mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Niner 73mm shell for 2009?, cross post in Niner forum

just got the new MTB Action and thr Niner add states for 2009 that they are going to a 73mm BB shell on the frames? Is this correct or a misprint? Can anyone confirm?

MTB B'dos
    Don't see why it'd be a mis print, it's a logical move to help stiffen the BB area up and add the ability to add some tyre clearance in the rear.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I agree, but the exsisiting crop of EBB is all 68mm and I understand that it will still be quite some time until that new Niner EBB is available in the spring.

Harmonius Wrench
    2009 catalog specs list only the J.E.T. 9 as having a 68mm shell. All the EBB frames are listed at 73mm.

mtbr member
    My guess is that the new flanged insert is what's 73mm wide. The actual shell in the frame might still be the same since I thought I'd heard last year when the flanged insert was first introduced that it would be retrofittable to the old frames.

FWIW, the 2008 and beyond Fisher Rig has a 73mm insert also.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Yes it will work in the older frames. I have a friend running one here in GA. Anyway, so we are saying that the flange extends the BB to 73mm. makes sense. I don't remeber the Flange being that thick, but makes sense.

mtbr member
    It only has to be 2.5mm thick on each side to extend to 73mm from 68mm.

Team SUMMIT BICYCLES

You are correct

The new EBB fits in the exact same 68mm shell as before, but it is 2.5mm thick on each side and uses a 73mm bottom brackett. This is info straight from the Niner guys at Interbike.
    I guess it makes little difference as the external bearing cranksets are just as wide whether the shell is 68 or 73mm.
    Looks like it will work well. It totally seals the bottom brackett and saves about 15 grams over the current style.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schnapmaster
    The new EBB fits in the exact same 68mm shell as before, but it is 2.5mm thick on each side and uses a 73mm bottom brackett. This is info straight from the Niner guys at Interbike.
    I guess it makes little difference as the external bearing cranksets are just as wide whether the shell is 68 or 73mm.
    Looks like it will work well. It totally seals the bottom brackett and saves about 15 grams over the current style.
    this hurt my brain to read. How exactly will the new niner EBB fit both 68 mm and 73 mm bottom brackets?