mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Niner SIR (steel) vs. Motobecane FLY (titanium) similarly priced, which one to buy?

I could buy a discounted SIR for ~$600 or a FLY for ~$700 (frame + Reba fork = 1100, sell fork, ~$700 for frame only). Any reason not to go with titanium on this one?
    Last edited by Estuche; 02-20-2013 at 01:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    No.

I am the Tin Man!
    Ive been researching alot of frames, wanting to build up a bike myself for the first time in almost 20 years, and I havent found a better frame for the money than the Moto Ti.
    Flying the HiFi...Clyde style.

SOMEBODY I LOVE NEEDS A HEART!

I AM AN ORGAN DONOR, ARE YOU?

mtbr member
    The SIR 9 will allow you to run SS or Gears, the FLY is geared only.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob View Post
    The SIR 9 will allow you to run SS or Gears, the FLY is geared only.
    -I've seen a number of FLY Teams setup SS with chain tensioners, but I don't recommend that. I rode a that combination on my old Paragon for two years and hated how noisy it was. SSing is all about quiet IMO and chain slap disturbed my bliss.

The new Sir has a 44mm head tube which allows you to run a straight or tapered steer tube.

I'd go with the Sir b/c I've got a good LBS that sells em. Plus, I really like the white one. Either way, you are looking at two good frames. I do have a question thought.... Why sell a brand new Reba? That's a good fork. Good luck.

mtbr member
    I had a Sir and it is a nice bike but rather heavy. I prefer the Niner brand but in this case I'd go w the Moto Ti. You could always add a Philwood eccentric BB if you wanted to run the moto SS.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    You could also build a new wheel with an eno eccentric hub to go single speed on the moto Ti.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks to all of you for the great comments; I am thinking I will get the fly frame for its presumed durability, unless I hear someone say bad things about it before I commit to buy it

Quote Originally Posted by ppfeifer View Post
    I'd go with the Sir b/c I've got a good LBS that sells em. Plus, I really like the white one. Either way, you are looking at two good frames. I do have a question thought.... Why sell a brand new Reba? That's a good fork. Good luck.
    The only reason that I am considering selling the Reba is because I got a lefty fork for a great price a month ago! I agree that the Reba is a solid fork though.

I would go with the Niner, solely based on the fact that the guys at Niner are innovative and contribute to the national and local bike industry. My Niner (One 9) has been great, as well as their customer service. If the Sir9 seems too heavy for you, you can go Air9. The new One9's are also gear compatible with the included cable thingys, which will give you the versitility of the Sir9.

The perfessor
    Niner SIR (steel) vs. Motobecane FLY (titanium) similarly priced, which one to buy?-imag0149-2.jpg- I have a 29er Ti Fly and LOVE it.......I've run it both SS and geared (current set up), and it ran sweet either way - you can't go wrong.....its currently running on a full XT drivetrain w/XT shifters (2X9)
    Trifecta is Perfecta: 26" FSR Geared / 29er SS Rigid / 29er Ti Hardtail Geared