2 22.22%
  • Great.

7 77.78%
  • Good.

0 0%
  • Bad.

0 0%
    Visit 29er.tv

Niner S.I.R. 9 / SIR 9 Build, How'd I Do?

Well, the biking bug has bitten me again HARD. Went from having no bikes two weeks ago to two bikes now (one in my possession, one with build parts on the way).

Anyway, ordered a Motobecane Fantom 29Pro, was fairly happy with it but found it a wee bit small, so that one is getting passed down to the wife.

Found a stellar deal on a Niner SIR 9 frame and White Bros Rock Solid fork ($500 shipped incl. headset and seat clamp), so away the build went. Most everything I bought new from eBay, MTBR classifieds or online retailers.

How do you think I did? According to my build spreadsheet, should be right at 23lbs.

Brakes: Magura Louise BAT
    Brake Rotors: Magura Marta SL
    Cassette: SRAM PG-990
    Chain: KMC X9 SL
    Chainguide: N-Gear Jump Stop
    Crankset: Truvativ AKA 1.1G Single GXP
    Derlr (Front): N/A
    Derlr (Rear): SRAM X9 Medium Cage
    Fork: White Bros Rock Solid Carbon Fiber
    Frame: Niner Sir 9, Solid Gold, M
    Handlebar: Race Face Deus XC Flat Wide
    Grips: Specialized XC Locking Grips
    Headset: Cane Creek S1
    Pedals: Wellgo MG-1, Gold
    Saddle: Cutter Slick Cutter
    Seatpost: 2011 Race Face Turbine 27.2mm
    Shifter (Front): N/A
    Shifter (Rear): SRAM X9
    Stem: Race Face Deus XC, 90mm
    Tire (Front): Bontrager 29.2 EXP TLR 29 x 2.1
    Tire (Rear): Bontrager 29.2 EXP TLR 29 x 2.1
    Tubes: Stan's Sealant
    Wheel (Front): Stan's ZTR Flow Wheelset
    Wheel (Rear): Stan's ZTR Flow Wheelset

All in at $1650 shipped. How'd I do?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Niner S.I.R. 9 / SIR 9 Build, How'd I Do?-008.jpg  

Niner S.I.R. 9 / SIR 9 Build, How'd I Do?-009.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    That's a lot of bike for the price. Nice. I'd love to see a thread started to see who could bring in the best build at the best price. Say something like: Who built the best bike at under $1500 while sourcing all the parts herself/himself. Include parts list.

Visit 29er.tv
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    That's a lot of bike for the price. Nice. I'd love to see a thread started to see who could bring in the best build at the best price. Say something like: Who built the best bike at under $1500 while sourcing all the parts herself/himself. Include parts list.
    I like it! I'd be just over, but not by much. I really tried to focus on weight/durability-to-cost ratio, and think I did well. Found some major steals on eBay on new components. Actually, the only used things on the build are the frame/fork and stem.

I'll go ahead and start that thread now! What section?

Visit 29er.tv

banned

nice.

Have a gold MCR myself. It's more of a bronze/gold. You can get bronze stem top caps off e bay that are close in color to the frame. All kinds of funny novelty's to choose from. Good for a laugh out on the trail. I think the sellers name is Fast Freddie 4.

Have fun building.

mtbr member

Great job!....

As long as your building the bike that YOU WANT then you cannot go wrong. I have built all of my bikes from the ground up. Its all about getting EXACTLY what you want, not what some manufacturer spec'ed out for the masses.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

Visit 29er.tv
    Quote Originally Posted by edouble View Post
    As long as your building the bike that YOU WANT then you cannot go wrong. I have built all of my bikes from the ground up. Its all about getting EXACTLY what you want, not what some manufacturer spec'ed out for the masses.
    Agreed, and I think I accomplished that. Still not sure about the rigid fork, especially since I'm 230lb, but we'll see.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrookeiv View Post
    Agreed, and I think I accomplished that. Still not sure about the rigid fork, especially since I'm 230lb, but we'll see.
    I'm about 210-215, have an MCR-9 and been riding it a long time with the Rock Solid fork. Mine RS fork developed a crown-creak that worries me, but I hope to solve that this weekend at a swap meet by picking up a suspension fork of some type.

I've really enjoyed the MCR, but rigid is really starting to wear on me (even with a 2.4 tire on the front). No problem for the short rides (< 3 hours) but going for the "epic" stuff I prefer on the weekends (4+ hours in the saddle) has been getting old.

I really like the gold color too (mine is..).

ps. like your build quite a bit.

Visit 29er.tv
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    I'm about 210-215, have an MCR-9 and been riding it a long time with the Rock Solid fork. Mine RS fork developed a crown-creak that worries me, but I hope to solve that this weekend at a swap meet by picking up a suspension fork of some type.

I've really enjoyed the MCR, but rigid is really starting to wear on me (even with a 2.4 tire on the front). No problem for the short rides (< 3 hours) but going for the "epic" stuff I prefer on the weekends (4+ hours in the saddle) has been getting old.

I really like the gold color too (mine is..).

ps. like your build quite a bit.
    Yea, just found a stellar deal on a Manitou Tower and might have to pick that up and sell the Rock Solid. It also worries me that I'm literally right on the cusp of the weight limit on the Rock Solid fork.

nocturnal oblivion
    I ran a Pace Carbon rigid on my SIR, it's not surprisingly not bad. Two things are a must though with the carbon fork: Ergon grips and a high volume front tire.
    Given the above, very rideable. Only on the most fast and chattery runs was it tough on the arms.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe