mtbr member

New question here. Niner EMD 9 tech question

Anybody using a 350mm seatpost? I have a Truvativ Team post but Niner recommends a 400mm. I ordered a Large EMD and fitting with a 80mm Reba and Im 5'11". I really dont feel like buying another post if I dont have to.

29er addict
    I am running a 367mm Thomson on a medium frame and at 6' tall I still have plenty of seatpost in the frame. I think you will be fine as long as the minimum insertion line isnt showing.

mtbr member
    You should be ok. I'm the same height, Air 9 large frame and ended up cutting some off the 'post after my build. Just make sure you have plenty in the frame and the min. insertion line isn't exposed, as shdown75 suggests.

J

jrm
    mtbr member

The 410 requirement

Quote Originally Posted by mtbnachos
    Anybody using a 350mm seatpost? I have a Truvativ Team post but Niner recommends a 400mm. I ordered a Large EMD and fitting with a 80mm Reba and Im 5'11". I really dont feel like buying another post if I dont have to.
    Your going to find that the niner uses a lot of exposed seat post. For this reason you need to run a post long enough to get though the ST /TT junction.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

Fauxhemian
    I bought a 400 as recommended, and after the initial build thought it was too much post. Since then I have raised the post several times in search of proper leg extension ( there is something a little deceptive about niner's geometry) and now have a lot of post showing. It almost looks like too much, a 350 wouldn't cut it for me at 6'3" on a large frame.
    I hold an associates degree in underachievement.

mtbr member
    6'1", not sure about inseam, but probably 33-34", and a 367mm wasn't long enough. I needed about 10-15 more mm for race height (max).

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    You will probably be fine but there is only one way to find out. Just to throw some #'s out there, I'm 5'11" tall with a 34.5 inseam. I ride a large EMD. I currently have a 410 Thompson but only have about 8 3/4 inches (about 225 mm) showing (base of seat tube to seat rails). So I could easily run a 350mm post. Unless you have extremely long legs and run your seat really high I would bet you'll be fine. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the response guys, my inseam is 30 but I do have long arms so I went large. I figured an 18.5" seat tube might cut it especially if I run an 80mm fork. I guess I will find out this friday when my frame arrives. I do love my Truvativ Team post, it's just as nice as Thomson i think!

mtbr member
    I have 400mm Thompson on EMD Large, 6' and 34" inseam.

It *is* a lot of post, but it does give confidence that it is not going to fail...