Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Update: Niner Carbon Air 9 RDO - Open Letter to Niner Bikes

Hey,

I purchased one of the limited edition (1st 50) Niner Air Carbon RDO / XTR hardtails last March. I'm a 175 lb xc racer from MI. Great bike however, the 1st frame cracked at 1800mi on the tt in front of the seatube. Niner was good about replacing that frame promptly. After another 2500mi, the warranty frame cracked on the top of the BB shell. My LBS has repeatedly called Niner warranty for the last 4 weeks with no response at all.

As a consumer, it looks like warranty stall tactics. I am very disappointed with the lack of response. It is bad enough that these new frames can't seem to last more than 2500mi but, to not honor the warranty in a timely manner is terrible. I've gone the 1st two races of this year without my hard earned race bike without a resolution in sight...
    Last edited by IFrider1; 06-17-2013 at 11:55 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thankas for letting us know about this. Im from MI also and have considered getting a Niner but after hearing repeated frame cracking issues on the RDOs I will not be considering one of there bikes. Good luck and I hope that Niner takes care of you. If so please let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by IFrider1 View Post
    Hey,

I purchased one of the limited edition (1st 50) Niner Air Carbon RDO / XTR hardtails last March. I'm a 175 lb xc racer from MI. Great bike however, the 1st frame cracked at 1800mi on the tt in front of the seatube. Niner was good about replacing that frame promptly. After another 2500mi, the warranty frame cracked on the top of the BB shell. My LBS has repeatedly called Niner warranty for the last 4 weeks with no response at all.

As a consumer, it looks like warranty stall tactics. I am very disappointed with the lack of response. It is bad enough that these new frames can't seem to last more than 2500mi but, to not honor the warranty in a timely manner is terrible. I've gone the 1st two races of this year without my hard earned race bike without a resolution in sight...

mtbr member
    those bikes are overpriced enough, I hope they give you some free socks with your replacement, lol. seriously, cant your LBS get someone on the phone from niner instead of leaving messages? maybe whoever is calling is leaving the message before the beep...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    When was the last time you tried contacting them? Bike companies have weird schedules. Cant remember exactly when, but i emailed them a couple weeks ago and didnt get a respond back for a while. Turns out they were closed for a week...at least thats what I was told. Overall, they have been one of the easier companies to get in contact with. And you never know, maybe the shop had something to do with it? Niner seems to be very active on this forum...hopefully one of the guys chimes in with an explanation. Id be a little worried myself if i had 2 frame warranty issues and a long response time. Good luck!

29ers Only.
    Hey,

Thank you for your support of Niner Bikes. I would recommend giving the guys a call directly, they will be able to get this sorted for you and love chatting with and helping out rideres. They can be reached at 877-646-3792.

Thanks,
    Brad

Passion. Commitment. 29ers only.

Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner Bikes View Post
    Thank you for your support of Niner Bikes. I would recommend giving the guys a call directly, they will be able to get this sorted for you and love chatting with and helping out rideres. They can be reached at 877-646-3792.

Thanks,
    Brad
    Well there you go.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    You just got served... with niceness
    2012 Ellsworth Evolution
    x9 type 2, x0 cranks,
    fox 34 talas140mm with CC angleset -1.5

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I have always had an easy time getting thru to them and have found them very helpful. Between my wife and I, we have had 4 Niners. Great bikes great customer service. Harry

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Hey! Did i not predict that or what!!! haha. Niner wont let a negative thread stay posted for too long without reaching out to the customer. If the shop wasnt giving you the answers you needed...definitely talk to Niner Direct. My local niner dealer was 30 miles from me, and they have always been able to help me without requiring dealer contact. Hopefully they get you setup with a new brand version..if you dont already have the most recent model..i hear great stories how they sometimes upgrade to the newest model. Heck, if I ever had a problem with my jet9 RDO v1.1 frame...ive heard guys getting the newer carbon linkage, thru axle rears! Glad to see they got in touch with you! Cheers!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    glad to hear niner replied to this, please keep us posted with how they take care of this for you. I will be watching this thread closely, as niner is a potential bike I would consider purchasing in the future.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner Bikes View Post

Thanks,
    Brad

Thanks for the reply. My shop called me yesterday - they talked with Niner and we are working something out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I think that its the LBS duty to handle any warranty issue, since the LBS is the customer of the brand, or Niner in this case, and the buyer is the LBS customer. I dont call Sony if my PS3 is broken, I go to the store where I bought it, the same should be applied here.

It's to bad to here stories like this where the customer is kept in the dark until he makes a thread on mtbr. How could this happen?

The lack of responses is in many times worse then having your frame broken, since you cant do anything about it. A broken frame can be replaced, or you can get a new bike but with no response you don't know what to do.

Unfortunately, the way to handle warranty issues like this is often to be on the active side and take shortcuts, write on forums, make lots of calls (mail never works..) speak out loudly in order to get something happen. I can think of this way of handling to no name chinese brands but its to often this also applies to big brands in the business.

Thanks for sharing tho and please let us know what help you get, and if any compensation is given.

mtbr member
    The customer service may be great but I would be more concerned with the failures and the hassles of returning broken frames. It's not only Niner, I've read other forums with lots of issues with carbon frames.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I have a Niner Jet 9 RDO that is a great bike. I have had no problems with it. I am still Leary of plastic bikes. Alloy seems to be the FS material and steel or titanium the best HT material.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    blank
    Last edited by IFrider1; 06-17-2013 at 02:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by barry1me View Post
    glad to hear niner replied to this, please keep us posted with how they take care of this for you. I will be watching this thread closely, as niner is a potential bike I would consider purchasing in the future.
    Will do.
    Last edited by IFrider1; 06-17-2013 at 01:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Cracked my Air9 Carbon the other day, hoping I don't run into any delays with warranty but I have been told by my LBS that Niner generally gets replacement frames to them in 1.5 weeks if the frame is in stock and is great with warranty issues.

Fingers crossed!

29ers Only.
    Our apologies that you experience has gone this way. We have does some investigating with our warranty department and it appears that our warranty team has worked with the dealer and we regret that our communication with them has not been passed on to you. If you would like specific details please contact our Rider Support and Warranty team and they can help you with any questions that remain. They can be reached at 877-646-3792 or by email: service@ninerbikes.com

Thanks,
    Brad

Hey,

Passion. Commitment. 29ers only.

Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I called Niner direct when I had a minor warranty issue. It was handled within the 5 minute phone call and shipping took less than 1 week.
    Would buy another Niner in a heartbeat.

mtbr member
    This thread helped solidify my decision to get the Jet9 RDO.
    Thanks!
    J

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Add another person to the cracked Air9 RDO frame list. The bike is about 6 months old with maybe 350 miles on it. So far I am not to pleased with their response. Warranty is being denied because the chain stay side that cracked also had some scratches on it (scratches happened over 4 months ago, crack happened a few weeks ago) so they are saying it's impact damage (it wasn't!). I've been a loyal Niner owner for years and currently have a garage full of them! (5 to be exact) I'm hoping Niner does the right thing here because I absolutely love that bike!
    Niner Fanboy DHzMTB.COM

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Smilerz View Post
    The customer service may be great but I would be more concerned with the failures and the hassles of returning broken frames. It's not only Niner, I've read other forums with lots of issues with carbon frames.
    I'm of the opinion that if you're not breaking your carbon mtb frame, you're probably not riding it hard enough. They all break. I've got a Stumpjumper carbon HT that broke recently, and its warranty replacement just came. I'm going to ride the **** out of it until it breaks, then I'll warranty it again. I love the way carbon bikes ride, I love their light weight, and I'll keep buy/replacing them until frame makers decide that they're not going to warranty them anymore.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    It sucks to break a frame but you should know that just because it failed today does not mean that it broke today. If there was an impact it could have damaged the tube and its been propagating for the last 4 months. Carbon is super strong, until you go smashing it into things...

Quote Originally Posted by TNT70 View Post
    Add another person to the cracked Air9 RDO frame list. The bike is about 6 months old with maybe 350 miles on it. So far I am not to pleased with their response. Warranty is being denied because the chain stay side that cracked also had some scratches on it (scratches happened over 4 months ago, crack happened a few weeks ago) so they are saying it's impact damage (it wasn't!). I've been a loyal Niner owner for years and currently have a garage full of them! (5 to be exact) I'm hoping Niner does the right thing here because I absolutely love that bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleForScience View Post
    Carbon is super strong, until you go smashing it into things...
    ...making it a GREAT choice for an mtb frame material.

My buddy broke his months-old carbon Niner a few weeks ago too.
    His customer service experience was less than impressive. Between that and the obvious flimsiness of the product, I personally would never consider owning one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleForScience View Post
    It sucks to break a frame but you should know that just because it failed today does not mean that it broke today. If there was an impact it could have damaged the tube and its been propagating for the last 4 months. Carbon is super strong, until you go smashing it into things...
    He indicated there were only scratches. I am the OP. The frame has durability issues - I broke two frames @ 2000 mi each. Hope they take care of you. I am done with Niner.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast