Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    The Fastest of Bananas

Re: Next build... HammerHead Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by TwoNin9r View Post
    Yeah but I cab think of potential fixes for all of the above, geometry permitting

Posted via mobile
    One answer, that's a bad one, it to lengthen the shock effectively, in order to increase the travel at the extended side, which would raise the BB and increase the head tube angle when the shock is extended. Neither of those things are productive to having a well behaved trail bike.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Yah that's not for me lol

Posted via mobile

The Fastest of Bananas
    Unless you raised the point where the shock and seat stays attach to the rocker, combined with a longer travel shock, with the same eye to eye.

So, endstate, a shorter rocker with a longer travel shock would be a solution I think.

mtbr member
    Yeah true. Man it would be nice to see it done

Posted via mobile

Short-Change-Hero
    True but the cost benefit of it is what really is the kicker.. And the main thing is that you would have to modify the geometry for the suspension to act appropriately with everything else. You could basically have it suddenly turn into a noodle for all you know.

mtbr member
    Curious to see what you think of the Revelation. Mine is OK, but I can't seem to find the sweet spot. No big hits for me, but the Rev feels a little nervous on multiple medium sized bumps at high speed - think deep brake bumps on concrete like hard pack or chunky, sharp rock gardens. If you've rode Laguna Beach, you know what I mean. Have been gradually speeding up rebound, but it gets faster than the fox shock's fastest with several clicks to spare. The dual air doesn't help my curiosity to keep playing with the + and - pressures.

Is your frame large or x-large?

mtbr member
    Mine is a solo air "xx" version so that I can't comment on but otherwise with the types of trails I ride it's usually smooth and then big his or smooth and then a roots. That said I can't get it 100% dialed in but I'm working on it.

Posted via mobile

The Fastest of Bananas

Mine is a solo air "xx" version so that I can't comment on but otherwise with the types of trails I ride it's usually smooth and then big his or smooth and then a roots. That said I can't get it 100% dialed in but I'm working on it.

Posted via mobile
    I have a dual air XX Reba, has good small compliance, but zero low speed compression, and it blows through travel so fast.

I did ride an RC3 Revalation, which was super nice.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    I have a dual air XX Reba, has good small compliance, but zero low speed compression, and it blows through travel so fast.

I did ride an RC3 Revalation, which was super nice.

Yeah the whole going through travel so fast is why I was talking about increasing travel.

Posted via mobile

The Fastest of Bananas

Yeah the whole going through travel so fast is why I was talking about increasing travel.

Posted via mobile
    Thats not going to help, the issue is a lack.of high speed and low speed compression. Makes the fork behave poorly.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    Thats not going to help, the issue is a lack.of high speed and low speed compression. Makes the fork behave poorly.

Yeah I think the next build will get a pike. My fiancé has a hardtail 27.5 giant that I built the crap out of just before I bought her the lust carbon as a wedding gift... I'm thinking of looking for a frame to throw those components on and just eventually upgrade stuff. It's got a RS 30 gold (at 220# that thing will be a wet noodle under me!) elixir 7s and full slx drivetrain w raceface NW. What do you think? I've been trying to sell it with no luck lol

*edit*

Just realized I'm totally jacking your thread, please feel free to disregard.

Short-Change-Hero
    Nah it is all good banter and I don't mind it. Remember I am an analyst so this stuff automatically goes in the vault for storage and then comparison at a later date/time.

With regards to the high/low speed compression for the Revelation, mine is an RLT Dual air and I have never ridden something like this before. While the bike is not done quite yet (thinking by end of July at latest though) it will be shortly and then I can respond.

I was watching some video by Fabien Barel yesterday on cornering techniques and what not (he actually does good videos, explains what he is doing clearly and then demonstrates with good indication of what he was talking about) and one of the things he said caught my attention. In his Enduro 101 video he is working with the rider and says that most people have their bikes setup improperly (guy was concerned about going around corners weighted properly as Fabien was teaching and then hitting a bump/root/etc and going endo). He went on to briefly explain that most people with trail bikes have their front too soft and back to hard, you want good compliance in your fork and what the rear to eat up the trail chatter. This is why you will see most enduro guys explode out of corners right into a manual. The front is set hard enough that it pops them up right away plus they shift weight front to back coming out of the corner.

@carpio77b - Unfortunately, with any fork you are going to have to do some fine tuning. From what FastBanana has said, the RS are very sensitive on the Motion Control side to oil levels. I am thinking that this is true all around and by playing with a combination of the oil levels and the air (both + and -) you will be able to find that tuned spot for what you are doing. I know that my Manitou Tower Pro needed the FIRM spring for my weight (at the time 200+ unkitted) and I had to play with the rebound and air settings for a good month before I found the sweet spot, however now I have not touched those settings (other then putting a little air after it sitting up for a year) pretty much since I got the bike built back in 2011. With that said, Manitou has worked with another member here on the forums, Trailmaker, to help build some fine tuning around the fork; you can change the shim stack to add additional valving blow off for a more progressive or linear feel, go with a heavier/lighter spring to adjust the top-mid range, or you can even add an additional 5ml of oil to the bath to top to do a more linear feel.

What I am trying to say, is that tuning is not an easy task, sometimes it takes a lot of playing and trial and error. However, you will learn more about what you have and eventually you will get it somewhere you want. You also need to remember that when a mfg is building a new fork or redesigning the internals their sample set riders are all team riders and many to not necessarily weigh more than 180lbs let alone close to 200lbs (actually most are in the 140-160lbs range). This causing a difference in feel and changes how the fork reacts as the rider weight increases.

Short-Change-Hero
    Oh and for FastBanana and TwoNin9r.... I will just leave this here
    Manitou Tower Pro 29er Tapered Suspension Fork 120mm QR15 White | eBay

mtbr member
    I actually had the suspension set up as Barel suggests. Around 15% sag in the front and 25% in the rear. Rear feels decent, but blows through the travel a bit easily, but the front felt harsh(good on small bumps) while not easily blowing through the travel and being nicely progressive. I suppose it's a balance of getting the "soft" shock absorbing quality while maintaining enough low speed comp/air pressure to staying up in the plush part of the stroke to absorb multiple hits. Since I don't do big drops, I'm okay with fast rebound so I'll give that a try before getting inside the damper. Also, maybe a case of too many bells and whistles. I internally tuned my Marz TST2 with rebound only and like it quite a bit.

Short-Change-Hero
    So from what I have been reading all over the web is that you need to take the RS guidelines sticker off the fork and throw it away. Most people feel that for a more plush ride with a linear feel you need to add about 10psi more to the NEGATIVE air than the positive air. Guys in my weight range are running anywhere from 110psi to 130psi in the negative and 90psi to 115psi in the positive chamber. So I will see what that is like when I get my bike setup and go from there....

Just recently got:
    SRAM X0 rear derailleur (long cage) type 2
    SLX Direct Mount front derailleur
    Ashima AiRotor 160mm rotors
    FSA Orbit headset
    Unbranded gold seatpost clamp

All stuff should be here by the middle of next week which really leaves me with just the chain, seatpost, saddle, wheels, and shifters. I will buy a couple things this weekend as well with the main expensive items (wheels and seatpost) to be left until another paycheck.

mtbr member
    I go about 190# riding and started running 90+ 100- to get sag to 20% and the fork felt a little sloppy. I read on the forums to ignore sag with this fork so I Then went to 120+130- and experienced the harsh feel on multi hits. Now trying 125+125-, which is close to the sticker rec.s Another thing about the Rev is that low speed comp. doesn't ramp up much in the descend setting, but ramps up really quick in the trail setting. It is stiff compared to Fox 32, especially with the 20mm axle.

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah the main consensus was that you want to be 5-10psi lower on the + side then the -, however that will go with rider feel as well.

What do you have your rebound set at? Also, have you tried playing with the fork pressures both ways (e.g. + higher then -, and then - higher than +)? May just take some more tuning... seems like most guys aren't running quite as high as you are right now, mainly keeping it around the 110 to 115 range for both + and -.

Short-Change-Hero
    So here is a dumb question..... Why are stems so damn expensive? I am just looking for a decent looking black stem, 70mm. And yet everything is pretty much $40+.

mtbr member
    Lol this industry is invigorating, and infuriating

Posted via mobile

Short-Change-Hero
    Damn that was quick... I ordered some new components on Tuesday night and everything got here today (even a piece from Taiwan?!).

Anyways, go two more things coming from BikerBob next week but here is the other stuff in the meantime...

The whole gaggle...
    Untitled by renofizz, on Flickr

160mm Ashima AiRotors.. pretty dang light

SRAM X0 Type 2 long cage rear derailleur (with some new parts that will come soon..)

FSA ZS 1.5 headset and random brand gold seatpost clamp!

SLX 2x10 Direct Mount front derailleur

Bike is getting there quickly and depending on when my hubs get here for my wheelbuilder (said they were shipping from Taiwan factory on Thursday) the bike will probably be done mid/end of July!!!

Handmade in Switzerland
    I need to change the main pivot bearings of my frame.
    Does anyone here know the dimensions of that bearings or the number of them?
    It would be nice to order the parts before to disassemble the pivot.

Thanks and regards
    Mat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by maettu View Post
    I need to change the main pivot bearings of my frame.
    Does anyone here know the dimensions of that bearings or the number of them?
    It would be nice to order the parts before to disassemble the pivot.

Thanks and regards
    Mat
    Here you go....

Next build... HammerHead Thumper-unveil9spareparts.jpg

If the image isn't coming through large enough....e-mail me and I can send you the PDF
    Last edited by Switchback Bikes; 06-22-2014 at 03:24 AM. Reason: Image may be too small

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah kinda hard to read even when it is expanded.

mtbr member

Next build... HammerHead Thumper

Gotcha....so e-mail me for the PDF it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    When someone figures out what the correct bearing sizes are could they post them up?
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    When someone figures out what the correct bearing sizes are could they post them up?

I have the correct bearing sizes and am working on an updated chart that is easier to read...will post when finalized...in the meantime you can e-mail me direct for the info if needed

Handmade in Switzerland
    Thanks for the quick post of the parts list.
    I appreciate that...

mtbr member

Heck yeah

Rocks belong
    Do y'all feel it would be neutering this frame to mount up a Fox 32 120mm fork? I've got a Fox 32 120mm CTD FIT Adj Kashima that I don't want to part with. Should put my HTA right around 70*.

What I like about this frame is: 31.6 post, BSA bottom bracket, 12x142 rear.

I don't 'need' 130 of squish in the rear (would be just fine with 4.5-5" of travel)

The closeout price keeps me coming back. I'd be doing a frame swap from a Giant AnthemX 29 (want a little more beef, but don't need an AM bike) with a lightweight XC/trail build (carbon parts wherever possible).
    '15 Ibis HD3
    '15 Surly Instigator 650b & 26+
    '13 SC Juliana 650b'd (wife's)

Rocks belong
    Whoops. Double post.
    '15 Ibis HD3

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by hokiebrett View Post
    Do y'all feel it would be neutering this frame to mount up a Fox 32 120mm fork? I've got a Fox 32 120mm CTD FIT Adj Kashima that I don't want to part with. Should put my HTA right around 70*.

What I like about this frame is: 31.6 post, BSA bottom bracket, 12x142 rear.

I don't 'need' 130 of squish in the rear (would be just fine with 4.5-5" of travel)

The closeout price keeps me coming back. I'd be doing a frame swap from a Giant AnthemX 29 (want a little more beef, but don't need an AM bike) with a lightweight XC/trail build (carbon parts wherever possible).
    I don't mean to aide in the jacking if this thread but, I will say that light weight isn't really the Forte of this frame. It's really made to be pretty beefy. I'm just under 30 lbs with carbon bars and a relatively middle weight wheel set and tires. If you took my dropper and replaced it for a carbon seatpost you'd still probably only be in the 28-29 range. I'd say realistically a "light weight" build on this bike would yield about 26 lbs.

Posted via mobile

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah but the thing is at what cost? I mean if you went with carbon everything (wheels, bars, stem, post) and light weight components everywhere else then you would not be yielding the purpose of the bike.

I fully expect my bike to be 30lbs+ and will probably build some carbon fiber wheels in a year or two to "upgrade" the feel (along with if Manitou ever makes a 34mm stanchioned trail 29er fork). So I fully expect this thing to be a lunk, but at the same time I plan to beat the crap out of it by plowing through rock gardens and what not.

If I want a lightweight race bike then I will use my hardtail and avoid large, gnarly rock gardens.

On a more recent note....
    So final things to get for the build are:
    - Dropper post (getting KS eTen from Bikerbob)
    - Chain (thinking KMC X10)
    - Pedals (probably go with M530 trail pedals again, buddy says he has spares for me)
    - Stem (WTF?! These things are damn expensive if you want something that doesn't just look like a hunk of metal)
    - Saddle (will use my spare for now and get a Charge/Fabric Spoon or Scoop in the future)
    - wheels (wheelbuilder just got the hubs and waiting on spokes but said it will take him a day max, to build them once he gets what he needs... he is a stay at home dad and does this for fun on the side)

Hoping the bike will be done by the end of July

mtbr member
    Yeah it kind of frustrates the purpose of the bike.

Posted via mobile

Rocks belong
    Appreciate the responses... Sorry to hijack, that was not my intention.
    :-/
    '15 Ibis HD3

mtbr member
    Us switchbacks and hammerheads are pretty laid back lol

Posted via mobile

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Just because something is carbon does not mean its weak.

I'd bet that Derby rims, setup tubeless, paired with RF Next SL cranks and a 1x10 setup, dropper, quality carbon bars, a lightweight shock and a Pike 29 lowered to 130 or 140 would yield a 27 or 28 pound Thumper (if not XL) and would handle anything you would throw at it.

Maybe 26lbs if you went with a carbon seatpost and XC tires.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    I think it's more of a budget factor too

Posted via mobile

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    Just because something is carbon does not mean its weak.

I'd bet that Derby rims, setup tubeless, paired with RF Next SL cranks and a 1x10 setup, dropper, quality carbon bars, a lightweight shock and a Pike 29 lowered to 130 or 140 would yield a 27 or 28 pound Thumper (if not XL) and would handle anything you would throw at it.

Maybe 26lbs if you went with a carbon seatpost and XC tires.
    also, this is effectively my build minus carbon rims so Im not sure, because I don't think carbon rims would be 3 lbs lighter than my flows on hopes with dt revolution

* Frame Size & Color: xl hammerhead thumper (aka switchback unveil 9)
    * Fork: revelation xx
    * Brakes: Shimano XT
    * Cranks: SRAM carbon
    * Front Derailleur: n/a
    * Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT
    * Pedals: VP vice
    * Stem: crank brothers iodine
    * Handlebar: crank brothers iodine 11 (carbon)
    * Seatpost: KS lev DX
    * Saddle: charge spoon
    * Bottom Bracket: gpx
    * Cassette: Shimano XT
    * Headset: cane creek
    * Grips: ergon ge1
    * Front Tire: Maxxis ardent exo 2.25
    * Front Rim: flow ex
    * Front Hub/Skewer: hope pro2 evo 15mm
    * Rear Tire: Maxxis ikon exo 2.20
    * Rear Rim: flow ex
    * Rear Hub/Skewer: hope pro2 evo 12x142
    * Spokes: DT revolution
    * Weight: 29.7 lbs

Maybe carbon rims and replacing the lev with a carbon post

Short-Change-Hero
    Build turned out real nice TwoNin9r.... I am going similar but will come in at like 31lbs if I am estimating correctly.

Frame: Thumper L (black cherry, can in at exactly 7lbs)
    Fork: RS Revelation RLT Dual Air (measured and came in at 4lbs exactly) 20mm thru-axle
    Brakes: Shimano SLX
    Crank: Shimano SLX 2x10 (38/26)
    Front D: Shimano SLX 2x10 High Mount
    Rear D: SRAM X0 Type 2 Long Cage
    Stem: haven't gotten yet
    Handlebars: Answer ProTAPER 780mm
    Seatpost: will be KS eTen
    Saddle: parts box saddle but eventually a Charge Spoon (now Fabric)
    BB: Shimano SLX
    Cassette: Shimano XT
    Headset: FSA Orbit ZS1.5E
    Grips: Ergon GA1
    Front Tire: Geax Gato 2.3"
    Front Rim: Halo 29r Rim
    Front Hub: Taiwan Hub 32H 20mm thru-axle
    Rear Tire: Geax Goma 2.25"
    Rear Rim: Halo 29r Rim
    Rear Hub: Taiwan Hub 32H 142x12 thru-axle
    Spokes: DT Comp
    Weight: TBD

mtbr member
    Thanks man. I've been intrigued by those geax tires.

Posted via mobile

Short-Change-Hero
    Which ones the Gato or the Goma? I also have the Saguaro that I run in the rear. Seriously had great luck with them in my area, no issues with snake bites or tearing the sidewalls and they have lasted up to a lot of road riding as well.

Saguaro - Definitely a hardpack or loose over hard tire. Actually it will do pretty well in most all conditions but once you start getting into wet stuff it has met its match. Plays well at all PSI ranges but with the GEAX rounded profile of their tires you are better off going with lower pressures. GREAT XC tire! I had this coupled with the Gato (f) for almost two years and the setup never let me down. This tire is definitely one that will sit there and claw up just about anything. It will spin but not a whole lot, and really that can be compensated for by adjusting your weight balance and moving forward. I never got a chance to try as a front tire but my area really needs something with decent knobs to bite in as a front.

Gato - Great loose or rocky condition tire. Now they make two different versions of the tire, a XC version and an AM/DH version I am not sure which I have but it feels pretty light. I have thrown a lot at this tire and it has not failed me the only thing I am a bit sketchy on is that there is slight void when you begin to lean the wheel over in a turn. Once you feel it you will learn where this void is in the transition between the center knobs and the outer knobs and can learn to throw the bike over to get out of it. However, when it does let loose on you, you will know it. Other than that it LOVES low pressure, tubeless I run 15-18psi in my area and never deal with a burp or anything, tubed I run 18-22psi. But seriously this thing comes alive in the lower pressure range, I did not believe it when I was reading about it and then tried it on some hero dirt and I felt like I was on Velcro going around corners.

Goma - I haven't ridden this tire all that much. It is currently setup with my Gato (f) and has been great for the few trail rides I have done. Definitely allows you to claw up a hill without any issues and I could not really get it to break loose unexpectedly. The PSI range is something I am still playing with because I have not really dialed it in but I have a feeling it is going to be like the Gato and come alive in lower pressures. This did come in at a hefty 820g when I weighed it so not the lightest tire but then again my bike is 28lbs by itself and the new bike will be 30+ so not that big of an issue for me. Results so far have been great on it though and I really do like the tread pattern.

mtbr member
    Nice review! I think once these Maxxis wear out I might try a geax tire

Posted via mobile

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah if you don't mind the weight the 2.4" version of the Goma looks like it would be a great front tire. My Gato has lasted 2yrs already and still has quite a bit of tread life on it so I have a feeling that once this one goes I may try the bigger, heavier version and see what that is like

mtbr member
    I do think I'm at my heavy limit for tires, lots of steep steep climbing

Posted via mobile

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah I don't think I have ridden a tire where I feel the difference in weight. Now rolling resistance is a different story and amazingly the Saguaro has the most out of all of them but not by much. All three tires feel like the roll faster than my 2.20 Purgatory Control.

mtbr member

Nice review! I think once these Maxxis wear out I might try a geax tire

Posted via mobile
    That's totally unacceptable to wait until a tire wears out....everyone is required to be a total #TotalTireWhore

NegRep for you

The Fastest of Bananas

Quote Originally Posted by Switchback Bikes View Post
    That's totally unacceptable to wait until a tire wears out....everyone is required to be a total #TotalTireWhore

NegRep for you

Im a #TotalTireWhore, I dont have a problem because its not a problem.

Short-Change-Hero
    LOL.... That's like that statement someone said in their thread about not needing to own more than two bikes.....
    My response.... Don't cloud the issue with facts. Need has nothing to do with it.

mtbr member

PosRep for you!

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    LOL.... That's like that statement someone said in their thread about not needing to own more than two bikes.....
    My response.... Don't cloud the issue with facts. Need has nothing to do with it.
    LOL! Exactly! A man can't oppress himself by riding tires until they wear out....I mean seriously

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast