Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Life Is Short

Niner WFO or Lenz LunchBox?

Which one is more burley? The Niner has this piece that looks like it holds the rear swing together next to the shock that may crack...The Lenz looks like an average but big faux 4 bar single pivot that looks pretty solid. Anyone own any of these two? I am looking for a 6" travel 9er under $6,000 Thanks.

The Niner does have the mounts for a Hammerschmidt which is an added plus because I have one in a box in the garage
    Last edited by fatcat; 07-12-2011 at 03:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Don't forget this bad boy

mtbr member
    Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I own both, however the WFO has much better components than the Box does, so it may be a little unfair to compare them. But I will say this: The WFO is heavier but stiffer, the Box is lighter and still really stiff. Both climb very well, the WFO is more efficient and the Box is plusher overall. Both have Dorado's so the HT angle is slack, more so on the Box.

They both have 150mm rear, both have ISCG tabs for a Hammerschmidt. The WFO had a bent downtube to allow for a reservoir air/coil shock the Lens does not, although Devin could prob make one for an upcharge?

For the budget you have, either one of these bikes could be built up nice and "burley". Both are great bikes, the WFO frame is slightly less expensive and available, so you could use the extra $$$ to get nicer components or pay more for a Lenz frame and have a work of art. It really is a win win choice.

-Nolan

Life Is Short
    thanks NOLAN, next question where and who makes a 150mm 12mm thru axle 29er wheel? Thanks in advance!

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sikocycles View Post
    Lunchbox
    Seconded.

This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    thanks NOLAN, next question where and who makes a 150mm 12mm thru axle 29er wheel? Thanks in advance!
    Anyone who can lace such a hub to a burly 29er rim No stock wheels that I know of.

Again, mikesee is an expert in that field as well. Check him out at lacemine29.com

mtbr member
    Just got a set of Hadley / Flow's for my almost complete LB from Mike. Would highly recommend the same set up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    Don't forget this bad boy
    I'd 'forget' the Intense for a bit, they're already redesigning the rear end to stiffen it up. It's got all the traits to be a stellar trail bike, but the rear end is rather flexy compared to the others. It was my first choice until riding the the LB and WFO.
    Last edited by highrustler; 07-12-2011 at 10:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by highrustler View Post
    I'd forget the Intense for a bit, they're already redesigning the rear end to stiffen it up. After riding all three, this frame is not nearly as stiff as either the LB or Niner.
    Interesting, I hadn't heard anyone mention that before. Thanks for sharing real world experience with us

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    Interesting, I hadn't heard anyone mention that before. Thanks for sharing real world experience with us
    A friend has been waiting for the new rear for over a month, ETA is supposedly end of July.

Ramp Local
    American Classic AM 29er

mtbr member
    I have a set of king hubs with gordo rims I could sell. PM me if interested

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    OP:

I would go with any good quality hub; Hadley, Kings, the new Hope evo or I9. Personally I am running Hadley rears and Hope fronts on both bikes. The rims are Velovity P35's, they are wide and can run tubless but the others mentioned above will be good as well.

Life Is Short
    I just got off the phone with a LBS regarding a rear 150mm thru axle 29 wheel. Jeezus! I dont wanna pay $650-700 for one stupid wheel minus cassette. whew! maybe I should just forget it and wait a few months or years when they become as common as a 26er 150mm thru axle.

mtbr member
    I just got off the phone with a LBS regarding a rear 150mm thru axle 29 wheel. Jeezus! I dont wanna pay $650-700 for one stupid wheel minus cassette. whew! maybe I should just forget it and wait a few months or years when they become as common as a 26er 150mm thru axle.
    What wheels were you looking at??? Like I said earlier: get a hold of Mike C from lacemine29.com and tell him your budget. Chad at Red Barn Bicycles is also very well regarded

I just tried the Universal Cycles wheelbuilder site quickly and you can get a wheel under $250 with an Azonic hub, DT Comp spokes, and a Flow or P35 rim

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    fatcat: that is way too much for one wheel, you should get a really nice wheelset for that much. You can get a Hope or Hadley rear hub online for under $300 or less, a rim should run you $75-90 and to get it built should not be more than $100. A front Hope hub is $100 or less plus a rim and build should be close to your quoted lbs price for one wheel.

Google product search is your friend, use it.

Another option is the WFO comes in 135mm rear and soon a 142mm. So you could go that route if your were leaning towards the Niner.

-Nolan

Life Is Short
    thanks you guys

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by nolan17 View Post

Another option is the WFO comes in 135mm rear and soon a 142mm. So you could go that route if your were leaning towards the Niner.

-Nolan
    FYI, we do have the maxle kit 142x12mm for the RIP9/WFO9 is in stock and this kit will turn any 135MM rear hydroformed model RIP9/WFO9 into a 142x12mm.

Brett
    Niner Bikes
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Brett,

No way to turn a 150mm into a 142mm is there?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    Brett,

No way to turn a 150mm into a 142mm is there?
    Colin,

Nope, you gotta stick with the wide 150mm rear.

Brett
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Did a DH ride on my PBJ yesterday after riding my Intense M9 all season. Wow What a rocket ship.
    Bike is so fast and fun. May be selling M9 and have it for my only ride.

Desert Seeker
    A couple of questions: Does your LB have a tapered head tube? If not, do you think that would account for the lower stiffness rating? Also, I thought the WFO was 140mm in the rear. Can you get 150 with a different set of rocker arms? Thanks for any insights!

- Greg

Quote Originally Posted by nolan17 View Post
    I own both, however the WFO has much better components than the Box does, so it may be a little unfair to compare them. But I will say this: The WFO is heavier but stiffer, the Box is lighter and still really stiff. Both climb very well, the WFO is more efficient and the Box is plusher overall. Both have Dorado's so the HT angle is slack, more so on the Box.

They both have 150mm rear, both have ISCG tabs for a Hammerschmidt. The WFO had a bent downtube to allow for a reservoir air/coil shock the Lens does not, although Devin could prob make one for an upcharge?

For the budget you have, either one of these bikes could be built up nice and "burley". Both are great bikes, the WFO frame is slightly less expensive and available, so you could use the extra $$$ to get nicer components or pay more for a Lenz frame and have a work of art. It really is a win win choice.

-Nolan

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    A couple of questions: Does your LB have a tapered head tube? If not, do you think that would account for the lower stiffness rating? Also, I thought the WFO was 140mm in the rear. Can you get 150 with a different set of rocker arms? Thanks for any insights!

- Greg
    Greg: My Lunchbox does not have a tapered HT and the WFO does, also the WFO has a 2011 Dorado with the 36mm stanctions, the Box has an 05 Dorado with the 32mm stanctions. This could be the difference in stiffness there. That is one of the reasons it is hard to compare the two.

The WFO does not have a different set of rockers to change the travel, however the Box does have different rockers for 5" or 6" of travel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by highrustler View Post
    A friend has been waiting for the new rear for over a month, ETA is supposedly end of July.
    Thinking they're shipping already. Checkout the modified rear triangle on Boberinoe's T29 with G1 dropouts

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast