Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Niner Jet 9 vs. Specialized Epic Comp 29er

After racing on a hard tail for 19 years (29er hard tail for the last 2 years), I am looking to buy a full suspension bike. I am looking at the Niner Jet 9 and the Specialized Epic Comp 29er. Niner has a pretty good deal on the complete x7 bike. The Epic is a little more expensive, but has slightly better components. Does anyone have any experience riding both? I can't afford a carbon Epic or an RDO, so I am looking at the aluminum equivalents. I will be using it for xc races, xterra events, 50 mile races, etc. Any advice appreciated.

Flaccid Member
    mtroy would probably be the best person that I know that could respond knowledgeably about both. Or check out his website 29inches.com
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Jet9.

I owned a Epic and it always felt way to uptight. Although the epic rocked on smooth singletrack and blasted uphills buutttt The Jet9 feels way better downhill and had much more confidence and stability at speed. Jet9 is still a rocket uphill and pedals better too.

mtbr member
    Both nice bikes. The Jet is a little more plush and has a little quicker handling. I'm on an Epic now and it took me a while to adjust to the longer wheelbase and slacker geo but now I love it. The Epic feels more like a race bike to me especially with the brain. I think the Epic is better at speed because of the slacker HA. They both climb well the Jet is better in tight twisty stuff.

If I had to pick one based off of my experience with both the Epic would get the nod.

Your Best Friend
    Think of it this way, the Epic Comp is not the top of the line Epic (in aluminum even). The Jet 9 is their best frame (in aluminum) and will be a great bike to hang upgrades on over time. IMO it rides much better than the Epic and will be a much better endurance bike.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I will be following this as I am XC bike shopping now also.

mtbr member
    I'm really happy with my Jet9. It steers like a hard tail (quick) and rails corners like a dirt bike (awesome). The Jet9's suspension works better if you pedal seated even with Propedal selected. I recently increased my Fox fork travel from 80mm to 100, but don't know if I like the change or not. 100mm tends to wander a little more compared to 80. My RR 2.25 doesn't seem to grip the trail as well as before b/c I feel like my weight is more rearward biased. On the other hand, I've noticed a significant improvement in shock absorption. I'm probably going to try a grippier (Nobby Nic?) tire and see how that works.

I demoed an Epic last fall and, IMO, it steers like a full suspension bike (slower) and corners like a hard tail (average). I didn't mess with the cockpit set up b/c I was more interested in riding than tinkering. Consequently I felt perched on top of the bike instead of inside the bike. However, it is a REALLY nice bike. The Brain is crazy efficient and every pedal stroke seems to translate into forward momentum. You can pedal while seated or hop out of the saddle and hammer away. I'm a fan of Specialized bikes. They do a nice job kitting bikes.

Which bike should you buy? Ask yourself which aspect of a hard tail you will miss the most.
    Steering- Jet
    Hammering- Epic
    Weight- Both are heavier. Push
    Climbing- Both climb better than a HT. Epic is a little more efficient. Jet has better traction.
    Comfort- Jet

You can't go wrong with either ride. Good luck.

mtbr member
    double post. oops

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by ppfeifer View Post
    I'm really happy with my Jet9. It steers like a hard tail (quick) and rails corners like a dirt bike (awesome). The Jet9's suspension works better if you pedal seated even with Propedal selected. I recently increased my Fox fork travel from 80mm to 100, but don't know if I like the change or not. 100mm tends to wander a little more compared to 80. My RR 2.25 doesn't seem to grip the trail as well as before b/c I feel like my weight is more rearward biased. On the other hand, I've noticed a significant improvement in shock absorption. I'm probably going to try a grippier (Nobby Nic?) tire and see how that works.
    Did you adjust your handlebar height to account for the higher front end (drop spacers or flip stem)? I did a season with my JET at 80mm, and now have two seasons at 100mm. I removed about 20mm of spacers this year to account for the suspension change and am back to "normal". Helps weight the front wheel and remove the wander.

Just thought I'd ask to see if you had tried that before switching tires.

BB

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerwah View Post
    Both nice bikes. The Jet is a little more plush and has a little quicker handling. I'm on an Epic now and it took me a while to adjust to the longer wheelbase and slacker geo but now I love it. The Epic feels more like a race bike to me especially with the brain. I think the Epic is better at speed because of the slacker HA. They both climb well the Jet is better in tight twisty stuff.

If I had to pick one based off of my experience with both the Epic would get the nod.
    Yeah...that.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    B Brown! I pm'ed you last summer about switching from 80-100. As you have already read I decided to make the switch. The bike is certainly more plush and descends better but the wandering is noticeable at slower speeds, especially on off camber turns. The stem is already flipped and there aren't any spacers to remove....oh well. Anyway, thanks for the thought. Obviously I still love the bike. I'm also considering a wider bar / shorter stem combo or simply a wider bar with more sweep. A DT Swiss RWS skewer could possibly firm things up too.

Mark 43- sorry for hijacking your thread. Have you decided which bike you want yet?

Always Learning
    The bike is certainly more plush and descends better but the wandering is noticeable at slower speeds, especially on off camber turns. The stem is already flipped and there aren't any spacers to remove....oh well. Anyway, thanks for the thought. Obviously I still love the bike. I'm also considering a wider bar / shorter stem combo or simply a wider bar with more sweep. A DT Swiss RWS skewer could possibly firm things up too.
    How wide is your current bar?

sock puppet
    I was thoroughly impressed with the new generation of Brain suspension... picked up the Epic at the end of the last season and managed to sneak in a few rides on it, some very long ones too, with quite a bit of climbing... that bike is the closest thing to a hardtail - efficiency wise, yet still full suspension comfortable...

To be fair, i haven't ridden any Niner bikes - almost got Air 9 Carbon - but when the release was pushed back another 3 months - took back my deposit and went with the Stumpjumper S-Works... Didn't regret.

My nod goes to Specialized, mostly because of Brain...

mtbr member
    I have a beautiful 2012 Epic Expert M for a good deal!! Course the more I ride it, the more I like it. I still wonder if I'd be happier with the SJ EVO 29er.
    012 Epic Expert 29
    08 Trail SX II
    011 Pinarello
    09 Langster (New York)
    A few other too

sock puppet

Dialing in the Brain properly is the key

to getting the most out of it... Just one click either way in teh back will affect riding quality substantially. It takes a bit of time to set it up properly, but once setup - the bike becomes so nicely balanced that it rides like HT when I want it to ride like an HT and it rides like FS when I want it that way.

Both bikes are very nice and at the end of the day - whichever way you go - you can't go wrong...

I demoed an Epic last fall and, IMO, it steers like a full suspension bike (slower) and corners like a hard tail (average). I didn't mess with the cockpit set up b/c I was more interested in riding than tinkering. Consequently I felt perched on top of the bike instead of inside the bike. However, it is a REALLY nice bike. The Brain is crazy efficient and every pedal stroke seems to translate into forward momentum. You can pedal while seated or hop out of the saddle and hammer away. I'm a fan of Specialized bikes. They do a nice job kitting bikes.

Which bike should you buy? Ask yourself which aspect of a hard tail you will miss the most.
    Steering- Jet
    Hammering- Epic
    Weight- Both are heavier. Push
    Climbing- Both climb better than a HT. Epic is a little more efficient. Jet has better traction.
    Comfort- Jet

You can't go wrong with either ride. Good luck.

mtbr member
    I am upgrading my GF Sugar 292 frame to a Niner Jet 9. My LBS kindly provided me with a Specialized Epic Comp as a loaner while it is being built. I took it for a ride today on the singletrack trails near my house. I was shocked at how well I was able to climb on the Epic, as compared to the Sugar. Granted the Sugar is 6 years old. I surely hope the Niner Jet performs as well! I felt like a completely different rider today. I hardly ever used the small ring up front and never used the granny gear in the back! Wow!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I rode the epic back to back with the jet and my gps. The suspension was setup really well on both. I thought the epic felt much faster on the climbs and the down hill than the jet. Then i looked at the gps data and i could not have been more wrong. feeling fast and being fast are 2 different things. I think its because the jet has a more active suspension that tracked the ground much better. it also handled switchbacks much better. I also couldnt stand the sound that the brain makes when it activates, just a slight click. needless to say, my jet and i have been happy together for over a year now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I to am in the market for a FS 29er. I have an EMD9 and like it a lot but want something a little easier on the old body,would love a Jet9 but can't afford one. I'm looking at the KHS Flagstaff or the Voodoo Canzo. I have,and don't ride,an Epic 26" and got to the point where I felt too stretched out so I am not looking at the 29er version.

Steel is Real
    Niner > Specialized for trailbike activities, Specialized > Niner for rocketship-esque xc climbing/flats
    #twerkteam #younggohards #JRA
    Fixed gears aint broke // All mountain all the time

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Ive ridden both... many friends have the Jet and I've demo'd it, and I raced on the Specialized for 2 years.

They feel very similar. Suspension goes to the Epic... it's more active over bumps and less active when climbing. Singletrack carving goes to the Niner, barely, with the specialized being just a bit less snappy. Stability goes to the Specialized... it feels longer and more stable.

The weight is about the same between the two.

mtbr member
    I would suggest you demo a 2012 Superfly 100 AL Pro ....same price range all XT components, fox shock front and rear adaptive technology similiar to the brain but not exactly....I got mine for about $3200 otd

Steering felt lighter than the Epic Comp to me anyways and much better overall component package than the Epic.. read some of the reviews on EPIC Comp 29 mixed reviews

my medium out of the box weighed 27.42lbs the Epic I rode at LBS weighed in at 27.71lbs but it had heavy pedals on it...

Seriously take a look at the Trek SF AL Pro....I will say the Brain is pretty darn awesome...it works amazingly...it really picks up any little bump... but the Trek was a better overall package and I got a great deal...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Think of it this way, the Epic Comp is not the top of the line Epic (in aluminum even). The Jet 9 is their best frame (in aluminum) and will be a great bike to hang upgrades on over time. IMO it rides much better than the Epic and will be a much better endurance bike.

This is not accurate. The only Aluminum Epic is the Comp. All other models come with the carbon frame. So, the Epic Comp Alum is the top of the line Alum (by default since it is the only Alum model).

For disclosure, I ride an Epic. It was a close race between the SC Tallboy and the Epic for me. In the end I prefered the brain over the PVV system of the SC.

The Hutch
    I was in the market last year for a FS Race 29er to replace my air9. Among the many bikes I demoed, I rode the Jet9 (rental) for a weekend in Moab. I really likes the efficient pedaling and handling on the descents. It Was a really fun bike. Then at interbike I demoed the Epic carbon 29er. The bike felt like a HT super stiff, I did feel taller, but I credited that to the large frame I was forced to demo (the Specialized tent was packed so I took what I could get). I went with the Epic comp carbon 29er. At first I had buyers remorse, but once I got the bike dialed I never looked back.
    It really just came down to what I wanted, and that was a slacker more racier HT feel bike.
    Cant go wrong with either.
    one note : I was really close to buying the Jet9 because I could pick and choose my build ..
    follow me on twitter
    @RobertEHutch

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Newbie wnats to post a Thread (2 of 5)

Hi I'm Hank and I'm trying to disperse my 5 mandatory replys

Compelling, and rich.
    Both are great bikes. I've ridden both and ended up going with the Epic to support my LBS.

The Epic will take a little while longer to get dialed in for most people though. That's just the nature of the Brain though. Most everyone has a different sweet spot.

Anyway, it's really just a matter of personal preference.

Test ride both if at all possible and come to a decision on your own.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast