordered.
    Small price difference in wheels but I didn't have to wait and the wheels are a little nicer

mtbr member
    I'm building an EMD from the frame up currently. That way...its exactly how I want it.

mtbr member

Niner wheel shortage

Quote Originally Posted by kenai View Post
    had a similar situation with a Jet9 I was looking to purchase....these guys Buy 29er Online | Carbon for 29er Mountain Bikes | Niner RIP9 Carbon RDO Frame | Switchback Bikes were able to have Niner sub to a Sun Ringle wheelset cause the ACs were backordered.
    Small price difference in wheels but I didn't have to wait and the wheels are a little nicer
    Switchback builds their own bikes and doesn't have to buy a Niner complete from Niner. They buy parts, do the build, dial it in for your weight, then ship to you. This, at least, is what they're doing for me and my alloy RIP 9.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29