mtbr member

Niner e.m.d. 9 or what else?

I have been been thinking of making my first foray into 29er bikes for a little while and I'm not sure which way to go. For the past four years I've been on an Intense 5point5 and absolutely love the bike. My initial reaction was to consider the new Intense 5.5 29er when it becomes available this spring but I've started getting cold feet on that plan of action. What if I don't like it or am at least disappointed, so I've decided to change my thinking and start out a little less ambitious.

I have an old hardtail which I had started upgrading with new 2008 Shimano LX components. I am really impressed with the functionality and quality of this group set. It's not too far behind my M960 XTR components, maybe just a bit heavier.

Anyway, I digress. I've been thinking that as I have the components, I would like to put them on a nice 29" hardtail to get my feet wet so to speak. All I would need is a frame, wheels and fork.

Because of what appears to be a good reputation built up by Niner, I've been looking at the e.m.d.9. At $499 the price seems pretty good but are there any other similar frames I should be looking at? It doesn't have to be the lightest but must be great to ride. I want a geared bike with a 100mm. suspension fork.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    I have had my EMD for a month or so now, following 7 years of Orange Sub5 riding...

Yes, its been a transition back to a hardtail, but I am loving the EMD - its is light, when up to speed just flies (smaller bumps/lumps just don't slow it down as much), off-camber or climbing out of ruts seems much better (this may be tyres more than anything) and is really (surprisingly) nippy handling...I only rode a Kona 2-9 before, and it feels much nicer than that did...

Seems like an EMD is bang on right as you say...good value.

mtbr member
    What fork are you using on your emd 9?

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Reba Race 29er - its great so far, took a couple of rides of fettling, but I think I nearly have it dialled now....but I can feel it flexes fore/aft when braking really hard...I didn't have the cash for a Manitou (would have been stiffer I think).

mtbr member
    How about the Ventana El Padrino? It's a little more $ but you can't go wrong with Ventana.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Have a look see at the Soul Cycles Dillinger as well. EBB frame, with an Easton ultralight front triangle and some nice yoke and seatstay work in back. Comes with SS dropout and a dropout with a derailleur hangar as well. Also comew with V-Brake mount you can use as well if you don't want to run discs. Nice quality to the frame and a nice price - sub EMD price-wise I believe.

www.ridesoul.com to learn more about the Dillinger.

With that in mind - the EMD is indeed a kickass aluminum 29er hardtail frame that's for sure. I know, cuz I used to own one.

Cheers,

Mark

Esse quam videri
    If you are looking for a comparable frame, you might consider the Astrix Rook. I have both a Rook and an EMD. For the money, you cant go wrong with the Rook. Both are fun bikes, the Rook offers a little more stand over height and you can run V-brakes. Frame quality is indistinguishable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I got a niner AIR 9 about 2 months ago and i love it. Its a little more than the EMD 9 but it lighter. This bike just flys, it goes over roots and up climbs with ease.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leland
    I got a niner AIR 9 about 2 months ago and i love it. Its a little more than the EMD 9 but it lighter. This bike just flies, it goes over roots and up climbs with ease.
    Your bike looks really nice. I saw the AIR 9 on the Niner website. Tell me a bit more about the scandium. I've never really paid much attention to it. I know it is a metal/element but not much more. Is the alloy basically aluminum? What are it's corrosion properties? I've only had aluminum bikes, except when I was a kid. Maybe I'll consider springing for the lighter frame.

Also I'd like to know what travel length forks are recommended for these bikes. Is a 100mm. too long?

Ronnie.

don't move for trees
    I tried about every entry level 29er I could and ended up going with the EMD frame. Several reason, obviously, niner makes a good quality solid bike, 500 bucks for the frame is a good deal, structural strength and construction are great on it. Only thing I'm not so happy about is its aluminum, would have preferred steel, but at 3.5 pounds you can't go wrong.

Heres a pic all built up, components are heavy duty, still under 24 pounds, running the fork at 100mm (not in the picture though) might do the pike spring conversion to up to to 110ish.

"Get a bicycle.You will not regret it if you live." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    Your bike looks really nice. I saw the AIR 9 on the Niner website. Tell me a bit more about the scandium. I've never really paid much attention to it. I know it is a metal/element but not much more. Is the alloy basically aluminum? What are it's corrosion properties? I've only had aluminum bikes, except when I was a kid. Maybe I'll consider springing for the lighter frame.

Also I'd like to know what travel length forks are recommended for these bikes. Is a 100mm. too long?

Ronnie.
    o

Scandium is basically aluminum, with an additive to the alloy. At least this is my understanding.
    http://www.eastonbike.com/downloadab...20Scandium.pdf

I really love the stuff, i have never ridden a good steel frame however this bike feels a lot more compliant than my old Al frame yet just as stiff. Here is another thread comparing the stuff. If I had it to do over again i would not do it any different.
    Scandium or Steel for your hardtail?

Niner says the bike is designed for an 80mm fork and i am very happy with the 80mm's that i have. However i think you would be just fine with the 100mm, there are a lot of guys out there riding a 100mm on niner's.

Lee

29ers Only.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leland
    o
    Niner says the bike is designed for an 80mm fork and i am very happy with the 80mm's that i have. However i think you would be just fine with the 100mm, there are a lot of guys out there riding a 100mm on niner's.
    Lee

We hear this a lot. Just to clear things up the data supplied on our site states that the measurements given are based on a bike fitted with an 80mm fork (as opposed to a 100mm). Our hardtails are designed to work with 80-100mm forks.

Chris
    Niner Bikes

don't move for trees
    the 100mm feels a lot nicer on the EMD, just a little more cush and puts the head tube angle back a touch which i found to be nicer
    "Get a bicycle.You will not regret it if you live." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Ide definately go with an EMD. Unfortuantely I have to replace mind. A bud of mine road mine in a 12 hr race and now he owns it. He was so pumped that I couldnt refuse selling it to him. It is a killer frame for a great price and will leave ya some coin to make a good choice on a fork. I dont think I ever ever heard anyone disliking it.
    "Be wary of the man who seldom asks questions but always has an answer!"