Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Re: Next build... HammerHead Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Using a Canon EOS-M. Yeah inadvertently had the album set to friends only.
    Man I need to stop buying glass for my nikon so I can justify switching to canon. Haha ok sorry I will end my thread jack now. Can't wait to see more pics as the bike comes together.

Posted via mobile

Short-Change-Hero
    LOL.. Nikon is still great but I like Canon stuff better. My family has used Canon since my dad bought his first camera in college so it is kinda engrained in me. The little EOS-M is a stellar camera and the quality of the 22mm F/2 lens that you can get for it is amazing.

For me, talking about cameras/photography, women, old cars, and mtbing are never considered thread jacks!
    This is one of my favorite pics when I first got that lens... focal point was outside corner of his eye.
    Untitled by renofizz, on Flickr
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member

Next build... HammerHead Thumper

HA! Awesome....+1 on the never a thread jack topics

Killer pic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short-Change-Hero
    Ok just to confirm (since no one has answered my thread in the drivetrain section) mixing Shimano and SRAM drivetrain items is not an issue anymore is it? Looking at doing XT crank and cassette with the rest being SRAM.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member

10spd?

Short-Change-Hero
    Yes.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member

Cool....yeah should all work w/ no issues
    Just don't try to combine SRAM/Shimano Shifters/Derailleurs

mtbr member

This is still one of my favorite shots, and it's thread relevant!

Posted via mobile

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah would more than likely be all SRAM except for the Front D which is how I have my bike setup right now only 9spd. Never used Ribble before but they have some stellar deals, like $101 for XT crank (26/39) with free shipping to the US.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member

Oh wow...that's a killer deal...
    I can't even get XT cranks for that price

Maybe I should use them as an OE Source....HA

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah just did the order....
    SLX crankset with 26/38 $101
    SLX brakeset (no rotors) $123
    XT Cassette 11-36T $47
    All with free shipping to the US. Probably take a bit to get here but I am in no hurry.

EDIT: Wrong crankset... the XT is $150 the SLX is $101, still not bad though.
    Last edited by gregnash; 05-03-2014 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Sorry wrong crank... xt is $150.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member

Ok just to confirm (since no one has answered my thread in the drivetrain section) mixing Shimano and SRAM drivetrain items is not an issue anymore is it? Looking at doing XT crank and cassette with the rest being SRAM.
    I do it all day long. Freewheels and derailleurs too.

sent remotely

Short-Change-Hero
    yeah I figured that the should have been any sudden issues that came up from 9spd to 10spd (I know there are some issues with 9spd items and 10spd items mixed together) so if nothing else I can always sell the parts on ebay and make my money back but I am stoked to get them all new. This will be my first build where the majority of the parts are new.

@TwoNin9r - Yeah that is a great shot! Still completely blown away by this little camera and the 22m lens, it has stellar optics for a $100 lens, hell even for a $400 lens. I know that it does better than some of my more expensive glass. And Samyang/Rokinon just released a EF-M set of lenses for this camera, one being a 12mm! If it is even close to what they normally put out it will be killer and their new lenses are being designed specifically for mirrorless APS-C camera to boot.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

Short-Change-Hero
    Got confirmation from Ribble that stuff is on its way and should be here next week (says 3-7 business days to the US). I am going to have to keep an eye on their site for some good deals.

Next thing in my basket is I found a SRAM X0 Long cage rear derailleur for $140 on Amazon. Since this is a cheap ass price from what I can tell I am tempted to just grab it but want to let the smoking account settle down a bit. But again, I cant find even used ones for half that price and a new X9 (even used) will run me $80-$100ish. The main reason I am looking at the X0 is that my jockey wheels get dirty and nasty and the X0 allows for the jockeys to be easily changed out, but the X9 you have to buy only proprietary SRAM one's, no aftermarket available.

And I found some pics to give you and idea of what i am looking at for wheels, just have to decided if I want a white colored fork or black colored fork (I know, first world problems).

These are Mavic Crossmax Enduro wheels.....
    Next build... HammerHead Thumper-orbea-rallon-mavic-crossmax-enduro-wheels.jpg

Next build... HammerHead Thumper-photo.jpg

Next build... HammerHead Thumper-bronson_matt_jock.jpg

Was originally leaning towards the white fork, but thinking that it may look a little more sick with the all black everything and then a few accents (like gold handlebars, seatpost ring)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    EDIT: I see you did give some more info on the rims. Whats your riding style? I'm 185 geared up, and going with a beefier rim. Take drops up to 4ft HTF, and some very nasty rock gardens. I think I've narrowed down to WTB i25s or Carbon rims .
    @FastBanana.... Living where I do I have everything from flowy singletrack to hard, rocky AM trails (look up Mr. Toads Wild Ride in Tahoe and the Flume Trail). Most of what I ride on a regular basis is what I would consider "trail" riding, some flowy singletrack that has rock gardens, climbs, small 1-2' drops and what not all thrown in. One of the rides that I will be definitely doing on this is about a 25mile ride that is relatively flat (over the ride) but is trail riding in the trees, that then turns into some boulder technical descents though some boulder/rock gates then back to flowy climbs and descents. Really I am quite lucky where I live with tons of trail variety all within a couple hour drive.

Oh and I run about 195ish loaded up in my normal kit and going to add a pack this year (Osprey Raptor 10) so probably will add another 5ish #s. So probably call me 200 all kitted up. Riding is a little bit of everything again, not super aggressive but I will not shy going through a rock garden, just might take it slower than anything.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

The Fastest of Bananas
    I was curious because it looks like.a dated rim profile. Why not go with a modern rim and get it PCed if you want a blue one? Stans does custom colors for a upcharge as well.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah I want gold rims and was planning on going with Kinlin's but they no longer PC them for you. I was thinking about doing that and going with a better rim like the WTB i23 rim and then having a company locally PC it for me. The rims are going to be one of the last things that I get so not in a huge hurry and the BWWs were the right price for already being PCd.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

The Fastest of Bananas

Yeah I want gold rims and was planning on going with Kinlin's but they no longer PC them for you. I was thinking about doing that and going with a better rim like the WTB i23 rim and then having a company locally PC it for me. The rims are going to be one of the last things that I get so not in a huge hurry and the BWWs were the right price for already being PCd.
    They are anodized. PCing a rim will add 50 grams. But those rims are awful. I would.go.local or get the custom stans rims.

Short-Change-Hero
    Thanks for the info FastBanana, BWW always has good reviews on their builds but guess that doesn't say anything about the rims. I am looking at either WTB i23 or Halo Disc (both recommended by my wheelbuilder for my weight and riding).
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

The Fastest of Bananas

Thanks for the info FastBanana, BWW always has good reviews on their builds but guess that doesn't say anything about the rims. I am looking at either WTB i23 or Halo Disc (both recommended by my wheelbuilder for my weight and riding).
    I forgot about Halo. If I dont get carbon rims, I would love to have some in gold ano

Short-Change-Hero

Yeah they are on sale at Cambria bike right now so may just do it to get the sale price.

EDIT: Eh... said eff it and bought the Halo Disc, can't go wrong for $39.99 each (same cost as the BWW rims). Will call the local PC and see how much it would be to get them PC'd gold. Weight on the website says 480g/ea so even with the 50g extra per wheel of PC it would still come out to only 530g which is what I believe my Stans Flow weight right now. Not going weight weenie though so not a huge deal. But definitely don't want this thing to be an Iron Pig.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

The Fastest of Bananas

Yeah they are on sale at Cambria bike right now so may just do it to get the sale price.

EDIT: Eh... said eff it and bought the Halo Disc, can't go wrong for $39.99 each (same cost as the BWW rims). Will call the local PC and see how much it would be to get them PC'd gold. Weight on the website says 480g/ea so even with the 50g extra per wheel of PC it would still come out to only 530g which is what I believe my Stans Flow weight right now. Not going weight weenie though so not a huge deal. But definitely don't want this thing to be an Iron Pig.
    Those rims dont looks tubeless friendly

Short-Change-Hero
    Will try ghetto tubeless and if not then Stans kit will fix that. Not a big issue to me.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member

here's mine

Thought I'd share a picture of mine to keep you motivated. Bought my frame late last year from the good folks at Velorangutan (formerly Pink Gorilla Bikes). It's a medium in the gray color. Build highlights are Rock Shox Revelation 140, Sun Charger Pro wheelset, KS Supernatural post, Shimano Zee rear derailleur and shifter, Sram X7 front D and shifter, Answer Pro Taper 800mm carbon bars, Shimano Zee brakes (not in picture), SLX cranks, Answer Rove pedals, Race Face 50mm stem. Awesome bike if I do say so myself. Incredible climbing traction and descends like a beast. Tons of fun in Virginia's George Washington National Forest near Harrisonburg.
    Next build... HammerHead Thumper-img_6014.jpg

Short-Change-Hero
    Very nice @snug dug.... that is the build that I am going after, no real concern of weight just a fun all around bike. I think with the stuff I have been picking so far I will end up having a stellar bike for right around $2k.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast