Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

New question here. Niner RIP9 vs Trek/GF Rumblefish

Rode a new Trek/GF Rumblefish2 at a demo day and loved the extra travel on the fs 29er. However, lately I've been reading up on Niner's RIP9 and it seems that it has been getting far better reviews since they've overhauled the design. As of right now I am leaning more towards the RIP9 because I like the customization...I can get exactly what I want up front rather than putting the extra money into different parts with the RF (not a huge fan of Bontrager parts...)

I have not had the chance to test ride the RIP9 yet but my only concern is regarding the head angle. In some of the pictures I've seen it looks kind of steep...am I just imagining this? I have only read one review mentioning that it felt too steep during downhill and I'm wondering if any RIP9 owners ever feel the same way. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

**Not looking for any other type of bike and I'm aware of the price difference, so please no posts trying sell me on Specialized or anything like that**
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Niner RIP9 vs Trek/GF Rumblefish-rip9.jpg  

Niner RIP9 vs Trek/GF Rumblefish-rf2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I have assembled and flat-ground-test-rode a Rumblefish 1 and was impressed witht he quality of the frame and parts as well as the relatively nimble ride of the bike. I've had good luck with the Duster wheels on other bikes - very solid rims that are easy to air up tubeless with the TLR strips and valves. I hink Bntrager kit is pretty under rated stuff, but to each their own. I would probably swap the bars to a flat bar, but other than that leave the bike as is. I haven't spent any time on a Rip 9 so I can't speak to that.

Cars Are Evil
    How much do you weigh? The Fishers have 28-spoke wheels on a lot of the models. They also don't have tapered steerers on some models. If you can afford to put together a RIP you'll have a better bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermont29er
    How much do you weigh? The Fishers have 28-spoke wheels on a lot of the models. They also don't have tapered steerers on some models. If you can afford to put together a RIP you'll have a better bike.
    Tough answer...right now I am 6'2'' 240#. That being said, my Homegrown frame bent about 10 months ago (due to a bad crash, not weight) and I have done virtually no exercise since...you know how that goes. I normally weigh around 185-190# and plan on getting back to somewhere near that range once I start riding again. From what I've read both frames are very solid but perhaps the RIP9 a little more so.

Also...anyone have good recommendations for 29er wheelset strong enough to support hard riding for someone my size? Prefer under $750-800 for the set. Just need something strong and reasonably light.

mtbr member
    The cva suspension on the rip will pedal amazing.

The single pivot trek/fisher NEEDS the pro pedal or it will bob like a pogo stick.

also the g2 forks on the trek/fishers is another deal breaker for me. It makes them steer like a truck.

Cars Are Evil
    Flows on your choice of hubs. I like Hadleys because they aren't as loud as others. If you plan to use a 36 tooth rear cog be sure to get strong hubs.

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden a Rumblefish but I demoed a '10 Rip 9. I was very impressed with the Rip. It climbed great, the cva suspension seemed to subtlely assist uphill & the bike pedaled light for its weight. Downhill the bike cleaned all the rock gardens I could find. For '11 I read that Niner slackened the HA by 1 degree. I'm sure that both bikes are great, I think the RIP would probably cost a bit more but if you can swing it, it's a nice ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    If money is not a limiting factor in the choice, get the RIP9 w/ Stans Flow rims on Hope Pro hubs. Loud but light and strong wheels. Great bike.

mtbr member
    Rode the RF and Jet9. Ended up buying a RIP 9 from Speedgoat, got the exact wheels I wanted, but could not get Hopes on the Arches. So far the bike has exceeded all expectations. I am definitely a RIP 9, so much that in the next year or so, I think the chica will be getting a Jet or RIP.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have not ridden the Niner but I did ride several brands before buying my RF 1. I could not be happier with it. I hope to have this bike for a LONG time! I don't get the "steers like a truck" idea. I have owned a few HT 29ers and none have been any better than the GF in my opinion. Anyway, I hear good things about both of these bikes so it would come down to price, components, and looks. If you could test them then that would be the primary consideration. Aside from upgrading the crankset to an SLX double, I have left it stock so far. The tires are stock but I did install a Stan's kit to go tubeless. I love the way the bike rides.

I am 6ft tall and 240 lbs. I ride mostly with PP off and do not see any significant issue with bobbing. I have the shocks set for my needs and I honestly just love the ride.

Todd

JRR
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have been on both and both are great bikes.RIP with raw finish just looks great compared to the GF But At 240# you will want the Rumblefish susp. and dual vavle shock for sure.The bike is really fun to ride and handling is better imho.Bonty duster wheels are no joke,they did go to 28 spoke but the rims are wide and do tubeless very well.12/142 rear end on the GF.RIP has 150mm option,but looks like 12/142 maybe winning the new standard there.GF has brand spec. rear shock and Fork if that concerns you when upgrading, Which I hate when brands do that.But for me the RF was a good bit better ride,just wished it looked like that RIP

mtbr member
    Hands down, no question. Go with the RIP9.

I had the first generation and currently have a Milk Dud ANO w/Fox/XT Build and it is by far the best AM bike I have ever built and I have owned several.

Clearly this is my opinion but I assure you it is an educated one.

Please Enjoy,

PF

EXCUSES ARE THE NAILS IN THE COFFIN OF FAILURE.

mtbr member
    I was also concerned about the HA of the RIP but made a leap of faith that Niner new a thing or two about designing 29ers. I did a little urban test ride on a RF and liked but the draw backs were no available G2 140mm fork and didn't know what that would do to the handling upgrading to standard fork. With the CVA suspension there is no noticeable bob when mashing uphill Second, the RF will never have the resale that the RIP is going to have. Either bike will be great in reality, it depends if you want just another run of the mill production bike that is forgetable. And all the G2 142 and shock on the Trek/GF is a gimmick so you have to buy from them at retail cost.

mtbr member
    go rip its hydroformed tubing is way sexier, and that cva suspension is way effecient, you probably wont even use the propedal....

mtbr member
    If you go for the RIP9, at your size, spring for the 10mm through axle rear if you have the cash. No sense in letting that rear have any flex. I did it on mine, and no regrets - it tracks perfectly, no wiggle.
    Last edited by schnee; 03-05-2011 at 11:24 PM.

I hate that name.
    I have a 2010 RF1, and I'm building a 2011 RF1 as a SS/backup/loaner. I don't even bother with the propedal, the bike climbs well enough without it. I do not think it handles like a truck, it handles like a trail bike should. The head angle is right in the sweet spot for a 29. The 28 spoke Duster wheels are basically the same set up as the Rhythm wheelsets were, but that being said, at my weight (270), I will not use them.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    i'm pretty sure everything you read here is going to be people with niner's telling you to buy a niner and vice versa.

only advice i can give is that i have a RF1 with stock wheels, i'm 215# and i've tried really hard to find the bottom of the suspension. my wheels have held up fine then again i only have about 15 or 20 rides on the fish. i don't feel like the bike handles like a truck at all. it's very nimble, i hear GREAT things about niner's stuff too so won't give my biased opinion.

if you get the RF go tubeless with the bonty's though, excellent tire IMO especially tubeless, (i ride at about 31-32# front and about 33-34# rear until i get acclimated)

mtbr member
    hey dgreene. i've had the good fortune to own last year's rf2 and a 2011 rf1. both are great bikes that will surprise you with their abilities. definitely great choices. that being said my sole bike now is a 2010 rip 9. i can't say that it does any one thing particularly well over another, but overall it's just the most FUN bike i've ever ridden. great handling, climbs like a beast, and hang on and giggle when you point it downhill. decked out in stan's flow wheels, ztr hubs, sram 2X10 drivetrain. you can't go wrong either way but the fun factor is what made the rip 9 a keeper for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    WOW! I'm in the exact same boat, almost. I'm 6'4" and 250 lbs and I get down to about 235 in the summer.

My LBS carries Trek and Niner. I'm coming off an '03 Specialized FS 26" Epic Comp. The shop had a rental RF1 XL that I took for two 8 mile rides. It climbs over roots and rocks much easier and it just floats on the downhill compared to my old bike.

After playing with the pro pedal, I found that I liked it off when doing technical climbs, but otherwise I turned it on because it was waaaay to soft when getting out of the saddle for some quick aggressive climbs. It felt like it was just sucking the energy out of my legs. The tech was very familiar with this and spent about 10 minutes getting the suspension set for me before I left the shop. I was quoted $3000 for the RF1 and $3800 for the RF2.

I plan to use a new i9 Enduro wheelset that I just picked up for whatever bike ends up hanging on the wall.

The LBS doesn't have a Rip9 in stock and they didn't seem to excited about it. There is a Niner demo day next month and I will be at that for sure and have a chance to compare.

Unfortunately, this LBS doesn't seem to deal at all and may every charge me over MSRP for the Rip9. I also checked out Speedgoat and may go this route. I don't mind paying a couple hundred more at the LBS, but if I can save $500 or more for the same bike, I won't be purchasing the bike at the LBS.

I will continue to follow this thread closely!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vizsladog

The single pivot trek/fisher NEEDS the pro pedal or it will bob like a pogo stick.

also the g2 forks on the trek/fishers is another deal breaker for me. It makes them steer like a truck.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I am 6'2" 275 and went with the large RIP9.
    NO regrets, just waiting for winter to end
    How did I do ?

Master of Disaster
    You're saying that Trek uses G2 geometry to make their 29er bikes handle worse than if they'd just used a standard fork offset? Seriously? You believe this?

Have you ridden a Rumblefish? I have and I didn't notice that pedal bob or truck-like steering were an issue for me.

mtbr member
    I'm 240 and ride a large 2010 Rip. 15mm front and 12 mm Maxle rear. Hopes on Flows. Flex free and a BLAST to ride. Haven't ridden a RF but I do know Niners CS is great.

mtbr member
    If the g2 fork is such a great idea then why don't other company's use the raked out fork??

Yes i've ridden a r/f and about 6-7 other g/f full squish including the superfly 100.

"I" don't care for the raked out slower steering fork.

MTB B'dos
    To the OP, best thing is to try to get a test ride on both bikes you're considering and then make the decission based on which one feels better to you. Also as said, don't discount Bontrager stuff, they make some good product, just maybe not as bling as Thomson etc in looks, but they work well.

Just a little FYI, on shocks that have Pro-Pedal....PP is never off, it is always on, the lever just increases the amount of PP being used. Bike manufacturers specify the PP tune they want their shocks to have without the lever flipped "on". Look on the side of the shock and you'll see that Niner uses (or at least tyo use before the boost valve shocks) a Medium Rebound Tune and HIGH Compression tune, hence why you don't need to flip it on a lot because it's already there. If you don't believe me then go get a pre PP shock and throw it on your bike and see how aweful it pedals. I didn't do that, didn't need to, my PP blew a seal and I couldn't believe how badly it pedalled without the PP, thought the shock had lost all the air or something, but then saw the oil and realised what had happened - changed my mind of how fantasic CVA pedals, that's for sure.

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast