Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    The Fastest of Bananas

Re: Next build... HammerHead Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    See what I was thinking would look good is the words UNVEIL 9 going down the bottom of the bottom tube. This would be done with a white outline to the lettering or even a large "plate" of white vinyl that had the words cut out. Front of the Head tube would have the emblem (mountain range) and the back of the seat tube would have Switchback down it. I am a fairly minimalistic person when it comes to wording and with the shape of the tubes lettering will look strange due to the varied sizes and progression of tube.
    Thats was one of the concepts me.and my. powdercoater talked about.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I just want mine flat black. Or flat green.

Posted via mobile

The Fastest of Bananas

Quote Originally Posted by TwoNin9r View Post
    I just want mine flat black. Or flat green.

Posted via mobile
    The make a matte topcoat so you can make any color flat.

Short-Change-Hero
    LOL... matte green with the words "F Bomb" on it with a pic of a Betty.

The Fastest of Bananas

You can get a graphic like that printed on heat safe vynil. All under the matte clear. just sayin

mtbr member
    See what I was thinking would look good is the words UNVEIL 9 going down the bottom of the bottom tube. This would be done with a white outline to the lettering or even a large "plate" of white vinyl that had the words cut out. Front of the Head tube would have the emblem (mountain range) and the back of the seat tube would have Switchback down it. I am a fairly minimalistic person when it comes to wording and with the shape of the tubes lettering will look strange due to the varied sizes and progression of tube.
    We actually almost put the Thumper decal on the downtube initially. I like that concept a lot....
    And I am working on a headtube badge w/ the MTN range in it....Taiwan is using the HH Headtube badge as the starting point

Next build... HammerHead Thumper-img_5632.jpg

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    You can get a graphic like that printed on heat safe vynil. All under the matte clear. just sayin

HA! That would be awesome

Short-Change-Hero
    Like this...

Next build... HammerHead Thumper-fast-4.jpg

The Fastest of Bananas
    Undoubtably thats a camaro. (f body)

mtbr member
    Lol I love this thread

Posted via mobile

mtbr member

Next build... HammerHead Thumper

HA! Me too!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short-Change-Hero
    I'm an analyst by nature and job title...... I think things through and over analyze them ALOT. But at least I know it and as my wife says "At least I know if we are buying something you have put thought into it and will get the best bang for our buck."

Oh yeah and I am very creative and aesthetic... done a lot in my short life, from throwing boxes, 3yrs of Physical Therapy schooling, Massage schooling, Crystal Manufacturing analysis and sales to large electronics companies, Analysis work, IT work (network design, troubleshooting, etc.), Web and Graphics design, Conceptual analysis and design and according to my wife I could be a certified Redken Colorist and Design artist (hairstylist). So like I tell my employees, I am not the "normal" guy... the normal guy has the 8 or maybe 16 color crayon box... I am onto the larger 64 color box sometimes verging on the 120 color box... LOL

mtbr member

I'm an analyst by nature and job title...... I think things through and over analyze them ALOT. But at least I know it and as my wife says "At least I know if we are buying something you have put thought into it and will get the best bang for our buck."

Oh yeah and I am very creative and aesthetic... done a lot in my short life, from throwing boxes, 3yrs of Physical Therapy schooling, Massage schooling, Crystal Manufacturing analysis and sales to large electronics companies, Analysis work, IT work (network design, troubleshooting, etc.), Web and Graphics design, Conceptual analysis and design and according to my wife I could be a certified Redken Colorist and Design artist (hairstylist). So like I tell my employees, I am not the "normal" guy... the normal guy has the 8 or maybe 16 color crayon box... I am onto the larger 64 color box sometimes verging on the 120 color box... LOL
    Jesus! Where do you find time to ride?! Lol

Posted via mobile

Short-Change-Hero
    Hey I will be 35 this year, work 4-10 (6am to 5pm) and get out after work or on the weekends. Have to say that not having kids really makes things work in my favor with that kind of stuff. While the wife is not a rider, she is a paddleboarder so it usually goes something like this on the weekends...
    Me: Im going to go for a ride in a bit
    Her: Ok well I am going up to Tahoe to paddleboard some.
    Me: K, what beach?
    Her: ABC beach, why?
    Me: Ok, mind dropping me off at XYZ trailhead on the way and then I will see you at the beach in a few hours?
    Her: Sure works for me... Dinner afterwards?
    Me: Where ever works for me as long as they have decent beer. Oh and I am gonna bring my trunks and change of clothes.

That usually happens when the weather is warm atleast. Harder when it is cold but she has a dry suit and I normally have to stay close to home because the trails are covered in snow (no fat bike for me ). She works 4-14s so whatever time we can get out of the house is a good thing.

mtbr member
    Sounds like a good situation!

Posted via mobile

Short-Change-Hero
    So looks like the inevitable has finally happened... Been looking at the calculations and my buddy bantering at me so I will be going with a 1x10 setup. While I will lose a bit in the granny gear and some on the top end as well the range will be about the same. My buddy also has an extra RF NW 30 or 32 ring he is going to give me to setup with my 11/36t cassette. Worse comes to worse I can drop the 17t ring and grab a WT or OU 40/42t big cog to replace it and gain some more bottom end (which is what I am more concerned about).

Here comes the newbish question... Since I bought the SLX 2x crankset (26/38t) I can just dump both rings for the RF NW right? And it will go on the outer most ring mount right?

After that, is there a need for a chain guide? I have been looking and seem like with the clutch type derailleurs there is no need.

The Fastest of Bananas

So looks like the inevitable has finally happened... Been looking at the calculations and my buddy bantering at me so I will be going with a 1x10 setup. While I will lose a bit in the granny gear and some on the top end as well the range will be about the same. My buddy also has an extra RF NW 30 or 32 ring he is going to give me to setup with my 11/36t cassette. Worse comes to worse I can drop the 17t ring and grab a WT or OU 40/42t big cog to replace it and gain some more bottom end (which is what I am more concerned about).

Here comes the newbish question... Since I bought the SLX 2x crankset (26/38t) I can just dump both rings for the RF NW right? And it will go on the outer most ring mount right?

After that, is there a need for a chain guide? I have been looking and seem like with the clutch type derailleurs there is no need.
    Yes, yes, and no.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    It doesn't go on the outer most ring. It would go where your current "middle" ring is.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

The Fastest of Bananas

Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    It doesn't go on the outer most ring. It would go where your current "middle" ring is.
    Its a double.

And if its a 32t, you will need a spacer or grind some material frame the tabs. 30t and 34t are fine.

Short-Change-Hero
    Its a double.

And if its a 32t, you will need a spacer or grind some material frame the tabs. 30t and 34t are fine.

Yeah the new SLX crank is a 2x10 so would go on the outer location... Ok are spacers something super special that HAVE to be bought from a bike shop or are they just like little washers?

Just read about the new(ish) Halo Vapour Carbon rims, seem awesome and was thinking, wait I saw the Vapour and they didnt say anything about carbon. Started digging and sure enough there is a Carbon version and regular Alu version. Then that gets me drooling about colors and find that the Vapour are colored, TR, and only $10 more...

Damnit now I might send the 29r Disc back for the Vapour. But then I have to decide on if I want black, red, or blue....

Only decent pic of the red I can find...
    Next build... HammerHead Thumper-halo-wheels-2013.jpg

Pic of the blue..
    Next build... HammerHead Thumper-halo-vapour-rim.jpg

The Fastest of Bananas

Yeah the new SLX crank is a 2x10 so would go on the outer location... Ok are spacers something super special that HAVE to be bought from a bike shop or are they just like little washers?

Just read about the new(ish) Halo Vapour Carbon rims, seem awesome and was thinking, wait I saw the Vapour and they didnt say anything about carbon. Started digging and sure enough there is a Carbon version and regular Alu version. Then that gets me drooling about colors and find that the Vapour are colored, TR, and only $10 more...

Damnit now I might send the 29r Disc back for the Vapour. But then I have to decide on if I want black, red, or blue....
    As long as they are the right size youre good. And with a spacer you dont need to go buy short bolts.

mtbr member

Only decent pic of the red I can find...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Halo-Wheels-2013.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	893869

Pic of the blue..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Halo-Vapour-rim.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	893868
    Yum!

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah debating if the extra money is worth color and the "TR" standing. I will go ghetto tubeless with whatever I have no matter what.

The Fastest of Bananas

Yeah debating if the extra money is worth color and the "TR" standing. I will go ghetto tubeless with whatever I have no matter what.
    Do eet

mtbr member

I 2nd that

mtbr member
    Thirdsies

Posted via mobile

Short-Change-Hero
    LOL you guys are bad for me.

Short-Change-Hero
    So I missed out on a good deal on an X-Fusion Trace due to a meeting this morning on ebay. Missed it by $5!!!

However I found a pretty good deal on a RS Revelation Dual Air, Motion Control yada yada yada... The revelation seems to be getting good reviews but wondering how it will hold up at 140mm with the 32mm stanchions. Deal is almost too good to pass up but the pics of the fork look good and no scratches on the stanchion tubes. Seller says he serviced it himself last week and changed out the oil, but is a 2012.

Meh fork got meh reviews for those years. I will just keep my eyes open for another good deal. That makes two I have missed on ebay, that Trace and a 34mm FOX Talas 140 that went for $300.

mtbr member

You need to stop working so much so you don't keep missing the deals

mtbr member
    I have two Revelations, both 140 mm travel, both 2012 models, both have 20mm axles, both purchased from Chain Reaction. One is on my Thumper, the other is on my Diamondback Mason. I'm 250 with gear, ride aggressively and like to jump. The fork holds up very well and is plenty stiff enough. The burliest fork I have owned was a Fox 36, and while the Revelation isn't that stiff, it's not noticeably different to me. Not sure if it's because my axles are 20mm as opposed to 15mm. Too bad you can only get a 20mm axle on a downhill fork these days.

I like the Revelation...it's plush, but like I said before, if I had the coin, I would have gotten a Pike. I'm totally happy with the Revelation, though.

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah well the guy made me a deal I couldn't refuse so he is getting me shipping cost tomorrow and it is a done deal. At this price I am going to buy the RWC Enduro seal kit for it and redo all the seals when I adjust the travel (currently set at 120mm).

The Fastest of Bananas

Yeah well the guy made me a deal I couldn't refuse so he is getting me shipping cost tomorrow and it is a done deal. At this price I am going to buy the RWC Enduro seal kit for it and redo all the seals when I adjust the travel (currently set at 120mm).
    Dont bother with the enduro seals. RS seals are outstanding.

Short-Change-Hero
    Ok well I would like to rebuild the fork myself anyways since I am going to have to take it apart to adjust the travel to 140mm, so I was figuring it was a "while your in there" scenario. And looking at the rebuild kits out of curiosity it seems like they were about the same price as the enduro kit.

Question is, what is a good fork oil to use and stanchion lube? I am going to use it to rebuild my Manitou Tower Pro as well and believe that both forks call for 5wt oil. Is the Buzzy's brand Shock Nectar and Slick Honey any good?

Short-Change-Hero
    ^^^ a freaking stellar deal and Scott is great to deal with. I just picked up a used Revelation of the same year/make for $245 shipped, the FSA headset is about $30 on ebay and the leftover Thumper frames are $750 so for all that stuff, plus a 1-off paint color for $600.... all I can say is!!!

Name:  tumblr_mga3faftNp1rjv730o2_500.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  113.3 KB

mtbr member
    Hhhaaa!!

The Fastest of Bananas

Ok well I would like to rebuild the fork myself anyways since I am going to have to take it apart to adjust the travel to 140mm, so I was figuring it was a "while your in there" scenario. And looking at the rebuild kits out of curiosity it seems like they were about the same price as the enduro kit.

Question is, what is a good fork oil to use and stanchion lube? I am going to use it to rebuild my Manitou Tower Pro as well and believe that both forks call for 5wt oil. Is the Buzzy's brand Shock Nectar and Slick Honey any good?
    Use the motorex stuff your local motorsports shop carries. same stuff and cheaper. slick honey on any bushings and seals.

The seals are the same price, but the new fox and RS seals are SKF, and are fantastic. The enduros are on par, but they were an upgrade on fox before they used SKF seals.

Short-Change-Hero
    Use the motorex stuff your local motorsports shop carries. same stuff and cheaper. slick honey on any bushings and seals.

The seals are the same price, but the new fox and RS seals are SKF, and are fantastic. The enduros are on par, but they were an upgrade on fox before they used SKF seals.

Cool thanks for the information on the oil..

The Fastest of Bananas

Cool thanks for the information on the oil..
    Full synthetic 15w is good in the lowers also. Full synthetic gear oil is a good substitute for flox float fluid and rock shocks red rum stuff.

Short-Change-Hero
    Ok so 5wt for the uppers and 15wt for the lowers. Too bad it isn't something I have laying around like 80w90 gear oil, 15w40 motor oil, or Moly based high temp bearing grease... LOL, looks like I get to add new liquid to the collection in the garage!

The Fastest of Bananas

Ok so 5wt for the uppers and 15wt for the lowers. Too bad it isn't something I have laying around like 80w90 gear oil, 15w40 motor oil, or Moly based high temp bearing grease... LOL, looks like I get to add new liquid to the collection in the garage!
    15w motor oil (synthetic) is fine for the lowers. You do need fork oil for the damping though. I like to keep lots of stuff in the garage, I have a lube for every occasion.

Short-Change-Hero
    Ok dumb question... is there such a thing as straight 15w motor oil or will it be like what I run in my LC, 15w40 diesel oil.

Revelation should be here tomorrow night.

The Fastest of Bananas

Ok dumb question... is there such a thing as straight 15w motor oil or will it be like what I run in my LC, 15w40 diesel oil.
    not really. there is always a second number, but use full synthetic only in forks

mtbr member
    iirc second number is the freezing temp?

Posted via mobile

Short-Change-Hero
    Ok yeah I use Rotella T 15w40 in my truck and still have a bit leftover (damn things takes almost 9qts per oil change).

mtbr member
    Oh wow I just read like a 10 page article on oil viscosity Lol. Yeah the second number is viscosity at operating temp. After reading that article I would only use a "single number" oil like sae15 because the second number means there are additives to change the oil viscosity at operating temperature. I wouldn't want to put those additives in my fork, having no idea how they would react with the seals and such. But plenty of people do it so I dunno. Here's the article I read.

http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/motoroil_viscosity/

Posted via mobile

Short-Change-Hero
    Excited!!!!
    So I picked up a 2012 RS Revelation RLT (set to 120mm) from PinkBike for $245 shipped. Guy said it had normal scratches and what not but the pics looked very clean. It should be here tonight so I will post pics as soon as I can. The only thing that I did not plan for was that it was a 20mm thru-axle so hopefully that doesnt change my hub purchase. Friend of my brothers builds wheels on the side and is getting me some Taiwanese hubs (MoYon) for cheap and going to build my wheels with the Halo 29r Disc (which I found out from Halo are being discontinued and replaced by the Vapour). So the hubs should be here in the middle of June and I will have him build them up for me. Pretty much just got little stuff to grab here and there now so hopefully it will be good and ready come August!

mtbr member
    Worst case you can probably get a lower for the fork that has a 15mm. Probably expensive but still not a new fork

Posted via mobile

The Fastest of Bananas
    A new hub is cheape

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah I have contacted my builder and told him that I came across this deal so change of plans. Looks like it should be ok and if nothing else I will pay a little extra for a separate front hub that I will throw on something else or sell.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast