Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Very nice @snug dug.... that is the build that I am going after, no real concern of weight just a fun all around bike. I think with the stuff I have been picking so far I will end up having a stellar bike for right around $2k.
    Yup. I wanted solid. Not wispy. A workingman's build.

Of course, if I had the coin, I would have put a Rock Shox Pike on it

Short-Change-Hero
    Thought this was kind of funny... been looking at a new rack because I have a cheapo one that the bikes hang from the top tube, fine for my ht and for when I had the Kona Jake, but sucked for our cruisers and now going to suck for the Thumper.

Always liked the Kuat NV/NV Core and so was looking at an old article that compared the two (both great and pretty much a tie based on the $100 price increase for the extra features)..

Anyway, first picture of the rack ends up having a Thumper on the back! LOL. Here's the article...

Next build... HammerHead Thumper-hammerhead-thumper-rack.jpg
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    HA! Awesome!

Marc at Bike Rumor did a review of the Thumper when they first came out.....he had some great things to say about it! Now we know how he got the Thumper to the trailhead

First Rides: Hammerhead?s Hard-Charging Thumper Trail Bike

Short-Change-Hero
    Well hoping the big brown truck will show up with a couple of deliveries for me today. I have one confirmed which is the HALO Disc 29r rims that were recommended by my wheelbuilder (can't go wrong for $39/ea plus free shipping). These are between the Stan's NoTube ARCH EX and FLOW EX at 26mm external width and 20.5mm internal width and 18.5mm deep/tall. Though nothing says they are "tubeless ready" but I will probably go ghetto tubeless first and if that doesnt work I will do a Stans system. I love the Flows on my current HT but they are a bit wide and heavy for my general riding and the Stans BST beadseat is a b#@*% when it comes to my favorite tires, GEAX. And really at 480g per rim (yes I will weigh them).... you cant go wrong.

The other box will contain my items from Ribble bike; my SLX Crankset, SLX Brakeset and XT Cassette.

So far I have come up with the following for my buildout over the next couple months and hoping that I can swing it before the 4th of July but that may be a bit agressive for the wallet....

Handlebars - ODI Flight Control 740mm
    Headset - CaneCreek 40 series ZS40
    Stem - Randome 60mm (probably try the 70mm on my HT first few rides to see how it does)
    Grips - Lizardskinz Peaty Lock-ons
    Seatpost - Kind Shock eTen (you win Denis and TwoNin9r)
    Saddle - Charge Spoon
    Front D - Sram X7 High Direct Mount
    Rear D - Sram X9 Long Cage
    Brake Rotors - Shimano SLX (possibly IceTech if I can find a good price)
    Tires - GEAX Goma 2.25"
    Fork - ?????

Now the last is the big one for me as that is going to be the next biggest expense to the frame itself. I am not a fan of FOX products for multiple personal reasons so unless the deal is too good to pass up then I will not be going with any FOX products. While I am not against RockShox I feel that they have become similar to FOX in recent years and are getting "too big for their britches" so to speak. Case-in-point go to any Classifieds on PinkBike, here, ebay, wherever and you will find that 80% of the forks/shocks being sold are FOX or RS. And on top of this they still demand a high margin.

I currently run a 2011 Manitou Tower Pro 100mm FIRM spring fork and absolutely love it. The small bump compliance, smooth mid stroke, progressive ramp up on travel usage and tuneability all make this an incredible fork for me and my "geeky" side. However, Manitou has dropped the TOWER name for the 2014 year and split the line between the MINUTE and MARVEL. The Minute is more XC/Trail focused while the Marvel is more XC race focused using different damper and spring technologies. One of the main draws of the Manitou originally is that you could buy a new fork with such good reviews for HALF of what RS or FOX wanted for their mid-tier or low-tier forks, alas this seems to be no more as the MSRP for the MINUTE and MARVEL are both in the $650-$700 range. Once they are released we will see if that sticks. My main concern is that this bike is built around a 130mm+ geometry and I have heard tail of the 140mm Tower Pro being a bit laterally flexy. Whether this is true or not I do not know but am apprehensive.

The other two I have been looking at are the White Brothers Loop and the X-Fusion Slide/Trace. All of these offer internal adjustability between 120mm and 140mm which would allow me to geek out with my comparisons. Both have gotten really good reviews like the Manitou AND are comparably priced (I bought my Tower Pro for $276 new to my door) to the Manitou of old. So again, as this is a budget build I will find what has the best pricepoint and ROI for me and go from there.

Sorry for the wall of text!
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

The Fastest of Bananas
    Sounds like a plan!

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Short-Change-Hero
    Thought that I would throw this in the loop... I know that I talk a lot about being so close to Lake Tahoe California and that is where I ride a lot for justification as to what I will be doing with this bike. So here are some videos with the trails I will ride and have ridden....

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (California side)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

Short-Change-Hero
    Freel Ridge to Armstrong and Corral
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

Short-Change-Hero
    Van Sickle (newer trail)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

Short-Change-Hero
    The Flume Trail
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

Short-Change-Hero
    Tahoe Rim Trail (connects with the Flume at multiple intersections)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

Short-Change-Hero
    Donner Commerative Emigrant Trail (pretty smooth flowy singletrack)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member

Next build... HammerHead Thumper

@gregnash....awesome info on your targeted build. Very well thought out....

As for the videos and where you get to ride regularly

I HATE YOU!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short-Change-Hero
    LOL... Well I am just lucky that I have this much literally in my backyard.

Got the Halo Disc 29rs today and they are nice looking rims. Pulled them out and weighed them both right about 500g (one looked to be 490ish and the other a smidge over 500). So they should make for some nice rims. Of course got them all packed back up and put away to realize I didn't take pics. D'OH
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

The Fastest of Bananas
    That was some sweet riding. I need a go pro so i can post up some vids of my local colorado gnar.

Short-Change-Hero
    FastBanana - post up some pics of your local rides. Hoping that I can get out to Steamboat next year with the Thumper in tow. Colorado was my very first "real" mtb ride and the reason I fell in love with it.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member
    I have heard tail of the 140mm Tower Pro being a bit laterally flexy. Whether this is true or not I do not know but am apprehensive.
    Under my weight it was flexy. I realized how bad it really was once I got a Fox 34 on there. I also couldn't get an XX firm spring which didn't help. It was OK on my hardtail, but one ride on the Thumper was enough to know I needed a different fork. Look for a good deal on a Trace, or a used Fox 34 or Pike.

The Fastest of Bananas

Re: Next build... HammerHead Thumper

FastBanana - post up some pics of your local rides. Hoping that I can get out to Steamboat next year with the Thumper in tow. Colorado was my very first "real" mtb ride and the reason I fell in love with it.
    I will eventually. I need a go pro first though.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    Under my weight it was flexy. I realized how bad it really was once I got a Fox 34 on there. I also couldn't get an XX firm spring which didn't help. It was OK on my hardtail, but one ride on the Thumper was enough to know I needed a different fork. Look for a good deal on a Trace, or a used Fox 34 or Pike.
    Shameless self-promo
    Thumper frame/Trace fork - $1,199
    http://www.switchbackbikes.com/hamme...per/frame-fork

Can work out fork only price for anyone that has already purchased the frame

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchback Bikes View Post
    Shameless self-promo
    Thumper frame/Trace fork - $1,199
    Hammerhead Thumper Frame/Fork ? 27.5 | 29er | Switchback Bikes

Can work out fork only price for anyone that has already purchased the frame

Because that is what I needed to hear... Man my wallet is already smoking!! Sigh, fork will have to wait till towards the end of the build.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    Thanks for the info Capt! See that is what I was wonder. While I am not really a true clyde, 6' and 190ish#s, I currently run the FIRM spring and love it on my 100mm fork. I have a feeling that it is just the length of the fork and I would hate to grab it and end up hating it at 140mm. Really wish they would do a 29" 130mm in like the MATTOC, that thing is looking to be like a stellar fork.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member

HA!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info Capt! See that is what I was wonder. While I am not really a true clyde, 6' and 190ish#s, I currently run the FIRM spring and love it on my 100mm fork. I have a feeling that it is just the length of the fork and I would hate to grab it and end up hating it at 140mm.
    I weigh 195 - 200 if that helps. Brake dive was terrible with the stock spring. I got it rebuilt with the X firm spring which helped, but it still wasn't great. Save you money for a stiffer fork. I got my Fox used for $450 shipped.

Short-Change-Hero
    So here is a dumb, theoretical question for everyone...
    This frame is built around a 130mm (~5.11") travel platform, so if you were to change the geometry slightly from what it was built for your possible negative/positive effects revolve around changing the HTA and the BB height.

So if you looked at going with a shorter travel fork, say the 120mm (~4.72") travel fork, that really is only a difference of 10mm (~0.39") which is less than half an inch. If I remember correctly, a change (either positive or negative) in travel of 10mm approximately effects the HTA by ~1*. If that is true, then the geometry change (compared to the website) would put the total HTA change from 68* @ 140mm to ~70* at 120mm?

I know I am over analyzing this but I have time for that while I do this build. It also doesnt help that that is what I do for a living... LOL
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

Short-Change-Hero

So here is a question..... I have been looking at 2x chainguides and wondering if I should do one? I have a 2x9 setup now without a guide and I still drop my chain inside but I have a bash guard on the big ring so I don't drop off completely.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

Short-Change-Hero
    Got my package from Ribble today and man I don't think I have ever seen so many new parts. With my Inbred the only NEW parts that I bought were the wheels, fork and frame, everything else was used from Ebay or stuff out of friends/family's parts bins.

Shimano XT 11/36T rear cassette (350g)
    Untitled by renofizz, on Flickr

Shimano SLX brakes (~350g per side... note these DO come with pads already and ARE setup moto which should be an easy fix)

Shimano SLX Crankset 26/38T w/ bottom bracket (BB 100g, crankset ~750g)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

Short-Change-Hero
    So went and did a quick parking lot ride on a Trance SX that was set at 140mm. Much more comfortable with the travel now. For some reason I felt like the travel would be like riding a DH bike with the wheel way out in front of me.

Will be looking for a X-Fusion Trace with the 34mm stanchions.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast