Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Niner $4500 budget

My buddy asked me to find the perfect bike for him to replace his daily 10 mile run, knock around the Florida trails, and tear up the Smoky Mountains 8-12 times a year. He is 6'1' 220 lbs militarily type of guy. We both believe in buying the best quality you can and have a $4500 budget. Bumped upwards twice
    Full suspension 29er is a must as is XT level kit. Being big boys we don't really buy into the weight weenie stuff too much. We want something that can take a beating. We both ride KTM 950 adventures and have bent 2 front wheels before building a bulletproof set.
    Looked at the usual suspects Al Tallboy, Bandit 29er, Stumpjumper FSR expert Evo, Rumblefish pro, HEi Hei to name a few.
    Pretty much settled on a R.I.P.9 and got my LBS to match the best internet deal.
    I just wanted to get some other opinions of the specs before we pull the trigger. Going with a triple ring crank because there is a 40 mile paved bike path out his back door for the morning cardio. The FOX Talas terralogic fork seems perfect for his set it and forget it mindset and is plenty stiff enough for his use.

Product Type Description Quantity Unit Price Ext. Price
    Frame Niner R.I.P. 9 Licorice Anodized 20.00 24.50 Disc 1
    Fork Fox 32 Talas 29 FIT Terralogic Black 15mm 1 1/8-1.5 95-120mm Disc 185
    Brake Shimano XT M785 | Black | 160.00 1
    Shifter Shimano XT SL M780 i Spec | Silver / Black 1
    Cable Shimano Stainless | 1
    Housing Shimano Housing | Dark Grey 1
    Crank Shimano XT M785 | | 175.00 | 38-26 1
    BottomBracket Shimano Hollowtech II | | Silver 1
    FrontDerailleur Shimano XT M780 1
    Cassette Shimano XT CS M771 10 | Steel | 11-36 1
    RearDerailleur Shimano XT M780 | Black | L 1
    Chain Shimano XT HG94 1
    Wheelset Stans NoTUBES ZTR Flow 29er/DT 240s Disc Disc Aluminum Rim Black STD 1
    Tire WTB Nano 29" Comp | Black | Kevlar | STD | 2.10 1
    Tube Butyl Presta Mtn 1.90-2.70 | 48.00mm 1
    Pedal Crank Brothers Candy 1 | Black/Silver 1
    Stem Easton EA70 | Black | 90.00 | 6.00 1
    Handlebar Easton EC70 Riser | Carbon | | 27.00 1
    Grip Oury Soft Grip | Black 1
    Seatpost Thomson Elite | Black | 410.00 1
    Saddle WTB Pure V Race | Black 1

Sub-Total $4,499.87
    T
    Last edited by jaydee1445; 03-01-2012 at 05:02 AM.

MTB B'dos
    Pretty nice spec there, would suggest thinking using those wheel to their fullest and of go tubeless, also put a knobbier tyre upfront - Nano rolls well outback, but not a lot of grip if you're on loose stuff upfront, try an Ignitor. You may think you're going with a triple, but the spec you listed is the 38-26 double crankset and I actually don't see a need for a triple once you're using a full 9/10spd cassette that goes to 11t. FYI, to do 25mph running 38-11 (100.2 gear inches) you'd only need to be turning 84 RPMs, which if you're trying to gain fitness is nothing, 30mph is 101 RPMs.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Nice Build, I am similar weight and just got a rumblefish elite and a new wheelset upgrade. I might make some other suggestions.
    I recommend the thru axle option for both the front and rear (this is optional dropouts for the frame) as this will stiffen up everything and you are ordering wheels. For wheels I went with Stans Flow rims and Hadley hubs for a custom build, not much more than the Stans wheelset but I believe it is a better hub. I also went with the Candy 2 pedals to get bearings on both sides instead of a bushing. Also go tubeless, it is easy and worth it.
    Chet

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Very nice indeed...also good to be spending your mate's money (wisely of course).
    I am just in the process of building my Air 9 now: = 4k build

Air 9 2012 Black (M)
    32 TALAS 29 120 FIT Terralogic (95/120 Travel)
    Crank Brothers Cobalt 3 (Red) wheels
    Raching Ralph - 2.35 Front and 2.2 back
    XT 10 speed group set
    XTR 10 spd RD
    XTR Pedals
    Thomson 90mm Stem (90mm)
    Thomson Seatpost (straight)
    Fzik Gobi XM saddle
    Niner Carbon Bar

Feel free to comment or make suggestions.

Always Learning
    RIP 9 and a triple XT crankset? Be careful. Be very careful there with clearance and chainstuck issues due to chain bounce as the CVA is activated. I use a triple on my RIP with 23/30/40 rings because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydee1445 View Post
    I just wanted to get some other opinions of the specs before we pull the trigger. Going with a triple ring crank because there is a 40 mile paved bike path out his back door for the morning cardio. The FOX Talas terralogic fork seems perfect for his set it and forget it mindset and is plenty stiff enough for his use.

Product Type Description Quantity Unit Price Ext. Price
    Frame Niner R.I.P. 9 Licorice Anodized 20.00 24.50 Disc 1
    Fork Fox 32 Talas 29 FIT Terralogic Black 15mm 1 1/8-1.5 95-120mm Disc 185
    Shifter Shimano XT SL M780 i Spec | Silver / Black 1
    Cable Shimano Stainless | 1
    Housing Shimano Housing | Dark Grey 1
    Crank Shimano XT M785 | | 175.00 | 38-26 1
    BottomBracket Shimano Hollowtech II | | Silver 1
    FrontDerailleur Shimano XT M780 1
    Cassette Shimano XT CS M771 10 | Steel | 11-36 1
    RearDerailleur Shimano XT M780 | Black | L 1
    Chain Shimano XT HG94 1
    Wheelset Stans NoTUBES ZTR Flow 29er/DT 240s Disc Disc Aluminum Rim Black STD 1
    Pedal Crank Brothers Candy 1 | Black/Silver 1
    Stem Easton EA70 | Black | 90.00 | 6.00 1
    Handlebar Easton EC70 Riser | Carbon | | 27.00 1
    Grip Oury Soft Grip | Black 1
    Seatpost Thomson Elite | Black | 410.00 1
    Saddle WTB Pure V Race | Black 1

Sub-Total $4,499.87
    Dump the tubes and go tubeless if you are taking the trouble to get Flow rims.

Are you totally set on that particular fork? You could save money and dump some of the features that may not be needed with the model you have listed for your buddy. Make sure you read all the reviews of the complicated Terralogic function and how it does or doesn't couple well with the rear suspension. I think it would be great for a HT and XC racer, not so sure with a bike like the RIP and the tricky few settings that fork provides that it is ideal for a RIP. The RIP is one bike that I hardly ever lock the fork out (I do on all other bikes). So a more plain Jane fork from FOX may be a better golden ticket and save some $$.

Abby Normal
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    +1 definitely worth it to go tubeless

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    RIP 9 and a triple XT crankset? Be careful. Be very careful there with clearance and chainstuck issues due to chain bounce as the CVA is activated. I use a triple on my RIP with 23/30/40 rings because of it.

Are you totally set on that particular fork? You could save money and dump some of the features that may not be needed with the model you have listed for your buddy. Make sure you read all the reviews of the complicated Terralogic function and how it does or doesn't couple well with the rear suspension. I think it would be great for a HT and XC racer, not so sure with a bike like the RIP and the tricky few settings that fork provides that it is ideal for a RIP. The RIP is one bike that I hardly ever lock the fork out (I do on all other bikes). So a more plain Jane fork from FOX may be a better golden ticket and save some $$.
    that isn't the estimate from the LBS but one of the online retailers, will definatly go tubeless. We are still futzing with cockpit cranks ect. I have seen the warnings from Niner about crank-sets, one online company offered dual chain ring another the triple. Going to be built by the LBS and they weren't sure as to whether get complete build from niner or source the components. He said it was weird sometimes was cheaper either way.
    I originally was looking at the Float 32 FIT The Talas was about $175 more. If it was for me I'd seriously consider skipping the terralogic as i'm always playing with the the rebound and compression on the KTM but i set up his 950 and It hasn't been touched since.
    I've read the naysayers on the terralogic and full suspension but others say they like it
    Last edited by jaydee1445; 03-01-2012 at 07:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    good work OP....when I was reading your post, the RIP came to mind right a way! Always start with a great FRAME!

The terralogic is better (they say), but really any of the FOX stuff is really good!

enjoy

MTB B'dos
    I think I'd have to tend to agree with Bruce on the Terralogic also, just got my new F34 with FIT and lockout, like to have the control to choose when it's locked out and when it's not. Most of the time I've been riding with it full open and the low speed dialed 3/4 way in to stop brake dive and on anything but out of the saddle efforts it sits up nicely in the travel, but uses it's travel quite well.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Nice build !
    I would second chet3 and say for sure go with a TA, at least up front.
    If y'all are generating the force to bust front wheels, the added stiffness will be appreciated.

I would go with flat bars over risers, because with a big ol fork and wheels and a custom build you are gonna have plenty of leeway to raise the cockpit but not so much to lower it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

For a rider of 220 lbs ...

I would make the following suggestions ...

- float fork over the talas (25-30% sag + 95mm travel = basically 0 travel left)
    - hadley over dtswiss 240 (the engagement is as good and you can shift the funds over to dh racing spokes)
    - definitely go tubeless if using Stans rims (unless you ride in an area with lots of rock)

29er wheels (regardess of the rim) are going to be more flexie over their 26er cousins and with a rider 220+ its definitely will be an issue. While the Stan's Flow is a good, stiff rim you still need good, stiff spokes to back it up.

After getting tired of constantly repairing a SunRingle Pro charger wheelset, I have been using a custom built Hadley Hub + Velocity P-35 + DT Swiss Alpine spokes with good success.
    The quiver: 2010 Santa Cruz Nomad, 2011 Specialized Demo II, 2011 Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Maybe the Talas 140 FIT would be the better choice. It would fall between the 100mm fork the y used in 09 and the 120- 140 they use now. 100mm gave a headtube angle of 71.5 deg 120mm=70.5 and 140= 69.5 so I'd guess 110mm would give 71 degrees. whereas 95mm would be like 72 degrees. i know there is a calculator around somewhere but I'd bet these # are close.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    IMHO this is the ticket for the R.I.P.

34 TALAS 29 140 FIT RLC
    Specifications

Weight

15QR (includes axle)
    4.54 lb / 2.06 kg
    (1.5" taper steerer)

Weight taken at 165mm steerer length with star fangled nut and disc brake guide installed.
    Travel

4.3 inches / 110 mm
    5.5 inches / 140 mm

Steerer

1.5" taper aluminum

Riding Style

Trail, All-mountain

Adjustments

Rebound
    Low-speed compression
    Lever actuated lockout
    Lockout force adjust
    Air spring pressure
    TALAS 2 position travel adjust

Lower leg

15QR thru axle system, post style disc brake mounting

Spring Air
    Fork color Black Diamond

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I can't believe anyone needs a $4500 full suspension bike for a state that has less hills than my driveway! Rigid single speed would help get his trails on their feet.

MTB B'dos
    Who NEEDS anything, we're human beings, we WANT I sure as hell don't need my nice, new Banshee Prime with 130mm in the back and 140 upfront, but man is it fun and does it smooth out the trails and bumps nicely, if I want to feel more I have a nice HT and Rigid.

Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    I can't believe anyone needs a $4500 full suspension bike for a state that has less hills than my driveway! Rigid single speed would help get his trails on their feet.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    As others have mentioned, for his weight and size, I would definitely be rocking a Fox 34 up front. Especially since you have a nice budget. The Talas 32 will feel flexy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The roots on some of the Florida trails are horrible, full suspension is for small bumps and big drops.
    Chet

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Some people venture farther than the end of their driveway

and tear up the Smoky Mountains 8-12 times a year.
    Plenty of hills within a overnight drive we do it with the motos all the time.

Always Learning
    Rigid single speed would help get his trails on their feet.
    That's like living on Mac' and Cheese when there is so, so, so much else out there to dine on and enjoy...

rider
    Jan 2005
    Transition Bandit Two9 frame w/build kit. Get a whole lot better bike & save a pile of $$$.

Link: Transition Bikes
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erchico View Post
    Transition Bandit Two9 frame w/build kit. Get a whole lot better bike & save a pile of $$$.

Link: Transition Bikes
    Better is such a subjective word specifics please...........

$1599 for the Bandit frame $1539 for the raw RIP9.
    Last edited by jaydee1445; 03-01-2012 at 05:30 PM.

errr...
    I think he meant the complete bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    That's like living on Mac' and Cheese when there is so, so, so much else out there to dine on and enjoy...
    Of course we all need more than one bike! But it seems over kill and since this guy is a super tough army guy, then a cadillac type ride may not suit him.

rider
    Jan 2005
    Better is such a subjective word specifics please...........

$1599 for the Bandit frame $1539 for the raw RIP9.
    Ok,

$3549 for frame & Transition's build kit. Comes with a Fox 34. Pedals not included. Dropper post optional. Check the parts on the build kit list.

The Bandit Two9 has way better geo: 68.5 HTA, 17.6" CS length for example. Makes it fun, playful, flickable and yet surprisingly stable and confidence inspiring on the downs. Rear squish is very plush with no wallow. It is very stiff & loves to stuffed/tossed hard into turns w/o any wiggle. A few riders are really praising it's composure in the air with video to prove it. I have not hit any bigger jumps yet.

Some reviewers are calling it a game changer in the 29er trail bike world. I know for sure that it is a huge leap forward in fun on the trail.

Most important is that it comes from a company that is known for getting things right. Build quality of my frame was the best I have ever seen.

Niner's QA has been spotty for a while now. The WFO9 frame I bought a few months back was built so wrong that it was dangerous. I have the serial # and my dimensional analysis numbers right in front of me on the ovalized and mis-machined head tube if Niner is daft enough to challenge me on this statement.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chet3 View Post
    The roots on some of the Florida trails are horrible, full suspension is for small bumps and big drops.
    Please don't tell the rigid SS guys out west ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast