mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Niner Rip9 or SB 95?

So I rode a sb 95 and loved it and had my heart set on getting one...then I came accross a good deal on a 2010 Rip 9 frame. I have never ridden a Niner bike but am aware of their status as a bike manufacturer

Cost savings buying and building the Rip 9 vs new SB 95 is huge!!

What would you do?

I currently ride an 09 575 6'4 250 lbs.....

mtbr member
    I would go with SB 95 ... Hands down ... IMO - Much better bike ... Seems like Yeti really did their homework with that bike & the switch sus ... Plus brand new ... Go SB 95 Bro ... If I didn't ride Santa Cruz bikes ... I would go with the Yeti SB 95 ... I have a TallBoy carbon ...
    2011 Santa Cruz TallBoy carbon & 2013 TallBoy LT carbon - S/C All the Time !!!

SoCal mtbr
    Where do you live in CA? I know there are a few shops with demo RIP9's avail in Socal. I would make sure to ride both before you buy. I have a RIP9 myself and love it. I demo'd one and was sold on it! I've never been on the SB95 so I can not say one was or another on that bike but I would not buy a bike just because it's NEW or because it's cheaper, I'd buy a bike because it fits me well and I was happy with the way it fits my riding style.
    Customer: How spicy is medium?
    Waitress: It's "medium"...

Carbon & Ti rule
    Yes go ride a Rip9, They are a Very good bike & can take a beating as well.

IMO the CVA suspension is second to none.

mtbr member
    I'm a big boy like you. 6'-2, 290.

I'd consider the RIP, because not only is it a fantastic bike, it has a rear 12mm maxle option that makes the rear triangle insanely stiff. It's the most solid bike I've ever ridden, and doesn't exhibit any wonky side-to-side wobble like everything else, even factoring in the bigger wheels. Very clyde-worthy.

Hell, I'm in Mountain View, so I'd be open to letting you test-ride my RIP, but it's only a L and you'd need an XL. There has to be a Niner dealer around that has an XL, but if not...ping me, maybe we can work something out.

That said, dude, do NOT cheap on the bike if you love the Yeti. Value is remembered long after cost is forgotten.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I had a RIP. Great bike, but just did not work out for me in the geometry department. I had it set at 120mm in the front. While it was great (though slightly more than needed) for most general riding, it suffered the same issues as have my hard tails when getting in terrain where a slacker HTA was warranted. A RIP with a 140mm fork will still be steeper than a SB-95 set at 120mm. So depends upon what you want to do with the bike. Then you slacken out the SB-95 further by jacking the fork up to 140mm.

Seems to me that if you want a good general bike, or it is your only bike, the RIP is a good option. You want a bike to do bigger things, the SB is your choice. It's in the geo not the 1/2" travel. This is the main general difference between the two. Both have a reasonably short rear end, are built for some tough love, and have a solid pedaling platform (CVA vs. Switch).
    Grammar and spelling errors are complementary.

Trail Junkie
    Who besides the crew @ Twenty Nine Inch can actually chime in to having a ride impression of both the Rip9 and the SB-95.

I think most are just speculating.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon
    Lynskey Pro29 SL SS
    Cervelo S2 Ultegra
    Salsa Selma
    Soul Cycle Dillinger Gen3

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Master of the obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by dubdryver View Post
    Who besides the crew @ Twenty Nine Inch can actually chime in to having a ride impression of both the Rip9 and the SB-95.

I think most are just speculating.
    This is implied when asking for people's opinion on the internet, especially about a bike that has yet to be released to the general public. If you take 10 people who have ridden both, you may get better data but it will be tempered with opinion the persons personal preference.

The beauty of something like this site, is that you can look for patterns in an ocean of information to help make a decision. Even if that decision is "Now that I have ridden the hard to find Yeti, maybe I need to ride the RIP to see how they compare". Since the post is less than a day old it may take some time with more opinions and speculating to see a pattern. Doesn't make the info useless, just limited.

Trail Ninja
    Wish I had a chance to demo a Niner *without* Mountain King tires on them. That totally ruined my impression of them, with how much those tires did not grip on SoCal soil. Broke a derailleur hangar doing a bunny hop too. I was busy clenching my ass cheeks on trails I could rip on my hardtail to really get a feel of the bike. It felt stiff and good in straight lines, but anything that required traction... I totally blame the tires. Actually, I rode a Turner Flux with MK tires on them (not a 29er, I know), and it didn't do as bad, though I did wash out once on 'em. Maybe it's just 29er MKs on SoCal loose over hardpack.

A buddy demo'd the WFO and he didn't really like it either. He said it was decent, but he stuck to his 26" bike. When he demo'd the SB95, that finally got him thinking seriously about 29ers. He said it was the best 29er he's ever rode. I think it's the best feeling 29er I've been on too. It's just the feel though... it gives confidence. It needs to have its build tweaked for my riding style if I were to buy it, but that feel it gives is exactly the feel I want in my next bike.

Bottom line: don't buy without test riding and comparing to many other bikes. You'll regret it. Test ride a Rip9. I have a feeling you'll gravitate towards the SB95, especially considering you're already familiar with Yeti. The SB95 is an amazing bike that I am almost certain will make waves once it's released, with my only doubts lying in the chance that a yet to be announced bike may steal the show or maybe the wildcard that is the Ripley, though the SB95 will surely make it hard for that bike to stand out in terms of performance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    thanks everyone

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyG 1970 View Post
    I would go with SB 95 ... Hands down ... IMO - Much better bike ... Seems like Yeti really did their homework with that bike & the switch sus ... Plus brand new ... Go SB 95 Bro ... If I didn't ride Santa Cruz bikes ... I would go with the Yeti SB 95 ... I have a TallBoy carbon ...
    JohnnyG,
    Do you have long term time on the new Yeti? *Does anyone yet? *
    All I know is at 6'5"/205lbs, the RIP9 is a really hard bike to beat in terms of lateral stiffness and capability. *It's got a proven suspension design that works really well, especially for big dudes.

And the RAW RIP9's on sale at $1500 seems like a no*brainier. **You could be riding before Christmas! *

LOVE my RIP9!

My Thoughts

Peace PF

*the bike rocks the house really hard with both a 120mm. Fork or 140mm.!
    TALAS 34 is the way to go!

EXCUSES ARE THE NAILS IN THE COFFIN OF FAILURE.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    PanFry: There are only demo bikes going around, with an anticipated release month of anywhere from March thru May. Some think it may be longer, but I am just going by the various shops I have spoken with about it, and what can be gathered on the internet via searches. I don't think anyone has any long term time on it, save for some of the testers at Yeti.

I have a question in to Yeti about the published geo changes. To find out, if indeed the first were just misprints or there was an actual change. There has been no response, which is unfortunate as it adds in a bit of uncertainty between all the test/demo bikes out there (mostly positive reviews) and what is or is not an actual change. My gut tells me that it was just incorrect initial numbers put out, but I am not willing to plunk down a deposit to get in line for a bike that could have changed. Would be nice of Yeti could put it to bed though.

mtbr member

yep

Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    yes go ride a rip9, they are a very good bike & can take a beating as well.

Imo the cva suspension is second to none.
    plus one!

EXCUSES ARE THE NAILS IN THE COFFIN OF FAILURE.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by schwing_ding View Post
    I have a question in to Yeti about the published geo changes. To find out, if indeed the first were just misprints or there was an actual change. There has been no response, which is unfortunate as it adds in a bit of uncertainty between all the test/demo bikes out there (mostly positive reviews) and what is or is not an actual change. My gut tells me that it was just incorrect initial numbers put out, but I am not willing to plunk down a deposit to get in line for a bike that could have changed. Would be nice of Yeti could put it to bed though.
    Did you ever hear anything back from Yeti on this? I think I saw in another post that the geometry numbers they released later were the correct ones from the start...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Me too

yeti575inCA,

I have been on my 575 since 05 and I love it; I thought I'd never want to replace it actually. I've ridden that thing on 3 continents on everything you can imagine - I even race it here in Korea (I am stationed here). Then I bought a Peace 9r to get me back and forth to work - fiddled with it, put Towers on the front and NOW... I prefer to ride it when I trail ride. Problem is it's heavy - but, I am sold on 29er's - no question.

Then Yeti brought out the SB-66 and rumors of the SB-95 followed. I am a die hard Yeti fan from Colorado - the idea of getting what I love from my 575 in a 29er is hard to shake.

I have heard nothing but great things about Niner; loads of people ride them, and they only make 29er's (but, they are not Yeti). Still, the greatest thing about Yeti is that no matter what Yeti you ride - it still feels like YOUR Yeti - very few companies put as much research into their bikes as Yeti does.

So... I'll be going with my heart and getting the SB-95 (I hope you do too); eventually, my first edition 575 will be a classic, so I'll keep it (it's a great extra ride anyway).

Jimmy the Hoff

Rip 9
    Mar 2007
    I have a RIP, and I love it. But if the SB-95 had been around when I bought my Niner I would have had a tough time deciding too. FYI mine shipped APO from the shop with zero problems.

mtbr member

RIP 9 all the way

I have ridden both on a demo day. The RIP 9 was a better bike. The suspension design is perfect, the frame is burly, and the geometry is spot on. I bought one and am blown away. I race it in off road triathlons, do 24 hour races, all day epics, even light Dh at the local lift serviced bike park. I put nearly 2,000 miles on my RIP so far and have done only basic maintenance such as a chain, brake pads, lubing up with rock and roll extreme....thats it. My previous full suspension bikes all had wonky rear ends due to bushing wear after 1,000 miles. The RIP won't let you down. Be sure to get the beefed up rear axle and a front through axle as well as this makes a HUGE difference.
    29ers are more fun!

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tmccrohon View Post
    I have ridden both on a demo day. The RIP 9 was a better bike. The suspension design is perfect, the frame is burly, and the geometry is spot on. I bought one and am blown away. I race it in off road triathlons, do 24 hour races, all day epics, even light Dh at the local lift serviced bike park. I put nearly 2,000 miles on my RIP so far and have done only basic maintenance such as a chain, brake pads, lubing up with rock and roll extreme....thats it. My previous full suspension bikes all had wonky rear ends due to bushing wear after 1,000 miles. The RIP won't let you down. Be sure to get the beefed up rear axle and a front through axle as well as this makes a HUGE difference.
    Did you really feel a "HUGE" difference with the rear Maxle?

I was thinking of doing the upgrade (I would need to convert my Hope Pro 2 as well as the frame)...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post
    So I rode a sb 95 and loved it and had my heart set on getting one...then I came accross a good deal on a 2010 Rip 9 frame. I have never ridden a Niner bike but am aware of their status as a bike manufacturer

Cost savings buying and building the Rip 9 vs new SB 95 is huge!!

What would you do?

I currently ride an 09 575 6'4 250 lbs.....
    Well, since you loved the Yeti, I'd say that's your answer. If money is an issue, however, then the Niner is equally a good choice... maybe better, despite the Yeti adoration advice you're getting.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyG 1970 View Post
    I would go with SB 95 ... Hands down...
    Have you ridden both bikes? Yeti isn't a "hands down" better bike than Niner and I would wager that Niner has done far, far more research than Yeti on 29ers. Niner has been a leader in the 29er world for quite some time and only does 29ers. Yeti is late to the party with just one HT and one FS offering.

Fanboi enthusiasm is great for companies, but not good for recommendations....
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I went to Thaw 2012 down in Moab put on by Poison Spider Bicycles. I rode both the RIP 9 and the SB-95.
    Some background...I am just getting into the sport and 6'2" 280 pounds. So take my opinion for what it is worth.
    I put about an hour on each bike out on the Bar M trails and if I had the money, I would throw it all at the RIP 9 hands down. I rode much better. I don't know all the jargon to relay the info to you guys about what I liked about it, other than I felt much more confident and comfortable on the Niner.
    The only downside the Niner had on the Yeti was I had 4 or 5 pedal strikes on the trails. This could have been to the fact the Niner was set up for by brother who weighs about 240. We switched out on the trails as we both wanted to ride each without waiting.
    So, Niner gets my vote given my experience and feel of the bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Niner Rip9 or SB 95?-img_0007.jpg  

Last edited by utahnoob; 03-05-2012 at 09:17 AM.

Dickhouse
    Dec 2010
    I also went to the Thaw 2012, but missed out on riding a SB95. BUT, the RIP9 was the best bike I have ever ridden. The geometry is SO dialed in, even more than my SIR9. It always felt stable while still being nimble. The suspension worked flawlessly, way better than the FSR on my Camber Pro 29. The whole package was super tight, stiff, and burly. I couldn't feel anything moving around the way I do on the Camber.

I also demoed a SB66, and did not care for it at all. I can't speak for the Switch-susp., because I couldn't get over the front wheel flopping around all over the place in tight, technical stuff. It could be that I am just not used to 26" bikes, but I did not enjoy the ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by utahnoob View Post
    I went to Thaw 2012 down in Moab put on by Poison Spider Bicycles. I rode both the RIP 9 and the SB-95.
    Some background...I am just getting into the sport and 6'2" 280 pounds. So take my opinion for what it is worth.
    Is that a size large SB-95 you rode?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tedlove View Post
    Is that a size large SB-95 you rode?
    Yes, size large in both the Yeti and the Niner. The Niner is the red bike on the ground, and my brother behind the camera.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    just saw jensons price on rip 9 frame, and that savings could buy some bike bling..lol
    decisions decisions...