mtbr member

Niner S.I.R. 9 Opinions

Hey guys what do you think of the Bio-Centric BB system? I am pretty much at wit's end for the ideal steel bike for SS and geared platform. I go either a Niner or something else. A bike I can race with but have fun with a SS, it must be steel or ti. A bike frame to end it all.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    For over 4 years it has worked well for me.

mtbr member
    This has been covered multiple times, you'll have people like me and olegbabich above who have had no problems and love it and you'll find people that have had nothing but problems with it.

Dickhouse
    Dec 2010
    Had mine for almost two years and absolutely love it. Niners EBB definitely has its issues. I have torn it apart and rebuilt numerous times and adjusted it on the trail more times than I can count, but nothing is perfect. If you don't mind doing your own work it's not that bad. And if you set it up right it will probably work pretty well.

As far as the bike, I have fallen in love with it; keep trying different platforms, and just keep coming back to the SIR. I raced mine this year in SS rigid makeup and it is quite capable, but also comfortable for all-day riding.

Just wish they'd drop the price a lil cuz I'd buy a second.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Another great frame that can be run SS or geared is the Singular Swift. I've raced it as an SS, but recently been loving it as a 1x8. I don't think I've heard one complaint about the Phil Wood EBB slipping or creaking either. Comes with an awesome fork too for $250 less than the Sir9.
    Just food for thought.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I bought one because of the versatility, however, I have only ridden as a SS for 6 mths. I spent a lot of time dealing with the EBB but I think it is finally quiet. Read all the prior posts and try the recommendations. I have a steel fork which is soon going to be replaced with a shock. Overall, great ride and value with Niner.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    i have an older SIR9 with the old lock screws- works fine without creaking- great bike. have not considered upgrading to the new Bio-Centric BB system.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Mine has been trouble free. The best riding bike I have ever owned. Next new bike will be another one set up 1x9.

ballbuster
    Second the Singular Swift, although the frame along is about a pound heavier. Feels great, tho. EBB is easy peasy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Absolutely love my Sir9. Bought it not knowing if I would want to run SS (which I built it for). It has been SS for two years now, I haven't had to touch the EBB. Hands down my favorite bike in my stable.

It reminds me of riding my old BMX bike with bigger wheels and more awesome sauce.