Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Short-Change-Hero

We the people ... Next build... HammerHead Thumper

So I have been riding my On-One Inbred 29er (Purple People Eater) for 3yrs now officially and love my bike. However, as I get older and have more problems with my back I find myself wanting a more plush ride when I actually do those longer rides (last two weekends have been 15+ miles and I have ridden a total of 5 times so far this year). While not bad, and I know it will improve with my fitness level getting back up to where I was I have found that the "nicety" of having a full sus bike has trumped all. So I have been "researching" for a few months now as I have been out of the components and frames game for 2yrs.

With the recent change of jobs where I am now closer to work than ever I no longer found a need for my dedicated commuter bike (09 Kona Jake). The Jake went for sale on CL and I told myself that if it sold I would then put the money towards a new bike build. It must have been meant to be as the bike sold for full asking no more than 4 days after posting it.

After many pm's back and forth with Scott @ Switchback Bikes I could not pass up the stellar deal he had left on the Hammerhead Thumper frameset so the order was placed and the frame went out promptly. So promptly that I did not realize that Scott had send via 2-day mail and I was surprised to get it on my doorstep yesterday evening!!!

So here is the official start of my HH Thumper build. Now this will be a slower build as I am doing this while also working on my 1985 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ60 which is my fun vehicle/dirt dog hauler/mtb hauler/whatever rig and does need to be "functional". Luckily I don't believe this thing would quit on me if she wanted to and I have never found a vehicle I loved more.

ETA for the finish of the bike will be by my bday in September if at all possible.

Now on to pics.....

Untitled by renofizz, on Flickr
    See one of the things I now love about this frame/bike is that it is not a true "black" frame like advertised. It is more of a Black Cherry, which brings me to her name, Blackheart as in Joan Jett and the Blackhearts!

I didn't get to take many pics as I was rushing to get out of the house for softball but will take more pics tomorrow to get a better idea of the quality of the build. This thing is an ABSOLUTE STEAL for the price.
    Last edited by gregnash; 08-15-2014 at 02:21 PM.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

Short-Change-Hero
    Here is the planned build over the next few months. Since I live in No. NV near Lake Tahoe this will be a 2x10 setup though my riding buddy is trying to convince me that I could pull off a 1x10 setup (and no 1x11 as it is currently to rich for my blood). Again this is a budget build with hopes to keep it at or below the $2k mark with deals from ebay and what not.

Fork - Depends but will be Manitou (yes I'm a fanboy and they have earned my loyalty). Currently debating on keeping my Tower Pro 100m 9QR for the Inbred or selling it, or Manitou offers a trade-in program where I can get a new Marvel/Minute for fairly cheap.
    Wheels - Pure 29er Gold rims (still looking for confirmation on size bu believe they are 24x19x21.5 EWxIWxH) laced with BHS convertible mtb hubs, Sapim DoubleButted spokes (having my brothers buddy that is a wheel builder do them)
    Headset - debating right now, Zero Stack or something with an actual head. Was going to go with a RealWorldCycling headset but they do not offer a ZeroStack and I am a fan of enduro bearings. Preferably something that is not over $60ish.
    Crankset - Not sure but something that is either 39/26 or 38/24. See what I can find for cheap on ebay, of course will be threaded BB30 for the frame.
    Rear D - Sram X9 10spd
    Front D - Sram X7 10spd compatible
    Shifters- Sram X9 2x10spd
    Cassette - Sram 11-36, probably PG-1050 unless I can find a deal on the PG-1070
    Brakes - Debating but thinking Shimano SLX w/ IceTech or some of the new Hayes brakes. Depends on price and possible Shimano hook-up
    Seatpost - Standard for now but buddy is trying to convince me I need a dropper so looking at the KS e-Ten remote
    Handlebars - Something Gold! Looking at ODI or RaceFace bars. I currently run 690mm flats so it will be a bit of an adjustment for something wider that has rise.
    Tires - GEAX!! Again, another company that has earned my loyalty. Currently running 2.3" Gato (f) and 2.2" Sag (r) but thinking I may end up running the new GOMA front and rear in the 2.25".
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member
    Sweet! Good surprise seeing this pop up....

Yeah we did a Black Cherry Clear Coat on over the Black paint....looks awesome when the sunlight hits it right....great job capturing that in the HT pic....

Look forward to seeing it all come together

Short-Change-Hero
    Thanks guys, yeah I am excited to get it built up and riding it. The color/clear coat will definitely shine in direct sunlight which will make it a very different bike. Definitely going to be a fun build, looks like the new Manitou Minutes will only be coming in black so glad I am going to be doing color elsewhere on the bike.

Recommendations on an affordable headset? Was looking at the RWC tapered headset ($85 but worth it for the enduro bearings) and the bottom cap is not a zerostack/integrated and looks to add quite a bit of length to the headtube. Wondering if that would change the HTA much?
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member
    Sub.

Posted via mobile

mtbr member

Next build... HammerHead Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Recommendations on an affordable headset? Was looking at the RWC tapered headset ($85 but worth it for the enduro bearings) and the bottom cap is not a zerostack/integrated and looks to add quite a bit of length to the headtube. Wondering if that would change the HTA much?
    Sorry, that headset isn't compatible...need a ZS 49 upper/56 lower headset for the frame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchback Bikes View Post
    Sorry, that headset isn't compatible...need a ZS 49 upper/56 lower headset for the frame
    Thanks that was the information I was looking for!
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member
    Just read the above briefly. I really think the 100mm fork will be way too low. The frame is built around 140f/130r and I think dropping the front that much will really mess with the geo.

Posted via mobile

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah not keeping the 100mm fork for this, Scott and I talked about that and the other fear is that it wil drop the BB height which could change a lot of things. I will be going for a 120mm fork fully knowing that it will tighten the HTA a bit to approximately 72* (vs the 140mm geo of 68*).
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member
    I run mine at 130 and it's amazing. I don't see why got wouldn't be fine with a 120

Posted via mobile

SyT
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchback Bikes View Post

Could you confirm this please, the site indicates zs44 top.
    Thanks, Ty

mtbr member

Tapatalk fat fingers
    site is correct
    44/56

Short-Change-Hero
    So looks like this headset is the preferred headset then.
    Cane Creek 40 Series ZS Tapered Headset - Tapered ZS44|ZS56/40
    or this FSA headset
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member

Go with the Cane Creek 40....
    Nothing against the FSA....I just like the guys from NC

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNin9r View Post
    I run mine at 130 and it's amazing. I don't see why got wouldn't be fine with a 120

Posted via mobile
    I run mine at 130 as well and I love it!

mtbr member

Just found these leftover parts from the Bike Shop in my garage.....hhhmmm

X9 2x10 shifters
    XO 2x10 high-direct mount front der
    Avid Elixir1 brakes w/ 180mm rotors
    Wolftooth 1x 104BCD 30t chainring
    e13 High-Direct Mount front chain guide
    Oury lock-on rips
    Race Face Next Carbon riser
    Evolve 90mm stem

mtbr member
    Nice!

Posted via mobile

Short-Change-Hero
    Measured weight today of frame, shock, and maxle and came in at 7.4lbs per my scale. Pretty much spot on with what Scott @ Switchback has stated in other threads.

Finally heard from BWW about their wheels and the gold colored PURE 29 rim comes in a 20(H)x24.5(wo)x18.5(wi) totaling 550g with coating. Looks like they are pretty much the same dimensions as the ZTR ARCH EX so for what I am planning to do with the bike they should be just fine. I had been debating if I wanted to go with something wider like my old school Stans Flows but at 28 wide I almost think that is a bit wide and I only weigh 190# (when I had the Flows built I weighed in at 220).
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

Short-Change-Hero
    Got the bike out today and got a chance to really look it over. The quality on this thing is phenomenal from my viewpoint, welds are like stack of dimes and integrity seems great. The design seems very well thought out and my bolts were all tight. Looking it over there is no weird spots in the paint and clear/pc, just a great looking bike.

Some more pics, working on the logistics to start getting stuff for it but most of the bigger stuff will have to wait until after my wife's work trip to NYC in June.

HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    damn...I wish the HH closeout deal was around when I bought my Yelli frame.

mtbr member
    What camera are you using? I can't follow the links to your Flickr.

Posted via mobile

Short-Change-Hero

Using a Canon EOS-M. Yeah inadvertently had the album set to friends only.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

The Fastest of Bananas
    Copycat! Haha, kidding man.

Pictures look great! Nice choice on Manitou suspension, its very underrated.

Could you talk about the hub and rim choice? Ive never heard of either.

For headsets, personally I went with Loaded Precision. Never tried any of their product, so I figured it would be a good time to. They are pricey, but people say they are on the same level as Cane Creek 110.

EDIT: I see you did give some more info on the rims. Whats your riding style? I'm 185 geared up, and going with a beefier rim. Take drops up to 4ft HTF, and some very nasty rock gardens. I think I've narrowed down to WTB i25s or Carbon rims .

mtbr member

Great job on the pics!

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by slowride454 View Post
    damn...I wish the HH closeout deal was around when I bought my Yelli frame.
    Me too

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast