Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Short-Change-Hero
    And its here!!! Weighs in at exactly 4lbs according to my scale.
    Untitled by renofizz, on Flickr

Short-Change-Hero
    Here is the Geax Goma 2.25"... gonna try it on the Inbred first to see how she does. If I end up liking it I might get the 2.4" version for the front.

Geax GOMA, new enduro tire. by renofizz, on Flickr

mtbr member
    i'm jealous... your thread is longer than mine ^_^ haha build the damned thing! i wanna see it doneeeeee

mtbr member

Next build... HammerHead Thumper

LOL!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short-Change-Hero
    LOL..... i know i know... I am still working on stuff and looks like I am going to have more time to ride in a couple weeks as my portion of our trip to NYC has been cancelled due to project changes at work.

Oh well that just means that I will have more money to spend on the bike!

Short-Change-Hero
    So Friday went to put the new Goma on in anticipation of a ride this weekend, well as I got the tire off the rim I noticed that I had a spoke completely crapped out from this weeks ride where I caught my heel in the wheel after I popped over a rock in a rocky downhill. Spoke had to be replaced but good thing was that the wheel was barely out of true, lends to the builds that OrionsCycles used to do.

Finally got the Goma on late last night and measured it at 55mm at the case and 56.75mm at the widest knobs. Looks comparable in size to my 2.3" Gato on the front and looks to be a killer combo for around here. Once the Thumper is built this will be going on there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Next build... HammerHead Thumper-image.jpg  

Short-Change-Hero

Short-Change-Hero

Debate still rages on......

So after the recent rides I have done I am starting to change sides again on the whole 1x vs. 2x scenario. Last major trail I rode with my brother has a decent amount of climbing and I found myself in my bailout gear a lot (much has to do with riding fitness I know) but I am starting to think twice about the whole 1x scenario.

With that said, this frame takes a HIGH DIRECT MOUNT front-derailleur. I will not be running anything larger than a 2.25" in the rear so scraping/interference should not be an issue but wondering what a good FD is for cheap. Been looking at the SHIMANO SLX/XT on ebay however is a Top pull Direct Mount the same as a High Direct mount? Sram actually states as a High or Low direct mount but not sure on Shimano stuff and have always heard they are better as an FD.

Oh and think I found a decent deal on a Taiwan dropper post, what size collar do I need? Does 34.9 sound right?

The Fastest of Bananas

Re: Next build... HammerHead Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post

So after the recent rides I have done I am starting to change sides again on the whole 1x vs. 2x scenario. Last major trail I rode with my brother has a decent amount of climbing and I found myself in my bailout gear a lot (much has to do with riding fitness I know) but I am starting to think twice about the whole 1x scenario.

With that said, this frame takes a HIGH DIRECT MOUNT front-derailleur. I will not be running anything larger than a 2.25" in the rear so scraping/interference should not be an issue but wondering what a good FD is for cheap. Been looking at the SHIMANO SLX/XT on ebay however is a Top pull Direct Mount the same as a High Direct mount? Sram actually states as a High or Low direct mount but not sure on Shimano stuff and have always heard they are better as an FD.

Oh and think I found a decent deal on a Taiwan dropper post, what size collar do I need? Does 34.9 sound right?
    31.6mm on the post, 34.9 collar.

Direct mount is direct mount, unless it says low. And top vs bottom pull is an option, you need top or dual. If you get a dual, cut off the extra piece. JensonUSA has SLX derailluers OE for $10.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Short-Change-Hero
    Sweet! Thanks for the heads up FB... was looking at the SLX on ebay for $30ish and there are a few XTs for $40ish.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I used a M771 Shimano XT on my Yelli. I am running 3 x 9 and it works great. I did have to cut the bottom pull arm off to clear 2.4 tires.

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah payday is Friday so I will pick up a few small things; FD, Shift cables, headset, stem. Bike is actually starting to look like a bike and my wheelbuilder emailed me and said that the hubs will be shipping from the mfg on Thursday so thinking sometime in the next couple weeks I will have wheels done too.

mtbr member
    I used an XO high mount top pull I had in parts box with a 2.2 ikon and it seemed like there was a lot of room. I will thumb through my phone and see if I have pictures.

Posted via mobile

Short-Change-Hero
    Well bike might get done quicker than expected, got to love it when you get your vacation cancelled on your due to project movement but get OT to boot. God there are days that I wish I was a ditch digger or a mail sorter. This is one of those days.......

Short-Change-Hero
    Massive overtime coming in coming weeks so bike should be done lots sooner than expected.

Won a X0 long cage type 2 derailleur last night off ebay for $90 in good condition so that will be here next week. Then started talking to BikerBob (bob@bikerbob.com) and man does he have great prices... Looks like most of the rest of the stuff I will be grabbing from him (quoted me $119 for KS e-Ten remote dropper). I am sure there are some better deals out there but not by much. So I will support the little guy. Definitely email him if you are looking for something specific as his site really doesn't have all that much.

Also talked to my wheel build and the hubs were delayed because of the last minute purchase of the 20mm Maxle, the original hub was a max of 15mm (my fault as I had planned to go with a Manitou fork) so looks like it will be at least another week before they ship. Not that big a deal as the fault lies solely on me.

Short-Change-Hero
    Think I have the first local ride for the Thumper determined. Got a new SLX (take off) front derailleur off ebay for $20 shipped, will be here Monday. Paycheck next week will have half of my OT on it so will be contacting BikerBob for some parts.

This was the first race of the California Enduro Series: BattleBorn Enduro in Reno, NV on Peavine Mountain. Stopped by real quick at the end of the day and there was still some festivities going on and the last few riders coming in. Looks like it was a lot of fun and had good feedback from everyone. Local biking group, Poedunks, were mainly responsible for construction of the course and did a great job. Have not ridden it yet but definitely will be in the future and think it will be a good shakedown ride for the Thumper. Really from my doorstep to the Trailhead parking lot is about a 40 minute drive so cant complain (that and I play softball there every Wednesday so I am there anyways once a week).

Video: California Enduro Series Round 1 - Pinkbike

mtbr member

Next build... HammerHead Thumper

Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Gregnash, this should be a really fun and capable bike. Love the close up shot of the color. Very nice. Only thing I don't dig on this rig is the BIG THUMPER decal, and it looks like they're working on that, so thumps up. Enjoy !!!

Short-Change-Hero

GEAX Goma review....

Review of the Goma that will be going on the Thumper along with the Gato. Seriously uber trail/enduro setup I think, a bit heavy for XC racing but around here you need something that will grab rocks, sticks, punch through loose sand and what not. This setup was seamless and literally could not get it to break loose unless I threw it hard or really changed my weight balance.

Geax goma

Of course the 24 miles of trail I rode yesterday was awesome with this setup and threw everything I could except wet at it. Problem was that I got to the TH only to find that my phone had 8% battery left and that would not last the 2.5hrs of riding. Looks like I need to invest in a pure GPS for riding instead of using my phone all the time. That or invest in one of those Mophie Juicepaks that is a batterypack and case in one for my iphone.

mtbr member
    Great review....need to try those out myself

Short-Change-Hero
    Well ****.... went and got fork oil and grease today so I could change the travel. Fairly easy to do, a bit messy but nothing I haven't dealt with before (try rebuilding the knuckles on a Land Cruiser, THEN we will talk about messy). Well, first go round everything seemingly goes back together without issue, only then do I realize I forgot the wave washer. No bigs, get her back apart, put everything together in order, but cant seem to get the negative air shaft to thread. Pull it apart and realized I push the shaft to far in (that's what she said!!) so I couldn't get it to engage.
    Back apart she comes, pull the air shaft all the way out and put her back together but now the rebound side doesn't want to go through the lower leg hole. Find out that the bumper at the bottom of the leg/stanchion is cockeyed.
    Back apart, get that lined up get everything back together, all shafts thread great... SWEET!!!
    Now I start putting air in the positive side, get her up to 120psi and start on the negative. Get her to about 50psi and the dust wiper and seal pop out with a hiss. #$)*@! ok well maybe I did it wrong, maybe you are supposed to do some in the positive, then negative and then pop everything off.. take a look at the manual and nothing mentioned.
    Ok so luckily I have a seal installer that I use for my LC, just so happens to be 32mm wide!!!
    Sweet, ok let's try this. Get the legs off AGAIN (starting to become a pro at this now) and press the seal into place. Get the legs on, everything buttoned up and fill the negative side first to 120psi... watch the travel of the fork go to the bumper. Then do the positive side and the travel never moves? Seal is fine though.
    Pull it off the stand and try pressing on it (guess how I found the travel went to the bumper) and nothing, no movement. Ok let air out of the negative side and positive side completely. Put 50psi in the positive side and then start putting air in the negative side.... Bet you can't guess what happened!!!!!

So for those that have done this before, time for new seals on the lower legs? Guy I bought it from said he had done all the seals right before selling it.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Take a look at the air piston side, the little hour glass shaped plastic cylinder with a hole through the middle (center), is upside down. Easy mistake.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Let me elaborate. If the negative air took too many strokes to fill, something is wrong. If you fill the positive side and the wiper pops out, there is an issue, as in air is getting outside the stanchtion. The most common mistake is to flip the positive air piston spacer thingy (its about 30mm long and plastic, cant miss it). The pin hole in it is offcenter, make sure its in the right orientation.

mtbr member
    This is why I'm nervous to increase the travel on my revelation

Posted via mobile

The Fastest of Bananas

Quote Originally Posted by TwoNin9r View Post
    This is why I'm nervous to increase the travel on my revelation

Posted via mobile
    Put everything back the way it came out and you'll be fine. Just be slow and deliberate.

Short-Change-Hero
    And you are a freakin GENIUS!!! I so owe you some beer.

The Fastest of Bananas

And you are a freakin GENIUS!!! I so owe you some beer.
    Thanks bud, if you are ever in Colorado we will rip some trail and beer.

So did ya fix it up good?

Short-Change-Hero
    Yup that is exactly what it was. Just took the negative air shaft out, flipped that piece and put everything back together and WAHLA! Everything is now good to go! Seriously took me maybe 20 minutes (even found a small syringe that I used to put the proper amount of oil in).

@TwoNin9er, dude do not be scurr'd this was probably the most simple thing. Do that opposite of what I did and print out the instructions and do it. Pay close attention to the way things go back together and that there are crush washer/o-rings on both shafts that you will need to keep track of (rebound side comes off with it, negative air side liked to stick in the leg). Other than that, it was simple simple.....

The Fastest of Bananas
    Nice!

I keep a 5ml, 10ml, 60ml syringes and a 100ml graduated cylinder for suspension work. I found a huge box of the 60mls that work was throwing out, so I policed em up.

I find directions to be pointless, I just layout everying on the table exactly how it comes out.

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah see normally I do the same thing but I must have switched it around when I pulled the 20mm spacer or when I pulled everything apart to put the wave washer back.
    Oh and the piece we are referring to is the Negative Air Piston in the manual...

Oh and I believe that the syringe I have is 20ml so I filled halfway and shot half into each lower leg. Much easier than the pour method in the videos.

The Fastest of Bananas
    I thought thats what it was. And you shouldnt have needed to remove it to install the wave washer.

But after a few times, you can rocket through a fork service. I serviced and changed travel on a Reba in 10 minutes, my personal record lol.

Short-Change-Hero
    LOL... yeah didn't touch the motion control side so that will be the next adventure in the winter when I have the bike up for the season (well depending on what the winter looks like, if it is like this last year I will be riding all the way through which would make 4yrs in a row.)

The Fastest of Bananas

LOL... yeah didn't touch the motion control side so that will be the next adventure in the winter when I have the bike up for the season (well depending on what the winter looks like, if it is like this last year I will be riding all the way through which would make 4yrs in a row.)
    Rock Shox dampners are super oil volume sensitive, so make sure you get a graduated cylinder when you do it. Or just add and subtract oil until it feels right. There are a few ways to do it.

Generally, its ok to leave the dampner alone until there is a problem. Mine was full of water, which is a big issue, haha!

Short-Change-Hero
    yeah we will see once the bike is finished and I can start riding it. From there I will make the determination as to whether to pull it completely apart. Now to service my Tower Pro next, but that will happen another night.

The Fastest of Bananas
    How do you like the Tower? I hate the Reba on my hardtail, and Im considering rigid rather than dropping for a fox. But the Tower is cheap.

Short-Change-Hero
    Seriously love my Tower Pro (now Minute, again). I had originally planned on buying a 140mm but there were a few guys (Captn here with the Thumper) that had it at that travel and felt it was too flexy. But nothing but stellar reviews at 100mm and 120mm (I run 100mm). If you can find one cheap they are an incredible set and forget fork, plus the 15qr is unlike any other thru-axle.

Short-Change-Hero
    This thing is looking better and better. Hoping to have some more in-depth review information about the shock soon.....
    Eric Porter Runs Down the new Manitou McLeod Rear Shock

Summer of 14 seems like it will mainly be OEM release and then probably later this year or early next for full retail release. Video says custom sizing and tuning available!

mtbr member
    This thread just became gold (not that it wasn't before Lol)

Posted via mobile

Short-Change-Hero
    It pays to be an analyst by nature. Now if I could only make some real money doing this crap.....

mtbr member
    Lol I think I will attempt the travel increase while the bike is out of commission waiting on the new wheelset

Posted via mobile

The Fastest of Bananas

Lol I think I will attempt the travel increase while the bike is out of commission waiting on the new wheelset

Posted via mobile
    How do you plan on doing that?

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post

He is going MacGuyver style; spit, a paper clip, a wad of bubble gum (must be Big League Chew), a rubberband, and 1"x2" post-it note.

mtbr member
    My revelation is currently set at 130mm but can be spacer increased up to 140

Posted via mobile

Short-Change-Hero
    Do it dude... it was seriously easy to change everything out and whatnot. Just take your time and read the instructions and be sure that everything is oriented properly. If you do not have one get a small 10ml syringe (think you can get them at most drugstores) to make things easier on you. Oh and you will need a 24mm socket to get the top cap off the air side, all of $5-$7 from Lowes/Home Depot.

The Fastest of Bananas

Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post

I thought you meant rear travel, haha. Its something I want to try, potentially with a custom machined link.

mtbr member
    Oh do keep us posted :-)

Posted via mobile

The Fastest of Bananas

Oh do keep us posted :-)

Posted via mobile
    Its a thought, may never happen. I was hoping Scott would take the idea and run with it. I dont have any resources to make it happen. I believe its possible though.

mtbr member
    I don't see why not

Posted via mobile

The Fastest of Bananas

I don't see why not

Posted via mobile
    Well, there are several reasons why not. However, those are just potentials. The first being the tire hitting the seattube. Next, being the tire hitting the seat hitting the tire with the dropper down at full travel. Also, there would be no way of running a front derailleur.

mtbr member
    Yeah but I cab think of potential fixes for all of the above, geometry permitting

Posted via mobile

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast