mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Niner Jet vs Airborne Hobgoblin

So
    here is the deal, I am in the market for a new bike and was pretty much sold on the Niner Jet or Niner Rip but now I have found Airborne Hobgoblin and for the price it would be very hard to beat. Any comments on this would be great...

mtbr member
    Niner rip 9.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    Wow... VERY different bikes. If you can afford the RIP, I think it's a better bike. The Airborne bikes are amazing value bikes, don't get me wrong, but the Jet or RIP will be better.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Your Best Friend
    How much post-sale support will you need? Once you buy the Airborne, beyond the warranty, you won't get much and your LBS may not be very willing to help. Just a thought?
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for the advice. Just trying to figure out the best buy. The Hobgoblin XO looks like a great buy. Not sure about the warranty or what to do once the warranty runs out.

mtbr member
    Frame has a 5 year warranty. However if you change the fork out to something other than 100MM it will void the warranty. Hope this helps. Im buying one!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The Rip is the best bike out of those three unless you plan on XC racing.

MTB B'dos
    I'm very curious, of ALL those who replied the RIP9 or JET9 are better bikes, have actually ridden a HobGoblin to make these statements of fact??? I think it's all the marketing and that NONE have in fact actually ridden a HobGoblin. For the $$, you just can't beat the Airbourne bikes, IF, you like SRAM parts. Heck, even IF you bought the XO HG and decided you didn't like it, basically you're almost getting a frame for free with the parts and it would prob end up only costing you a little more to buy another frame. Personally I'd love to give a HG a go and see how it actually pedals, how the suspension feels and how the geo handles. If you're golden with doing your own tune ups and service, then the Aribourne is a great option on the cheap, if you need support, then not so much.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    I'm very curious, of ALL those who replied the RIP9 or JET9 are better bikes, have actually ridden a HobGoblin to make these statements of fact??? I think it's all the marketing and that NONE have in fact actually ridden a HobGoblin. For the $$, you just can't beat the Airbourne bikes, IF, you like SRAM parts. Heck, even IF you bought the XO HG and decided you didn't like it, basically you're almost getting a frame for free with the parts and it would prob end up only costing you a little more to buy another frame. Personally I'd love to give a HG a go and see how it actually pedals, how the suspension feels and how the geo handles. If you're golden with doing your own tune ups and service, then the Aribourne is a great option on the cheap, if you need support, then not so much.

How many hours do you have on your Hobgoblin?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by floydlippencott View Post
    How many hours do you have on your Hobgoblin?
    Ive got about 20 on mine and it just rocks! Very impressed with it. Did 20 miles this past weekend and was just so smooth and very responsive. Climbs very well. I have the XO model and its just sick. Glad I made the choice on the HOBGOB xO! They did a great job. My bike shop has no problem working on it either they are very impressed with it and know if I upgrade anything ill do it through them. Oh and as far as warranty goes most bike companies warranties are voided any time you alter the bike from its original configuration. I know thats what Giants warranty says and there warranty is 3 years for the frame!

Root Master
    I don't know anything about Airborne other than the bike you mention is a CC bike. The RIP 9 is much different.

I will say that 7.1 lbs for a 100 mm cross country frame is on the heavy side. The RIP has much more travel and weighs less.
    Join the Tribe...

Carbon & Ti rule
    If the new Rip9 Alloy works anything like as good as the Rip9 RDO It would be a very good choice for anyone that is looking for 1 bike to nail almost all tracks.

I beleave the new Rip9 Alloy is going to pedal as good as the Rip9 RDO just not quite as stiff or light.

This would still make it a very good bike & one that isn't as limited to what it's good at as most bikes.

mtbr member
    Agreed! If longer travel bike is needed the rip would be a good choice! Coming form and enduro that was 38Lbs my bike feels super light at 27 lbs! LOL

mtbr member
    FYI. there's no such thing as "voiding a warranty". Check out the Maguson-Moss Federal Warranty Act (obviously, it only applies in the US).