Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Looking great!

Short-Change-Hero

Next build... HammerHead Thumper

Well other crap came up so bike didn't happen today but got my stuff from Bikerbob.

And this old man is taking priority for a bit. He is our first baby, Jackson, and will be 13 in December. Unfortunately today we found out that he has a massive bone tumor. Prognosis is not good but he is comfortable now. Fun thing is going to be telling his mom in a few hours when she gets home from work.

mtbr member

Oh man....major bummer....sorry to hear

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oh man I got sad. :-( wishing him the best.

Short-Change-Hero
    Thanks guys... one of those things you never really prepare for. I thought losing my mom suddenly last year was bad, this sucks just as much. We will keep him comfortable until he is ready to go. Thing that sucks is that it is bone cancer and other than having some arthritis elsewhere in his body he is perfectly healthy.

Short-Change-Hero
    So away from sad news and on to the bike... Wheelbuilder just messaged me and said that he finally got a hold of his spoke supplier (waiting on spokes for a few builds) and they had to order all his spokes, he said he should have them on Wednesday this week. So hoping that wheels will be done this weekend and then just waiting for the time to build the bike between weddings and such.

The eTen dropper seems real nice, a bit hefty in the hand (will get some official weights tomorrow) but solid. From what I have read everyone seems to like it for the price and really how can you go wrong for $119?!

The last piece to the puzzle will be pedals. I originally had planned on swapping my M520s that we on my Jake to my Inbred and taking the Trail M530s off the Inbred and putting them on the Thumper. But when I sold the Jake I could not get the M520s off so I just gave them to the girl (got them used off eBay for $20).

So now I have to look at some new SPD compatible pedals. Since this is a more trail bike than XC I am debating on
    - doing what I stated above and just buying some M520s to swap
    - buying new M530s to put on the Thumper; or
    - go with something different that is SPD compatible like the Xpedo Baldwin

Main difference here is that if I go with the Baldwins they will be more than twice as much as the M520/M530. The Shimanos are tried and true and can be had on the cheap no matter where but I am sort of leaning to trying something a bit different but all that I can find so far that is not exorbitantly expensive, and SPD compatible are the Xpedo Baldwins.

Short-Change-Hero
    Got a few things put together yesterday and weighed....

1.5lbs! OUCH!
    Untitled by renofizz, on Flickr

only a couple extra ounces for the remote stuff.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Droppers are heavy, but essential IMO to going fast on rough terrain.

mtbr member

Re: Next build... HammerHead Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    Droppers are heavy, but essential IMO to going fast on rough terrain.
    I'm a huge weight weenie and I'm even considering a dropper my 21lb carbon xc rig. That's how much I love the dropper.

Oh @gregnash, was it you telling me about geax tires?

mtbr member

Agreed....dropper is good weight added....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Short-Change-Hero
    Don't consider myself a weight weenie but just was stunned, I knew they weighed a lot and but guess I just wasn't prepared for that.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoNin9r View Post
    Oh @gregnash, was it you telling me about geax tires?
    No, what's up? Been loving my Gato/Goma setup. Rode it at upper/lower corral not to long ago and was a stellar setup. Finally switched tires out last night though on the Inbred in preparation of putting the Gato/Goma setup on the Thumper.

mtbr member
    Yeah we spoke briefly about it I think I'm another thread. I just bought a Goma for a build cause of your posts

Short-Change-Hero
    Ah ok... I remember talking about Geax tires in another thread but that was it. I am loving the Gato/Goma setup right now. Both tires roll real fast and have PLENTY of bite when needed. I loved my Saguaro but I think that the Goma may be my new go-to tire for my area (unless I am doing pure buff XC singletrack in which I will probably go with Sag).

Once the Gato decides to give up the ghost I may throw the 2.4" version of the Goma on the front. But I have been running the Gato for almost 3 seasons now with lots of road riding in there and it still looks practically new.

mtbr member
    I have a brand new take off reaching Ralph 2.25 for the back so the 2.25 goma is going up front.

Short-Change-Hero
    Cool you will have to let me know how it does as a front tire. Tread pattern reminds me a lot of the Maxxis Ardent or Purgatory Control.

mtbr member
    Gravity dropper classic is about 1 lb. and reliable. I kind of like the click to let you know that you are in the predefined 1" and full drop. Old school.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Cool you will have to let me know how it does as a front tire. Tread pattern reminds me a lot of the Maxxis Ardent or Purgatory Control.
    Yeah I run the ardent up front on my thumper and ardent race on my f29 but the goma tnt looked cool

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by carpio77b View Post
    Gravity dropper classic is about 1 lb. and reliable. I kind of like the click to let you know that you are in the predefined 1" and full drop. Old school.
    The GD post is the lightest and least likely to fail on the trail. If I don't have a free Reverb land in my lap I would have strongly considered a GD Turbo.

For anybody looking for an inexpensive post I have an X-Fusion HiLo for sale in the classifieds for $100 shipped. It's a 27.2 that can be shimmed to fit almost any frame.

Short-Change-Hero
    I have heard that about the GD posts. If something does happen to the eTen and I do decide to drop a decent amount on a dropper post (no pun intended) I will probably either go with a KS Lev or the GD Turbo.

The Fastest of Bananas

I have heard that about the GD posts. If something does happen to the eTen and I do decide to drop a decent amount on a dropper post (no pun intended) I will probably either go with a KS Lev or the GD Turbo.
    I cant recommend the Specialized Command Post enough. The 2014 is perfect.

Short-Change-Hero
    Kinda feel the same way about Specialized as I do about FOX, especially with all their sue happy crap going on the last couple years.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Regardless of reputation, Specialized makes good product.

mtbr member

Regardless of reputation, Specialized makes good product.
    I agree. I just don't buy their stuff on principle

The Fastest of Bananas

I agree. I just don't buy their stuff on principle
    However, they do a lot to take care of dealers and customers. Ive seen nothing but good stuff. If you dont want them to harrass you as a business, dont infringe on copyrights.

mtbr member

However, they do a lot to take care of dealers and customers. Ive seen nothing but good stuff. If you dont want them to harrass you as a business, dont infringe on copyrights.
    Hmm. Touche lol

Short-Change-Hero
    LOL....oh I can see where this is going! I do agree they do make good product but just can't bring myself to do it. Main reason for me is that the local shop are elitist douche canoes... have walked in there multiple times to go look at something specific and make eye contact with the 2+ workers that are sitting behind the desk (1 of which is actually working) and nary a peep. Walk around the store, spin some wheels, pull things off shelves, etc. and still nothing. Not until I walk out do they say "Can we help you with something?" I realize that all shops are not like that and this shop should not be representative of the Brand but seriously?

Don't know what the hell is going on but I have been having a ***** of a time with some of these final things. Serious delays and what not one of my last orders resulted in some serious frustration on my end and lack of communication on the other shops end... Now my wheelbuilder "forgets" to tell me that the spokes were backordered and when he talked to his supplier LAST WEEK that they would ship on Wednesday THIS WEEK. Send him an email today hoping that I can grab the wheels this weekend in hopes to build the bike on Monday. Oh, he just heard from his supplier that their buyer quit/was fired and so the spokes/nipples never got ordered, earliest they will have them will be end of next week at latest!

So then we start talking about getting the stuff in to get the wheels done and start talking about parts.... oh he forgot to mention he was going to use Aerolites on the wheels but ended up ordering the wrong spokes (ordered SuperComps instead) so that was part of the problem as well.

Seriously frustrated at this point wanting to break something!!! Some of the last transactions I have been through have been rott with lack of communication on the dealer end (I am too anal retentive to not constantly want to know what is going on). And now the wheelbuilder has had my hubs for 4wks, rims for going on 3wks, has been waiting on his order for spokes/nipples for 2wks and is just now asking me what I want to do?! I told him when we first started talking that I wanted simple double butted spokes, don't need anything special as I will beat the crap outta these and want something simple, not blingy or fancy. His response was "sure, I have some spokes in mind that are made specifically for disc rims.." My brother has done nothing but sung this guys praises for years now so I figured "sure what the hell."

I am all for doing business with smaller companies and especially local if you can as it can pay dividends in the end. My LBS knows me quite well, knows I research the #$%! out of everything and if I am asking for something specific from them then there is a good reason and if they make a recommendation on something they have in stock that it best live up to what I am comparing it too. They also are happy to take it back if it doesn't live up to my standards so they treat me well even though they are the furthest shop from me in town.

But when crap like this happens it makes me want to go with a bigger name shop or buy stuff online because at least I have the communications I need and get things when I am expecting. At this rate, I could have slowly ordered all my parts, even purchased a wheel truing stand and dish tool and been done with the build (even probably had my shop check it for me and fix any mistakes) before I will have them done.

Deep breaths, deeeeeppp breaths!!!

Sorry, /rant!

Short-Change-Hero
    LOL... oh and put in an order for a shimano brake bleed kit, new olives/barbs and some Trail pedals (all of $45 shipped) from Art's Cyclery early this morning. Just got the confirmation email that it is packed and will be shipped tonight with slated delivery for Tuesday next week. See unfortunately it is stuff like that, that makes me want to just use shops online so that the inner anal retentiveness can be satiated with information.

Maybe it is the analyst/project manager in me but damn...... I need beer now, thankfully I have some very LARGE bottles of Ninkasi at home!!! COME ON 5 O'CLOCK!!!

Short-Change-Hero
    Alright finally picked up the wheels from my builder yesterday. Ended up going with yellow nipples (14mm) and black DT Swiss Super Comps, and he charged me less than $300 with the cost of the hubs.. So all in all not bad, he did say that he really liked the rims and they built up super easy and were true from the get go. Said that it was one of the easiest build-ups he has had since he worked for Easton.

Front is 925g-ish (with 160mm Ashima rotor @ 85g and gorilla tape for ghetto tubeless)
    Rear is 1050g-ish (with 160mm Ashima rotor @ 85g and gorilla tape for ghetto tubeless)
    So all in all less than 2000g for the set which isn't bad, didnt expect them to be light.

mtbr member
    Niceeeeeee

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah and the rear hub sounds NICE...... Not the super loud buzz like I was expecting but a nice, loudish clicking. Engagement seems crazy quick just spinning in hand, if I am holding and move to full engagement (there is a half click) I am looking at about a 2"-3" difference in distance in rotation, which I think is maybe 6*. I remember asking him about the POE and he said he didn't know exactly how much but know it was crazy amount (my M529 Shimanos are like 36 and this seems to be quite a bit more). I will take a quick video when it is done.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Missed the early posts, what hubs and rims?
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    Looks great

Short-Change-Hero

Rims are Halo 29r rims (now being replaced with the Vapour) hubs are Taiwanese hubs that my builder sells, company is Moyon International, and basically the same as the bikehubstore hubs.

Short-Change-Hero
    Well bike got 3/4 of the way done last night. Got to my buddies house about 7:30 and left around 10:30, some beer in there, talking about cable routing, looking at his new toy (2014 Scott Genius 710 demo bike), double checking things and what not. So tonight will be swapping the brakes, finishing the shifters and finalizing tuning.

So far with everything together for the most part the bike will be just as heavy if not lighter than the Inbred. We were comparing it to my buddies 710 Genius last night (carbon with alloy wheels and RS Reverb dropper) and it was within a pound or so. Don't believe he has a scale so will have to do the bathroom scale weight once it is done. And for the wheels, even he was surprised at the engagement so looks like this week we will get a decent tuning ride in then shake-down ride will happen Tuesday next week if not sooner. Will post some pics tonight.

Oh and forgot to add... best thing about having a buddy in the business, got a free pair of Schwalbe Racing Ralphs out of it!! He was telling me that when they were done they started tearing down all the bikes prepping for Interbike and so they were pulling all the tires off because they run different stuff in Bootleg vs Deer Valley. He came home with 4 (yes 4) sets of RaRas for his bikes, 1 set of 29r RaRas and a new Magic Mary and Hans.

mtbr member

710 Genius....yum!

mtbr member
    GregNash,

Very keen to hear what you think of the BHS hubs. I'd like to build a set very similarly to yours with Sapim Race, brass nips, but with a slightly wider rim - WTB i23, KOM or maybe Blunts - heard these were soft. I was constantly truing my i19s on the Inbred, so would like a little more beef. As a matter of fact the i19s, were purchased from the now defunct Hammerhead Bikes.

Also, considering the prebuilt Canfield Wheels advertising 120 POE. Hubs may be a bit heavier than the BHS, if the numbers on the Canfield site are correct (470g rim).

Get out and Thump that thing already!

PS: If any of you Thumpin' Inbreds likes big, puffy tires that roll fast and relatively light, check out Michelin Wild Racers. 29x2.25 is like 2.4 on an i19. Tires that exceed the width spec.s? WTF?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by carpio77b View Post
    GregNash,

Very keen to hear what you think of the BHS hubs. I'd like to build a set very similarly to yours with Sapim Race, brass nips, but with a slightly wider rim - WTB i23, KOM or maybe Blunts - heard these were soft. I was constantly truing my i19s on the Inbred, so would like a little more beef. As a matter of fact the i19s, were purchased from the now defunct Hammerhead Bikes.

Also, considering the prebuilt Canfield Wheels advertising 120 POE. Hubs may be a bit heavier than the BHS, if the numbers on the Canfield site are correct (470g rim).

Get out and Thump that thing already!

PS: If any of you Thumpin' Inbreds likes big, puffy tires that roll fast and relatively light, check out Michelin Wild Racers. 29x2.25 is like 2.4 on an i19. Tires that exceed the width spec.s? WTF?
    His are not the bhs hubs, but i have a bhs rear. I will pm you details when it's laced up (blunt p35) and ridden

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah they are not exactly the BHS hubs but another Taiwanese hub like them, mine are actually MoYon International hubs. Like I said, once I get it finished up tonight I will post a pic/video of what I am talking about.

mtbr member

Yeah they are not exactly the BHS hubs but another Taiwanese hub like them, mine are actually MoYon International hubs. Like I said, once I get it finished up tonight I will post a pic/video of what I am talking about.
    Lol every time I see you posted in this thread I get excited it might be time to see a complete bike.

Short-Change-Hero
    Lol every time I see you posted in this thread I get excited it might be time to see a complete bike.
    Soon brotha, soon.....

mtbr member
    Haha patience, while a virtue, has never been one if my stronger characteristics.

Short-Change-Hero
    Everyone, welcome Blackheart (or as my buddy calls her Cherry Pie)!

Just had a quick minute to take some shots but will get better ones once I get the chance. Last thing that needs to be done is tune the front derailleur and then she will be good to go. Shake down ride should happen on local trails on Thursday and then planning a real ride early next week!!!! Just pedaling around my buddies yard I am going to love this thing.

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="400" height="225" data="https://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf" classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"><param name="flashvars" value="intl_lang=en-US&photo_secret=1a431b4e58&photo_id=14596518239&hd _default=false"></param><param name="movie" value="https://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf"></param><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="https://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="intl_lang=en-US&photo_secret=1a431b4e58&photo_id=14596518239&hd _default=false" width="400" height="225"></embed></object>

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Wink

Congrats on the build, bike looks great! Looking forward to a ride report

Short-Change-Hero
    Thanks, I am stoked to get it out and have a good ride. Going to take a shot at tuning the front derailleur tonight to see if I am any good at it (never had much luck with derailleurs). Other than that we set the cockpit up yesterday and pretty much did everything other than cut the derailleur cables and tune the front. Did my best to setup the front/rear suspension but will be something I have to play with and the Revelation, being a dual air, is a bit different than anything either of us are used to.

Weighing myself last night I am 192 without pack but kitted and so I set everything for what I thought was 20% sag. Bought one of these (Saggle | Universal MTB Suspension Sag Tool) just for ishts and giggles so should be here next week and then will take a stab at properly setting things up.

Oh and a quick and dirty bathroom scale weight (me+bike - me) brought her in at exactly 30lbs!!! Both me and my buddy were like, that can't be right it doesn't feel that heavy. Since my buddy has the room to setup an actual "shop" in his barn he is planning on buying a scale to PROPERLY weigh everything. Of course he then tells his fiancé, aren't you curious as to how much weight you save when I convert your bike to a 1x10?! Of course, both our wives look at him then me and roll their eyes.

mtbr member
    Woohoo! And you shouldn't have any trouble with the front derailleur. The rears can be tricky but fronts are relatively easy. YouTube is your friend. Now ride that beast!

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah been looking at Youtube this morning and seems pretty easy, rear is already adjusted by my buddy because, as he said, THAT he knows! My buddy was even saying that he doesn't necessarily like 29ers but would get one just for the paint job and to have something 29er to build up as the yoke and everything is super beefy. He is recommending to a riding/rep buddy that is apparently 6'4" and 260lbs as he has destroyed a couple bikes but I told him that I was pretty sure Scott didn't have any XL frames.

Really want to grab a pair of the Megatron rims and build up some carbons but wife has already told me I would be sleeping outside (dogs sleep inside so no "doghouse") if I bought anything more other than buying her a new carbon race paddleboard...LOL
    And that includes isht for the Land Cruiser as well....! Guess I will pray that the Euro Spec Altimeter/Clock setup on ebay right now doesn't get sold in the new couple months!

Short-Change-Hero
    And your on a large right? How long is your stem?

mtbr member
    I'm 6'3" and 220 and I try to spend as much time in the air as on the ground. Not a hiccup.

mtbr member
    I'm on xl with a 60mm stem and 780mm riser bars

Short-Change-Hero
    Ah ok.... well the guy wants something cheap to thrash around and with the cost of the surplus Thumpers what they are that was going to be my buddies recommendation. But I don't think Scott has anymore XLs.

Oh and the 75mm stem with 780mm bars for me seems stellar! Buddy has some 60mm and 50mm stems leftover in his parts bin so I can try that if I really want to.

Another note, the eTen dropper is stellar!!! Buddy was even impressed with it enough that he is going to buy one to put on his fiancé's Genius since it doesn't have a dropper currently. Next time I am at their place I will have to take a pic of the barn so you can see the bikes they have... they have 3 mtbs (His 710 Genius, her 710 Genius and he just came home with a demo 710 Spark), 3 roadies (1 gates drive/internal geared hub roadie, 2 fixies) and then 2 beach cruisers. Also has 3 motocross bikes (1 is his 2 are hers) and then he has his street bike. As we were talking about the Thumper last night and he was saying he wanted to buy one just to buy one, he then came to the conclusion that he has an additional for anything with 2 wheels LOL!!!

mtbr member
    Thanks, I am stoked to get it out and have a good ride. Going to take a shot at tuning the front derailleur tonight to see if I am any good at it (never had much luck with derailleurs). Other than that we set the cockpit up yesterday and pretty much did everything other than cut the derailleur cables and tune the front. Did my best to setup the front/rear suspension but will be something I have to play with and the Revelation, being a dual air, is a bit different than anything either of us are used to.

Weighing myself last night I am 192 without pack but kitted and so I set everything for what I thought was 20% sag. Bought one of these (Saggle | Universal MTB Suspension Sag Tool) just for ishts and giggles so should be here next week and then will take a stab at properly setting things up.

Oh and a quick and dirty bathroom scale weight (me+bike - me) brought her in at exactly 30lbs!!! Both me and my buddy were like, that can't be right it doesn't feel that heavy. Since my buddy has the room to setup an actual "shop" in his barn he is planning on buying a scale to PROPERLY weigh everything. Of course he then tells his fiancé, aren't you curious as to how much weight you save when I convert your bike to a 1x10?! Of course, both our wives look at him then me and roll their eyes.
    That's a cool sag tool....may have to try that myself.

I would start at 25%-30% sag in the rear....same for the front....on the Dual-Air forks, put 10 more PSI in the negative chamber....that makes it super buttery in the small/frequent hits

mtbr member
    Ah ok.... well the guy wants something cheap to thrash around and with the cost of the surplus Thumpers what they are that was going to be my buddies recommendation. But I don't think Scott has anymore XLs.
    There are XLs left in both colors Gry Ano and the delicious Black Cherry painted

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah saw the tool pop up on BikeRadar as something one of their techs was using in an article so I checked it out and for $19US with shipping I figured what the hell.

I started the fork out at 120psi all around so I will bump up the Neg chamber and see how that feels.

mtbr member
    Sounds good

Short-Change-Hero

We the people ...

Figured I would go through and put up the final spec of everything, I did buy a few extra parts and what not but without those and without shipping (wheels came in at $350) I spent just over $2k for the bike when all was said and done.

Frame - HH Thumper (L) w/ Fox Float CTD Kashima
    Fork - 2012 RockShox Revelation RLT w/20mm thru-axle (travel move to 140mm)
    Headset - FSA Orbit E1.5ZS
    Stem - Truvativ Stylo T20 75mm
    Handlebars - Answer PROTaper 780mm DH
    Grips - Ergon GA-1
    Shifters - SRAM X9 2x10 with Jagwire cables
    Brakes - Shimano SLX M665
    Rotors - Ashima AiRotors 160mm
    Crankset - Shimano SLX 2x10 (26/38) 175mm
    Front D - Shimano SLX High Direct Mount
    Rear D - SRAM X0 Type 2 Long Cage 10spd
    Cassette - Shimano XT M770 10spd
    Hubs/Wheels - Handbuilt (Shadow Factory Bikes) Halo 29r Rims (now Vapour) laced with MoYon DH hubs 142x12(r)/20mm(f) and DT Swiss SuperComp Spokes with Yellow Nipples
    Tires - Schwalbe Rocket Ron 29x2.25 (for now)
    Seatpost - KS eTen remote dropper 31.9mm

mtbr member

Awesome build & huge props for pulling it off for around $2k!

Short-Change-Hero
    Thanks Scott... final number came in at $2030 according to my tally, again that is not counting extra items and shipping, so all together probably $2200.

Short-Change-Hero
    LOL... buddy just told me that I need more GOLD on the bike after tooling around the street while we tune the bike. So happened to be over at vitalmtb.com and found this

X Fusion Shox - Revel HLR

Next build... HammerHead Thumper-revel_1.jpg

Name:  83705-I-love-gold-meme-Goldmember-rJjH.jpeg
Views: 814
Size:  65.8 KB

mtbr member

HHHHAAAHAAA!!!! Heck yeah!

mtbr member
    Lmao

The Fastest of Bananas
    That would be sweet on mine....

mtbr member

This x 100

The Fastest of Bananas
    Whats the cost and weight on that thing?

mtbr member

Oh man that would look so sick!

The Fastest of Bananas
    Hold on. Its max travel 140mm, heavier than my Fox 34, MSRP $1700.
    Not only no, but hell no. The 150mm on this bike is so sweet, and the new 36 is lighter and cheaper.

mtbr member

Hold on. Its max travel 140mm, heavier than my Fox 34, MSRP $1700.
    Not only no, but hell no. The 150mm on this bike is so sweet, and the new 36 is lighter and cheaper.

Dude....we're not suppose to be thinking rationally, just blingilly right now

Anyone know how to photoshop? HA!

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchback Bikes View Post
    Dude....we're not suppose to be thinking rationally, just blingilly right now

Anyone know how to photoshop? HA!
    This!!!

Yeah I did a little research on it last night, they are only making 200 of them and MSRP is $1770 for the fork!! According to their site the weight is 4.4lbs and max travel is 140mm like FB said. Would definitely be funny as hell and very blingy, but then I would feel like I needed a gold grill to be riding the thing.... And do they make spinners for bikes yet?! I guess if I leave the derailleur cables long enough then I could consider them curb feelers!!! LOL

Short-Change-Hero
    Shakedown ride complete!!! And all I can say is HOLY #*($@ this thing wants to RUN and run fast!!!! Bike is definitely faster than my old Inbred and me combined and I haven't really ridden in the last couple weeks aside from commuting to work. Definitely going to have to get used to the gearing ratio as it is much hard but on the flow downhill this thing just goes and goes and goes!!!

All in all this was just a bad ass ride and seriously stoked to get out and ride the bike some more!

The Fastest of Bananas
    Good to hear!

Ive always felt like mine just accelerates out of control. It even climbs quite well. I dont have any issues keeping up with guys on big name carbon enduro rigs.

Im doing Monarch Crest on mine tomorrow! But so far, it has done Snowmass, Trestle, and Pikes Peak. Not to mention all the nasty local gnar.

mtbr member

Awesome guys!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    LOL... buddy just told me that I need more GOLD on the bike after tooling around the street while we tune the bike. So happened to be over at vitalmtb.com and found this
    <iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://goo.gl/mNkDb" vspale=0></iframe>
    X Fusion Shox - Revel HLR

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	revel_1.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	912543

Name:  83705-I-love-gold-meme-Goldmember-rJjH.jpeg
Views: 814
Size:  65.8 KB
    LMAO Hell yea

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hey Scott. Have a question for you. How does Thumper frame compares to Specialized Stumpjumper 29er frame. Is there a clear advantage or disadvantage in one or the other beside the price? And do I understand correctly that I need headset with 44mm Upper 56mm Lower zero stack cups?

mtbr member
    The headset information is correct. As far as comparing to spscialized. Price is a hige advantage, plus youre not buying from specialized, which is also good. Personally the thumper feels more solid than the one stumpy I rode a while back. Maybe someone who has had experience on both can chime in

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I started another thread about this but not getting responses. I already have a 2010 stumpjumper and really want to upgrade a rear shock (fox triad). Spec uses a special mount for a rear shock and shocks are expensive. Yesterday it occurred to me, I can buy a Thumper frame with a good shock, transfer all my stuff to it and sell Stumpy frame and actually have some extra money to spend compared to buying a $500 shock for stumpy(also a its very good shock).

mtbr member
    Does frame come with the maxle?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by sikocycles View Post
    Yes (mine did)

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    So did mine

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sikocycles View Post
    Sorry for the delay in replying....I was on a mini-vaca.....yes they come w/ a Maxle, Seat Collar, and extra derailleur hanger

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Zilcho View Post
    I started another thread about this but not getting responses. I already have a 2010 stumpjumper and really want to upgrade a rear shock (fox triad). Spec uses a special mount for a rear shock and shocks are expensive. Yesterday it occurred to me, I can buy a Thumper frame with a good shock, transfer all my stuff to it and sell Stumpy frame and actually have some extra money to spend compared to buying a $500 shock for stumpy(also a its very good shock).
    Thanks for tracking down this thread and chiming in....great questions.

Headset info: Yes, that is correct
    2010 Stumpjumper FSR - the rear shock alone would be worth it. Then how the Thumper handles vs the 2010: The rear suspension (not just because of the shock) pedals noticeably better than the Stumpy (even the current one) and has gobs a plush for the nasties and downs. It is a beast when the going gets rough
    Current Stumpy - If you are looking at the 150mm travel version....I personally haven't ridden that so can't offer any real feedback. I can reach out to a couple people that have ridden the 150mm version and the Thumper and see if they could chime in
    Then the price deal is a HUGE advantage....the quality of the manufacturing is top-notch and right there w/ the Stumpy, RIP9, Tallboy and others

Here's some more info on that:
    Unveil9 Frame - Monarch RC3 Plus ? 29er | 27.5 | FSR Full-Suspension

Short-Change-Hero
    Believe me you will not be disappointed with the bike. Definitely does not pedal like a 30lb bike and handles like nothing I have ridden before. Even with me originally running a 22/33 x 11/34 (9spd) on my hardtail this thing still pedals just as efficiently and nicely at 26/38 x 11/36 (10spd). I will have to get used to a little lower gearing when I am starting off but that is part of the reason that I kept the bailout gear as I live in a very hilly area and while I now am sure I could pedal a 1x10 without much issue, I would rather keep the weight and have that last bailout when needed and work to use that small ring less.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    2010 Stumpjumper FSR - the rear shock alone would be worth it. Then how the Thumper handles vs the 2010: The rear suspension (not just because of the shock) pedals noticeably better than the Stumpy (even the current one) and has gobs a plush for the nasties and downs. It is a beast when the going gets rough
    Sound really promising Frame gonna be here Saturday

Short-Change-Hero
    Setting mine in trail mode yesterday and slowly mashing up hill I noticed some pedal bob but not an incredible amount. This is really my first FS and so it is all new to me after riding my HT for the last 3 1/2yrs. To me, this thing pedals just as efficiently as my HT, steers quicker, lays over faster and is an all around joy to ride. I have a feeling my HT will be collecting a lot of dust.

mtbr member

Sound really promising Frame gonna be here Saturday
    Whoop whoop!

Short-Change-Hero
    Oh dear god.......... and it begins! Went for a quick lunch ride with a buddy (my mtb wife, as opposed to my real wife) and pushed a bit but not incredibly hard since she hasn't been on the dirt in MONTHS. Well ended up hurting us both by pushing more than doing and easy ride and when I get back to the office, bam there is my first PR with the new bike! Literally did not feel like I was pushing the bike hard at all, still learning how she corners and what not but getting more comfortable and all I can say is DAMN THIS THING IS FAST!!!

If I had this thing 2yrs ago when I was in my peak riding form, that would have seriously been dangerous! So stoked about this bike.
    She is turned, looking at me in my office right now saying "I got more gas boss.. You know I can go faster than that!"

The Fastest of Bananas
    Cross training is super important in the mtb world. I'm beginning to learn this first hand. After a few year haitus, and starting back this year, its a lot like being a brand new rider.

I'm lifting with cycling in mind, and spending a lot of time on the bike at the gym. I'm noticing a huge difference, and am outclimbing all my buddies now. I just bought a road bike yesterday, and will but doing a lot of time on the trainer and road. I'm hoping to gain the all day endurance I am lacking. After about 6 hours, I really begin to struggle.

That said, this bike is a porker. Mine weighs in at 31 pounds, yet somehow it "feels" fast still. The extra training overcomes the extra heft, and will transform your riding. Being that this bike is untouchable downhill, its worth the weight.

mtbr member

Awesome feedback guys....
    So pumped to hear the bikes are working so great for you

Short-Change-Hero
    yeah I have started doing cross training in that I am throwing in weight (kettlebell) a couple times a week. This has shown good improvements with both riding and softball as I am focusing more on endurance style exercises vs. muscle gains. I know that I have the endurance and strength there it is just getting back after not riding much the last 1 1/2yrs.

Can't wait to have some actual time to plan a good trip to Tahoe on the Thumper, right now these are just "tune-up" rides as I get used to the bike and ensure that there are no other items that need taking care of. Hopefully looking at this coming weekend to hit something good in Tahoe.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Sorry for the delay in replying....I was on a mini-vaca.....yes they come w/ a Maxle, Seat Collar, and extra derailleur hanger
    Hmm... Mine did not have seat collar.

mtbr member

Hmm... Mine did not have seat collar.
    Mine either. Had one laying around though :-)

Short-Change-Hero
    Nor mine, no bigs though, went for some bling!

mtbr member

Man that's a buzzkill...frames are supposed to come with seat collars....every box I've opened had them installed.

I know some people didn't see the extra derailleur hangers taped to the rear triangle when unpacking the frame and accidentally tossed them with the packaging....wonder if the collars came off with the packaging on accident

I have some extras here if y'all want one for a back up....sounds like you bought replacements but like to get square as they are supposed to come with the frames

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Nor mine, no bigs though, went for some bling!
    Mine didn't either, I went for some bling too.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Mine didnt have it. However mine has cable routing built into it so.I needed my own.

Extra hanger was in the Fox bag

mtbr member
    Lol I didn't get a fox bag either? Did it have a shock pump?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Mine didnt have it. However mine has cable routing built into it so.I needed my own.

Extra hanger was in the Fox bag
    My extra hanger was in the bag with fox and maxle instructions, I checked for collar several times and it was not there. Not a big deal, turns out I needed adaptors for my dropper post and my rear caliper, so waiting for them anyway.

What actually would be useful to have is info on bearings used in the frame. They will need replacement at some point.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Lol I didn't get a fox bag either? Did it have a shock pump?
    no shock pump, i dont think that was included. i did get one with my Pike tho! fox/maxle instructions and extra hanger in fox bag.

mtbr member
    My extra hanger was in the bag with fox and maxle instructions, I checked for collar several times and it was not there. Not a big deal, turns out I needed adaptors for my dropper post and my rear caliper, so waiting for them anyway.
    Now you guys have me wondering if I got a seat post collar or an extra hanger with the frame...and if I did get them, what the heck did I do with them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2 View Post
    ...and if I did get them, what the heck did I do with them.
    Really don't care about the collar but having an extra hanger makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside also I never needed one before.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    im definitely gonna go take another look thru the box and packaging just to be sure it didnt come off in the box (collar).

Short-Change-Hero
    LOL... yeah my extra hanger was taped to the fox/maxle instructions inside the box. I thought there wasn't one and was going to order a couple from Scott just in case. Will still end up putting in an order for a few but for now I have one in my bag.

When I bought my Inbred it didn't come with a collar so I did not expect one. No bigs to me.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast