• 03-03-2012
    jaydee1445
    Niner R.I.P. 9 VS Tranisitons banit two 9
    My buddy asked me to find the perfect bike for him to replace his daily 10 mile run, knock around the Florida trails, and tear up the Smoky Mountains 8-12 times a year. He is 6'1' 220 lbs militarily type of guy. We both believe in buying the best quality you can and have a $4500 budget. Settled on the 34 float 29 140 FIT RLC
    Full suspension 29er is a must as is high level kit. Being big boys we don't really buy into the weight weenie stuff too much. We want something that can take a beating.
    Looked at the usual suspects Al Tallboy, Bandit 29er, Stumpjumper FSR expert Evo, Rumblefish pro, HEi Hei to name a few.
    Pretty much settled on a R.I.P.9 and got my LBS to match the best internet deal on a built frame. The issues I see with the rip9 is dated design with overly complex rear suspension an rep for chain suck with triple crank.
    Then I was pointed to the two9 by a member in this thread
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 29erchico View Post
    Ok,

$3549 for frame & Transition's build kit. Comes with a Fox 34. Pedals not included. Dropper post optional. Check the parts on the build kit list.

The Bandit Two9 has way better geo: 68.5 HTA, 17.6" CS length for example. Makes it fun, playful, flickable and yet surprisingly stable and confidence inspiring on the downs. Rear squish is very plush with no wallow. It is very stiff & loves to stuffed/tossed hard into turns w/o any wiggle. A few riders are really praising it's composure in the air with video to prove it. I have not hit any bigger jumps yet.

Some reviewers are calling it a game changer in the 29er trail bike world. I know for sure that it is a huge leap forward in fun on the trail.

Most important is that it comes from a company that is known for getting things right. Build quality of my frame was the best I have ever seen.

Niner's QA has been spotty for a while now. The WFO9 frame I bought a few months back was built so wrong that it was dangerous. I have the serial # and my dimensional analysis numbers right in front of me on the ovalized and mis-machined head tube if Niner is daft enough to challenge me on this statement.

For the type of riding he will do R.I.P. 9 or B two 9 ?

BTW $3549 for a complete bike from LBS seems compelling.
  • 03-03-2012
    eurospek
    Can't beat the customer service from Transition.

Plus the Bandit 29er is such a great platform. I would go with that.
  • 03-03-2012
    fast540
    the bandit and kona satori were both on my short list but i ended up with the horsethief.having brief rides on the rip and wfo neither felt as solid to me btw my buddy just bought the satori the same day i bought the salsa but its not here yet for comparison.if youre not into looking at the salsa id go transition bandit
  • 03-03-2012
    evasive
    I don't think the RIP is a bad frame, and I think you can make too much of Niner's issues. They certainly seem to have earned a reputation for taking care of their customers. I'm not sure why you'd say their suspension is overly complex - frankly, it works well, and is well-regarded. (No time on a RIP, but I rode a WFO for several seasons). I certainly wouldn't say it's any more complex than any of the other mini-link designs on the market. As far as chain suck on a triple, I'd counter with 'why would you want a triple crankset on a trailbike?'

That said, I agree that given the choice between the two, I'd go with the Transition. Partly because their geometry is evolutionary, and partly because I tend to oversimplify the mountain bike world into adrenaline vs. endorphin, and in that frame of reference, I see Transition as the former and Niner as the latter.

How much that helps, I'm not sure. I'm not familiar with trails in FL, so I don't know what and how your friend will ride. You probably won't go far wrong with either, but the Bandit29 compete price seems pretty good. I've been nudging a friend of mine that way, although I think she'll probably end up on a closeout Tallboy.
  • 03-03-2012
    jaydee1445
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fast540 View Post
    the bandit and kona satori were both on my short list but i ended up with the horsethief.having brief rides on the rip and wfo neither felt as solid to me btw my buddy just bought the satori the same day i bought the salsa but its not here yet for comparison.if youre not into looking at the salsa id go transition bandit

Horsethief less $$ did you go with frame or complete?
  • 03-03-2012
    dubdryver
    Being a Florida rider (which you will make for the majority of your riding) and Smokey Mountains..a lot more climbing, but mild terrian. Weight and efficiency is more important. A good climbing platform and not a lot of heft will pay dividends with the longer rides.

I think a well built HT or short travel (100mm) 29er would be your best bet.
    Tallboy Carbon (or Aluminum)
    Rocky Element 950 29"
    BMC Speedfox 29
    Pivot 429
    Scott Spark 29

If you have access to a Rocky Mountain 950 with the adjustable travel fork to change on the fly. Otherwise the Santa Cruz, Pivot and BMC are all great options.
  • 03-03-2012
    kwolfkill
    Today I had an opportunity to ride a Bandit 29 around the block and while it's certainly not much to base an opinion on, the bike felt good. Solid platform - stable, comfy and nice, slack AM geometry. Plus it just looks right.
  • 03-03-2012
    fast540
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jaydee1445 View Post
    Horsethief less $$ did you go with frame or complete?

I went with the frame only.the stock build wasnt gonna work for me,i used shimano xt groupo some light wheels and a rockshox revalation
  • 03-05-2012
    karatemonkey
    I have the Bandit. Picked it up last week. Only a few hours on it so far and those hours have been the best all around riding experience of my mtb life. The build quality is beyond phenomenal, it's downright sexy. The bike handles like a dream and shines in every aspect of trail riding. I have had the bike on slow, steep, techy ups (awesome), fast rough downs (awesome), slow, tight, technical (awesome), 3'-5' drops, and high speed gaps (awesome). Climbing traits do benefit from propedal but with the new adaptive logic fox settings, propedal 1 gives just enough platform to pedal cleanly up hill while still responding to small bumps.

Long story short, I love this bike!

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/...ide_forweb.jpg

• 03-05-2012
    jaydee1445
    looks like if we get the frame and transition wheels from the LBS and mail order the XT kit, Float 34 1470 fit rlc, and personalized cockpit on the cheap we can have a XT build for about $300 more then the complete X7 build once I figure the small bit of sales tax saved.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider/rilla.gif
  • 03-05-2012
    swaneedawg
    The Transition Bandit 29er is one of the most "FUN MoNsTeRs" on the planet!!! I have ridden mountain bikes for over 27 years, and this bike has no flaws! That's a big statement, but the bike simply covers a LOT of territory (of most of the GOOD kinds), outclimbs anything even close in comparison, and makes you eat more bananas before you ride to cut down on the face-cramps for laughing and smiling so much on the trails!!! Way-to-go....Transition!:thumbsup:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3.../021212004.jpg