Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Really excited to see this thing done up.

Posted via mobile

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post

Will be looking for a X-Fusion Trace with the 34mm stanchions.
    Good call

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Don't let travel scare you away. Focus more weight and proper suspension tuning. A 160mm fork can ride just as well as a 100mm fork and in many cases be just as light, but the 160mm fork will feel much better going downhill than the 100mm fork.

True XC builds are usually lessons in restraint. What's the minimum I can live with? Many world cup XC riders like 80mm of perfectly tuned travel because its just enough to help with downhill stability and not much more weight than a carbon fork.

Downhill riders dont care too much about weight, so they take as much travel as they can get without adding a lot of weight or losing efficiency.

For the average rider, don't be scared off by travel, be more worried about whether you use it. If you've got 160mm and you're only using 100mm of it, maybe you've got too big a bike.
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah for some reason I thought that it would feel like I was riding one of those choppers from the old 70s movies where the wheel was like 5' in front of the actual bars. After riding the Trance SX yesterday it gave me a better understanding of how if the bike is actually setup to use the angles properly then it will feel balanced properly. I am a touch and feel person so until I physically experience it (to some degree) then I am alway apprehensive. I was basically just riding it around the parking lot and going over and off curbs but it gave me a better understanding, and the Trance has a 66* HTA to boot with the 140mm fork setting (goes to 160mm).

Really stoked to get this bike finished and start riding it. But with work trips and what not (life) I got to bide my time getting parts here and there.

Since I have pretty much settled on the X-Fusion Trace now comes the dilemma of either going with an X0 rear derailleur or an X9. Basic difference in cost is about $50 (most new X9 can be found right around $90 and I can get an X0 on amazon for $140). I hear that the shifting is super crisp with the X0 but the X9 (what I run now) is stellar so wondering if I should just go with the X9 and spend that extra $50 elsewhere.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Did you say you are going 2x10?

If so, go with whatever is cheaper.

If you are going 1x10, I'd go for something with the clutch. In the case of SRAM, getting on the 11spd train would be a wise investment. Especially the wide-range 42t cassette.
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    Yeah for some reason I thought that it would feel like I was riding one of those choppers from the old 70s movies where the wheel was like 5' in front of the actual bars. After riding the Trance SX yesterday it gave me a better understanding of how if the bike is actually setup to use the angles properly then it will feel balanced properly. I am a touch and feel person so until I physically experience it (to some degree) then I am alway apprehensive. I was basically just riding it around the parking lot and going over and off curbs but it gave me a better understanding, and the Trance has a 66* HTA to boot with the 140mm fork setting (goes to 160mm).

Really stoked to get this bike finished and start riding it. But with work trips and what not (life) I got to bide my time getting parts here and there.

Since I have pretty much settled on the X-Fusion Trace now comes the dilemma of either going with an X0 rear derailleur or an X9. Basic difference in cost is about $50 (most new X9 can be found right around $90 and I can get an X0 on amazon for $140). I hear that the shifting is super crisp with the X0 but the X9 (what I run now) is stellar so wondering if I should just go with the X9 and spend that extra $50 elsewhere.
    Kinda like this?

Next build... HammerHead Thumper-easy-rider.jpg

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah going 2x10 since I live where there is lots of climbing. I am sure that I could get used to a 1x10/11 but dont know if I want to go there quite yet. So I will stick with the X9 system then.

@SwitchbackBikes - yeah that's it, like Easy Rider style.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

The Fastest of Bananas

Re: Next build... HammerHead Thumper

I really think 2x is a better setup where is mountainous. Unless someone makes a 44-10 cassette. I cant deal with losing the top end to get a low enough gear for 4-5000 feet of climbing in a day.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Short-Change-Hero
    New bars came today... think they are quite sexy and thinking I am going to like the feel of the wider bars. If nothing else they are 780mm wide with cut-down markings so I can cut them a bit shorter until I find what I like.

Untitled by renofizz, on Flickr
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member
    New bars came today... think they are quite sexy and thinking I am going to like the feel of the wider bars. If nothing else they are 780mm wide with cut-down markings so I can cut them a bit shorter until I find what I like.

Oh DAYUM! Love em!

Short-Change-Hero
    Hey Scott check out the info on the new Manitou Macleod. Think I found the replacement for the Float CTD.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

The Fastest of Bananas

Hey Scott check out the info on the new Manitou Macleod. Think I found the replacement for the Float CTD.
    Does the Float need replacing?

Short-Change-Hero
    No just not a fan of FOX components. They have burned me before.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

The Fastest of Bananas

No just not a fan of FOX components. They have burned me before.
    I hope I dont have that problem. So far I have liked my Fox stuff better than Marz, Manitou, and Rock Shox.

The only exception is the Pike and Monarch Plus combo. Those were awesome.

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah don't get me wrong I know that they can make good products but have had to many experiences with them where they blew me or friends/family off with legitimate issues. So instead of giving them my money I would rather go with something from a company that cares about its customers. As I have said before, Manitou has done right by me answering pretty much any and all questions I have had, even to the point where I have physically talked with their head engineers about tuning options for my Tower Pro or sending me a rebuild kit for my BILs HFX-9 brakes free of charge (overnight too).

Decided to throw the bars on the Inbred and ride it for a while to get the feel down.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member

I love the bend of my answer bars and damn the gold is nice.

mtbr member

Hammerhead Bicycles Decal

Digging through some old files....found an image of a customer's bike in New Zealand. He had a "Hammerhead Bicycles" Decal made up to put over the "Thumper" logo....thought it looked pretty cool. These would be really inexpensive to produce

Next build... HammerHead Thumper-hh-dt-decal.jpg

Next build... HammerHead Thumper-hh-dt-decal-2.jpg

Next build... HammerHead Thumper-hhbicyclesupdated.fw.png

Short-Change-Hero
    Was actually going through the "Will Hammerhead/Switchback Bikes Make It" thread and you had a rendering of a frame with a black headtube faded to blue body. Really liked that one.

Have friends that own a printing shop so I may talk to them about doing something different if that is ok with you Scott (of course I would share files with you and what not).
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member

Blk/Blu Unveil9

Was actually going through the "Will Hammerhead/Switchback Bikes Make It" thread and you had a rendering of a frame with a black headtube faded to blue body. Really liked that one.

Have friends that own a printing shop so I may talk to them about doing something different if that is ok with you Scott (of course I would share files with you and what not).
    That would be very cool....e-mail me and I can send over Artwork

This is the frame you are referring too, yeah?

Next build... HammerHead Thumper-unveil9-blkblueb-final.jpg

mtbr member

More Mock-Ups

Digging through some old mock-ups

Next build... HammerHead Thumper-130_promo.jpg

Next build... HammerHead Thumper-04.jpg

Next build... HammerHead Thumper-08.jpg

Next build... HammerHead Thumper-09.jpg

Next build... HammerHead Thumper-enduro-b_blueblack-crop.jpg

Short-Change-Hero
    Yup that is the one and I like the red and white mockups and the last blue black mockup
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member
    I love that red and white (top photo) wow!

Posted via mobile

The Fastest of Bananas
    Is nice!

Short-Change-Hero
    See what I was thinking would look good is the words UNVEIL 9 going down the bottom of the bottom tube. This would be done with a white outline to the lettering or even a large "plate" of white vinyl that had the words cut out. Front of the Head tube would have the emblem (mountain range) and the back of the seat tube would have Switchback down it. I am a fairly minimalistic person when it comes to wording and with the shape of the tubes lettering will look strange due to the varied sizes and progression of tube.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast