Thread: A Nimble 9 too?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

A Nimble 9 too?

I currently have a Yelli Screamy set up SS w/ a White Brothers Loop set at 100mm( going to switch to 120mm).I love riding SS and it works for the most part at the trails around me, but I often times travel with my friends to ride other places and it doesn't jive so well. So, I've been ordering parts to to run a 1x10. However, I have a nice Hope SS/P35 wheelset on the Yelli that ill need to at least replace the rear wheel on. So I figured I'll get a new wheelset and use that wheelset to build up a SS maybe even rigid. I'm thinking about that new Nimblle, but I'm not sure which to to have single rigid and which to have geared and squishy? If it was the first gen Nimble ( which I'd love to find a used frame but can't seem to) it would be an easier decision, but while I know the new nimble has sliding drops, it is heavier than the yelli and has become pretty burly. I know it's hard to answer because no ones been on the new Nimble, but which would you setup how or are they too similar of bikes and should I do something else?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

A Nimble 9 too?

Anybody? 😄

Dinner for wolves
    I have not ridden the new N9. Have you considered going the 1x6 or 1x5 route with the rear wheel you already have? I run a homemade 5 cog cluster on the rear of my FS29er using the Hope SS hub. Works very well. You can search the forums and find a lot (too much?) info on how to set your bike up in this manner. Not as convenient as having a dedicated gearie, I know. Alternatively you could get a frame with shifty bits and just swap the wheels between them (you would still need a 5 or 6 speed cassette for this).

I am probably not helping you much, am I?
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

A Nimble 9 too?

I'll take any info I did consider the 5-6 cog setup, but after a lot of research I figured a 1x10 would suit me better and I would loose having a dedicated SS which I do love. I've got the chain, rear der., shifter, cassette, and chain guide already ordered up. I'm just not sure how to run each bike or if having those two bikes a are just too similar. Though one will be geared and set at 120 while the other will be SS and I was thinking a rigid carbon fork

MTB B'dos
    If you're going to run themas you stated, I'd expect them to behave very differently, like 2 completely different bikes as the angles will be almost 2 degrees different - go for it. As to which to setup as which, I'd probably run the Nimble geared and Yelli SS.

I also was going to suggest using the Hope Pro2 SS/Trials hub and run 5,6 or 7 cogs on there to get your geared bike, don't really see the big thing with 1X setup, never had issues with 2X and with the SS hub you get a dishless and stronger wheel.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Personally, I would set up the Yelli geared and Nimble SS. Reason is simple: Nimble has proper SS tensioning device built in. Yelli was meant to be run geared, as it has vertical drops.

Now, if you want something different, and you're going to stay rigid, I would suggest a rigid-specific frame (non-suspension corrected). I've been on my Jones for a few months now and it is awesome. Especially with a Knard up front.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

A Nimble 9 too?

As far as dropouts I know the Nimble makes more sense SS, but I will say I've been running the Yelli SS since I got it last year with a Rennen tensioner that has worked flawlessly. My one thinking for staying with it SS is it'll be lighter than the Nimble.
    I love the geo of the Yelli and am hesitant to go with something that's not sus. corrected and though I really dig the look and idea of the Jones I hate EBBs. I was thinking of a Knard on the front though for extra cush.