mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Niner Air 9 Ride Characteristics

Hey, anyone out there have any feedback about the newer hydroformed frames? I am interested in ride quality and characteristics, especially relative to other frame materials, if you have that as a reference. I currently ride a Team Fly Ti, which I like, but find it may be a bit more flexible than I prefer. I ride a small, fwiw.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member

Niner Air 9 Ride Characteristics

If you don't get any replies, try the Niner forum. We Niner folk tend to gush over there.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    not sure about the niners, but I have been looking at them seriously lately.

I do know about Giant's Aluxx Sl Hydro-Formed tubes. They pioneered a lot of the designs the other companies ar using. It allows for a lighter, stiffer frame without sacrificing weight.

Here is a great profile of the Hydro-formed advantage from Giant:

"FEATURES: Formed from raw materials in Giantís own forging facility, ALUXX SL proprietary alloy is 30 percent stiffer than traditional 6061 series aluminum. The increased stiffness allows engineers to use less material throughout the tubes, which results in lighter frames that never sacrifice strength or durability."

You asked a very good question. I had to do some research and learned a lot. I didn't know all the advantages until I looked into it. I also learned that "Giant pioneered and perfected the use of radically shaped tubesets with all the strength and stability of gusseted tubesóbut no added material or welds."

It makes me wonder who else uses this tecnique and if Giant makes their bikes for them. I know they make 85% of the Treks and a few other brands.

I would love to try some Niners and see how they ride. I know the Giants are stiff and light. I wish they had a Niner Demo Day around here so I could try some of their bikes. I like when Trek, Giant and Specialized did demo days. I could try a few different ones and really find the right one that fit my riding style. Test riding in a parking lot or around the block isn't the same as riding single track and really testing the bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Of course this needs to go to the Niner forum...why didn't I think of that?
    And, thanks for the info about the hydroformed frames. And, I'd have to wait until the end of next month to get to a demo in my area, so looking for information sooner.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Just took it to the Niner forum...thanks.