mtbr member
    Jul 2011

niner jet carbon stem

Does anyone know what size the stock stem is on this bike i just rode a demo and felt the bike was great but being talll i would want a longer stem for my rdo being built anyone have ideas as to which size comes on stock i know they make a lot of different size stems on ninerbikes.com

mtbr member
    If you use the bike builder on ninerbikes.com they have a recommended stem length depending on frame size. That being said, you should just use that as a starting point. If you feel like you want to go longer, than do it.

mtbr member
    Went and took a peak. Here is what they list on the bike builder:

Small = 80mm
    Medium = 90mm
    Large/Extra Large = 100mm

Again, YMMV.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Man sweet thanks. So I am sure a 120 will open up the cockpit a little more

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Am i the onlu one that thinks thix bike is to relaxed i am 200 lbs 6.1

mtbr member
    If you think it's too relaxed you may want to try a 100mm fork. Another thing you could do to open up the cockpit is go wide with the handlebars. The niner bars are 710mm, you could try the Thomsons which are 730mm or go even wider to something like a 750mm. This will not only stretch you out a bit more, but also give you added stability and control when descending.

For comparison I'm 5' 9.5" and ride a medium Jet9 RDO with 90mmx0' stem and 730mm wide bars and am quite happy with the setup.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have the 100 fox fork the wider bars made it even more relaxed but super slow turning

mtbr member
    How wide are your bars? You may need to actually go shorter on the stem to compensate for wide bars if you feel that the steering is too sluggish. Or if you really do need the long stem for the fit than go narrower with the bars.

Also I'm sure you didn't do a full fitting for the demo bike. Your saddle height may have been low which, I know in my case, can lead to the cockpit feeling too crammed or the bike feeling too laid back.

In your case It's probably worth getting you LBS to help you with the fit. Getting it dialed in can be a challenge for some people because of arm/leg/torso proportions and even shoe size. If you're building the bike up yourself you'll need to expect to pay for the fitting. If your LBS is building it for you than they may throw in a fitting as part of the build.