mtbr member

Niner ROS9 All-Mountain hardtail

Niner ROS 9

67 HA, 73 SA @140mm, 16.8" CS, 142x12 Maxle Rear, MSRP $899 USD (frame, and maxle)

Last edited by eurospek; 06-18-2013 at 10:10 AM.
    konahonzo

beater
    "Zero mm of travel is efficient in every chainring." Made me chuckle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Ride Over Sh*t ....great name and a very cool bike. I really want one

Warrior's Society
    Very nice......had me sold.....til I saw the EBB.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Nice ..but:
    Actual chain-stay 16.8", they've shortened the top-tube and max 2.35 rear tyre (or tire!). Hmm.

beater

Quote Originally Posted by Clink View Post
    they've shortened the top-tube
    That makes sense for this style of frame.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    I thought the name was Roots of Steel because Niner's first bike was steel?

also

WEIGHT?

If its under 5lbs, I'll be pleasantly surprised because at $900 the Carver Ti 420 starts too look obtainable.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

29er
    Apr 2010
    16.8" cs...would have been better if it were a tiny bit shorter

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    That makes sense for this style of frame.
    Does it? 24" ett on Honzo (18") with short stem works well IMO.

mtbr member
    Nice ..but:
    Actual chain-stay 16.8", they've shortened the top-tube and max 2.35 rear tyre (or tire!). Hmm.
    Ooops. Looked at the wrong column.
    konahonzo

beater
    Does it? 24" ett on Honzo (18") with short stem works well IMO.
    What size are we talking about? What I'm getting at is that in general, I think these style frames benefit from a tighter cockpit due to more of an upright, centered riding position. Just shortening the stem on XC geometry doesn't accomplish that.

mtbr member
    Well, I am going to assume this thing will not be discounted anytime soon. So does anyone know which Northern California LBS or online retailer will be most likely to have one for sale the soonest?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/MarketingDe...OSLOGO_600.jpg

This image would make a great tshirt....this image was in todays Niner's newsletter

AOK
    mtbr member

Not crazy about their choice to use an EBB.

Also from the newsletter: "Tabs under the bottom bracket shell accept an proprietary MRP XCG bash guard for optional extra protection".
    Curious decision here rather than just using standard ICGS mounts. I can only guess that ICSG wasn't possible due to the EBB.

Nice looking bike otherwise, although I will stick with my Yelli.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by rushman3 View Post
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/MarketingDe...OSLOGO_600.jpg

This image would make a great tshirt....this image was in todays Niner's newsletter
    Agreed. I had the same thought. I'd be surprised if it doesn't happen sooner or later.

AOK
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    Pretty sure Niner's first bike was the ONE9 which is Aluminum. The SIR9 came later.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Nice ..but:
    It looks like they've got a Hans Dampf 2.35" on there, in which case the rear clearance should be pretty good. That's a big tire.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Nice ..but:
    Does actual CS length matter? Is it like TT vs ETT? In my head, it makes sense that Eff. CS is what matters vs actual CS, but I'm not that knowledgeable.

Regardless, it looks like a pretty nice frame. $900 for a 4130 frame is disappointing. I was hoping for at least the 853. I'm sure it will still ride nice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    I ride a Banshee Paradox and thought that this is the first Niner I would like to buy and then I too saw the EBB. Disappointing.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have never been a big fan of the Niners I have ridden but this one makes me salivate. Should be a fun bike. Too bad I don't need a new hardtail.

MTB B'dos
    I'll 3rd that one! No interest in not using gears, why buy something that'll probably give trouble and add weight when I don't need it, sliders would have been a much better option. Also price, For that coin I'd take one of the Titus Ti Fireline EVOs anyday or a custom Curtlo steel.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    I ride a Banshee Paradox and thought that this is the first Niner I would like to buy and then I too saw the EBB. Disappointing.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

AOK
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by rushman3 View Post
    Looks like it already is a t-shirt. See what the guy holding the scale is wearing?
    http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/06/18/...ctual-weights/

mtbr member
    While the maxle rear end is nice. EBB = no thanks and for $900, huh? I'll leave it for the Niner lovers and stick to my Nimble 9.
    When I die I'm afraid my wife will sell all of my bikes, parts and gear for what I told her I paid for them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sicboy541 View Post
    While the maxle rear end is nice. EBB = no thanks and for $900, huh? I'll leave it for the Niner lovers and stick to my Nimble 9.
    While I love EBB's more than sliding drops, the new Nimble 9's are just too sexy. And much better priced. I'd imagine the weight would be just a tad over 5lbs, which means no real difference. Can't really see a reason to go with the Niner.

6.8lbs? Really?
    Last edited by PHeller; 06-18-2013 at 06:08 PM.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    nevermind
    Last edited by sicboy541; 06-18-2013 at 04:25 PM. Reason: because i wanted to
    When I die I'm afraid my wife will sell all of my bikes, parts and gear for what I told her I paid for them.

mtbr member
    And why the massively long headtube lengths? The XL is 145mm long, in comparison my XL Honzo is 110mm long, 10mm of spacers, Chromag 25mm rise bars and it fits spot on.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    And why the massively long headtube lengths? The XL is 145mm long, in comparison my XL Honzo is 110mm long, 10mm of spacers, Chromag 25mm rise bars and it fits spot on.
    Dude. 110mm (Honzo) + 10mm spacers + 25mm rise bars = 145mm.

If anything, this bike should fit you better and not look goofy with no spacers, a flat bar, and zero degree stem. Just saying.

Maybe I've completely missed something, which is entirely possible.

mtbr member
    The head tube length is inline with their other models, XL Rip 9 RDO is 145mm. Niner has never had short head tubes compared to other manufacturers.

Regardless, I'm bummed that the WFO RDO wasn't announced today

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sicboy541 View Post
    Yeah, I'll keep my Nimble with it's 16.25" stays too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Still waiting for someone to build this bike in carbon...

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Geo Chart shows 16.8" is to the center of the EBB shell, so with the EBB in a rear position it would make the CS significantly shorter. I am stoked to see the EBB because I only have one use left for a hardtail... my singlespeed. And currently my ss is a dorky XC geo bike and is going up for sale as soon as I have a SS ROS built.

Bro Mountainbiker

also

WEIGHT?

If its under 5lbs, I'll be pleasantly surprised because at $900 the Carver Ti 420 starts too look obtainable.
    We can dream! I doubt it though. Kona honzo is 4130, looks very similar, and weighs around 6.5 pounds. Sliders instead of Ebb.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Bro Mountainbiker
    These bikes are total pigs set up SS. I had my Honzo set up SS for 1 ride and it was miserable. The climbing was awful with a 140mm Marz 44, but the main kicker was I couldnt get any serious speed on the descents!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Who ended-up finally naming that damn bike?
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    Dude. 110mm (Honzo) + 10mm spacers + 25mm rise bars = 145mm.

If anything, this bike should fit you better and not look goofy with no spacers, a flat bar, and zero degree stem. Just saying.

Maybe I've completely missed something, which is entirely possible.
    How would it fit me better?

I never really liked the feel of any flat bar I've tried, plus with such a tall headtube length, even with a flat bar, you still need a spacer or two under the stem to clear the top tube with the controls to not smack them into the top tube during a crash. Or run a truly weird brake lever angle. I ran zero spacers last season but had too many close calls in crashes and I'd like my top tube to stay damage free.

Also played around with a few more spacers on my setup last year before trimming steeree, for a total of 20mm below the stem and it was too high, washed out the front end, didn't have too much weight on the front with so many spacers. Or maybe it's just Niner's tactic to make a long headtube to sell more Low Top RDO drop bars.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    The head tube length is inline with their other models, XL Rip 9 RDO is 145mm. Niner has never had short head tubes compared to other manufacturers.

Regardless, I'm bummed that the WFO RDO wasn't announced today
    Their XL FS frames look proportional and I like 'em, as for their XL hardtail frames, never liked their look, they look huge and unflattering to me. It's going to look like an XL SIR9 frame but with a shorter ETT.

The ROS9 geo is quite similar to the Chromag Surface (68 HA, 74 SA, 115mm HT, 25" ETT for XL 21"), but with a much longer headtube. Just trying to visualize the XL ROS9 frameset.

The only other All-Mountain 29er hardtail with such a massive headtube is the XXL 2Souls QH with a 150mm headtube, but that never made into production.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    These bikes are total pigs set up SS. I had my Honzo set up SS for 1 ride and it was miserable. The climbing was awful with a 140mm Marz 44, but the main kicker was I couldnt get any serious speed on the descents!
    The Fox 34 140 is taller than the Marz 44 and I have no problem clearing any ascents, seated or standing. The Honzo just flies, but more so on the downhill.
    konahonzo

Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    Kingdom Bikes in the UK was working on it, calling it the Brigante CRB. They were aiming for lower 4lbs range for the largest sizes (so roughly the same weight as titanium), but around $1400 USD, which although undercuts their Brigante Titanium model, is still roughly the price of a Carver Ti 420.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    That's not really apples-to-apples though. The Rip has a zero stack headset vs external cup on the Ros. The Rip also has a 1.1" higher bottom bracket than the Ros. That means for the same fork/stem/bar/seat setup, the Ros will have bars that are 1.5" higher than the Rip. It's also 1.4" higher than my Yelli which I run w/flats and a near straight stem.

mtbr member
    I really like the look of this, I am hoping my local shop gets one in for me to try

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    That's not really apples-to-apples though. The Rip has a zero stack headset vs external cup on the Ros. The Rip also has a 1.1" higher bottom bracket than the Ros. That means for the same fork/stem/bar/seat setup, the Ros will have bars that are 1.5" higher than the Rip. It's also 1.4" higher than my Yelli which I run w/flats and a near straight stem.
    Agreed. I was just making the point that every Niner bike has the same head tube length across all models.

29ers Forever
    If this is a steel frame, I would not buy it. Instead I would buy a Stache 8, but I wouldn't buy another hardtail if I could buy a Fuel EX8 29er for a couple hundred more.

beater

? It is a steel frame. I'm not sure I follow your train of thought from this frame to the Stache to the Fuel. They're all pretty different.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    If this is a steel frame, I would not buy it. Instead I would buy a Stache 8, but I wouldn't buy another hardtail if I could buy a Fuel EX8 29er for a couple hundred more.
    This made zero sense.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    Cool story bro.

The Stache has super long chainstays at 17.52" CS, might as well write it off as an XC frame.
    konahonzo

fc
    stoked Administrator
    We put up our impressions here:

Niner ROS 9 – Steel, Long Travel Hardtail Released | Mountain Bike Review

Two of our crew are in Park City, Utah riding it today so they should report back shortly.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Interesting that you feel that way. I have been pleasantly surprised at how well my single speed Honzo with a 140mm fork climbs. I thought it would be way harder than my single speed SIR9 (which is probably 5lbs lighter) but it is only slightly more difficult to climb. And I don't get the thing about downhill speed unless your riding area has a lot of mild downhill grades that benefit from kicking a big gear to get more speed. I have been having more downhill fun (and air time) on the Honzo that I did on my WFO9.

It's really funny though - the ROS9 looks exactly like my SIR9 and Honzo had a baby. It's even got the same color as big daddy Honzo. But unfortunately, it also has a genetic defect that it inherited from it's momma - an EBB.

29ers Forever
    Well, I re-read my first post on this thread and yes, it didn't make any sense to me either. What I meant to say was that in my mind, I would only buy bikes with aluminum frames, and that I would be disappointed if this bike was a steel frame only. Then I said that if this bike was a steel frame only that I would buy a Trek Stache 8, but I already have a hardtail like it, so I'd buy a full suspension bike.
    I hope that made more sense

mtbr member
    Niner, the exclusive 29er bike producer are a bit late with this one aren't they? Are they finally taking note of the short chainstay, slack head angle, grin - win combo.
    A fail for this reason alone.
    Have mtbr done a review on the Yelli yet?

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbem View Post
    Niner, the exclusive 29er bike producer are a bit late with this one aren't they?
    Not necessarily. Sure frames of that flavor have been available for a few years, but it has been (and still is) a small market. It's been pretty much limited to custom, small batches from the Canfield Brothers, or Kona.

Niner showed a one-off hardtail based on the RIP9 a couple years ago, so they've obviously been thinking in this direction for a while. IMO their strengths and design DNA have been solidly XC since the beginning, but it looks to me like they're developing in other directions now.

mtbr member
    Kingdom Bikes in the UK was working on it, calling it the Brigante CRB. They were aiming for lower 4lbs range for the largest sizes (so roughly the same weight as titanium), but around $1400 USD, which although undercuts their Brigante Titanium model, is still roughly the price of a Carver Ti 420.
    nice to see a lightweight carbon 29er HT w slack HA and short CS--i had no idea these were in the pipeline when i told sean @ canfield that the bros should make a carbon yelli.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    Who ended-up finally naming that damn bike?
    maybe shoulda been Niner CGC, aka "Canfield Geo Clone"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbem View Post
    Have mtbr done a review on the Yelli yet?
    No need for a MTBR YS review...The Yelli Screamy thread speaks for itself.

Yelli Screamy by Canfield
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by slo_rider View Post
    canfield that the bros should make a carbon yelli.
    It doesn't matter who makes it, price will be a determining factor. It would need to slot between a titanium and steel/alloy bike. $1000 would be about my cutoff, otherwise I'll go with XCAD or Carver.

Feel Good About Hood
    FWIW I took my new Nimble 9 to the shop today to get the headset pressed in and the mechanic was all "Whoa, what is this? It's like that new Niner only way better. No EBB and sexy lines!" Told him about the company, he got on the computer and looked it up, almost ordered one right there.

I have nothing against Niner, they make fine bikes. But I just don't get the EBB, proprietary chain guide, downtube cable routing, and the price. Horses for courses and all that.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I don't know. DT cable routing protects from rocks and is it off the way. And I've had the ebb single bolt and dual bolt. Both were solid. Nothing against sliders but I had a ton of issues with slipping and creaking. I think people are turned off of ebbs that were made in the 20s. No reason to hate in 2013 though
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleForScience View Post
    I don't know. DT cable routing protects from rocks and is it off the way. And I've had the ebb single bolt and dual bolt. Both were solid. Nothing against sliders but I had a ton of issues with slipping and creaking. I think people are turned off of ebbs that were made in the 20s. No reason to hate in 2013 though
    You have seen the whole thread on fixes for Niner ebb issues?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    You have seen the whole thread on fixes for Niner ebb issues?
    That's for the Version 1 ebb though. Biocentric II uses a 2 bolt design. I had a few small issues with creaking with v1, I put v2 in my SIR9 (v1) and it's perfect. No slipping or creaking at all. It literally has been set and forget. I have more issues and noise coming from the maxle on my fs bike than I ever have had with EBB's!

If you never have any plan to run this bike as a singlespeed, then just buy a set of their press fit CYA cups. Better to have that as an option than ebb and sliders!

This bike is super versatile with the CYA cup option. Slacked out is not my style, but it does actually have some really cool features and designs. Would love to demo one!

mtbr member
    I love how they did the FD mount, looks super clean when removed...

I think the ROS9 has plenty of good features, it's just that with factors like price and weight and the competition make it tough sell for some folks.

For other (less-discerning) folks, it'll be a good buy.

I'm just messing with you
    With it being Niner I was expecting it to be expensive, but I was also expecting it to be lighter than the competition. It's OK to cost more but something about it needs to stand out.

The EBB came at me from out of left field though. I really wasn't expecting that.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    If you never have any plan to run this bike as a singlespeed, then just buy a set of their press fit CYA cups. Better to have that as an option than ebb and sliders!
    Not really, you will still have an additional unnecessary mechanical interface that serves no purpose. Also the frame is then costing you an extra $67.

If it came with a straightforward threaded bottom bracket shell like my Paradox or Yelli, I'd place an order. I never liked the sliders on the Nimble 9 either.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    Agreed! Love my Honzo, but after owning a Yelli the extra weight is noticable. Long trail rides are where I really enjoy these bikes, so I'd love to see a lighter low/slack/short carbon AM 29'er with clearance for big tires that could be jumped and such.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Agreed! Love my Honzo, but after owning a Yelli the extra weight is noticable. Long trail rides are where I really enjoy these bikes, so I'd love to see a lighter low/slack/short carbon AM 29'er with clearance for big tires that could be jumped and such.
    And, I would add, special attention to compliance I the right places.

Justin Vander Pol
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Jon, are you listening? Build it! I'd love a super strong, snappy carbon 4.5 lb frame that is pretty much exactly the Diamondback Mason or Kona Honzo. Sliding drops are key for me since I'm really only interested in a hardtail for winter SSing.

There's definitely some fun steel 29ers hardtails out there right now!

Chumley for prez!
    I'll withhold judgement on the EBB v2.0 until I ride it. That seems reasonable right? In theory I like the idea of being able to micro-adjust the geometry (CS, bb, etc.).

The XL sizing looks spot on for a guy my size, I like the stealth reverb routing, and the thru axle rear. It's a bit on the heavy side, and I agree that a carbon version would be awesome. However, since this is a bit of a departure for Niner, makes sense to me to try it out in steel first.

Sign me up.
    -n-

mtbr member
    May 2009

also

WEIGHT?

Where have you found the Carver Ti for $900?, I'm there. $1400 online is the best I've seem

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TBMD9er View Post
    Where have you found the Carver Ti for $900?, I'm there. $1400 online is the best I've seem
    I think that's his point. When a production 4130 steel frame starts to get within spitting distance of a titanium frame, the titanium looks more and more attainable.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Got it. For an extra $500 why not get the goodness and weight savings of titanium. That's what I'm thinking as well.

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TBMD9er View Post
    Got it. For an extra $500 why not get the goodness and weight savings of titanium. That's what I'm thinking as well.
    Sounds good on paper.
    Will it actually have clearance for a 2.4 rear tire?
    30.9 or 31.6 seat tube for dropper seatposts?
    Will the downtube clear the crown of any fork you might choose?
    Might be nice & light, but will it be too flexy?
    Full length cable housing?
    Sliding drops or EBB?

Keeping all this in mind... you can get a Honzo frame for under $500.
    The ROS9 review is ironic in that frames that check all these boxes have been available for 3yrs now, it's hardly a new phenomenon. Hitting all this with a lighter weight is where there's room for innovation & sales.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yup, basically the same bike as my Honzo but cost $400 more and comes with EBB. No thanks I'll stick with big blue. Now if only Kona or Canfield would come out with a Carbon AM hardtail to change the game.

mtbr member
    I have to say, I think it's a nice looking bike...especially with the pictured build kit. But, I love my TransAM29, for the price of the ROS I got a frame and Fox Float. To me the TA is sexier, and it has iscg mounts. And it's green.
    Transition TransAM 29er
    Stan's Arch EX
    Thomson Bits

I'm with stupid
    I will just stick with my nimble nine. Well kinda, Im trying to talk my buddy into buying my orange gen 1 frame so I cant pick up a gen 2 Chrome frame. Like niner but canfield is moar better...haha

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    is it only me who thinks that 900 USD for a fro mo frame is quite a bit of money? dont get me wrong, I was really looking forward to this bike (use a mcr so far...)?

mtbr member
    for me, yes--$900 for a steel hardtail frame is more than i'm willing to pay right now. although i was willing to pay canfield MSRP for a 1st gen N9 last fall ($700 iirc). as luck would have it, i found a good deal on a used N9 frame for $380.

as others have posted, Ti or carbon frames become a consideration when pricing gets around $1k or more. and for the same price range as the ROS 9, i'd definitely consider a Chromag Rootdown, although it looks like the only way to run the Rootdown as a SS would be w eccentric rear hub or chain tensioner...

fwiw, bikeman.com is selling 2013 Honzo frames for $525: Bikeman Kona Honzo Frame Only, MD, Matte Gold, 2013

MSRP for Trans Am 29 is $700 on Transitions web site, and 2nd generation Nimble 9's are $750 on Canfield's site.

all things considered, those 2013 Honzo's look like a screaming good deal.

EDIT: doh! 2012 Honzo frames are all out of stock on bikeman's site, but corrected link to available 2013 franes (M, L, XL)
    Last edited by slo_rider; 06-22-2013 at 03:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Just posted mine in the all mountain hardtail sticky. Awesome, awesome bike!
    Pip.