Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
    Short-Change-Hero
    Ok that is what I was kinda thinking... May go for another ride tonight and if I do I will drop the PSI some. For the pressure, should I be treating it like my other forks even though it has tokens? So still trying to aim for 30% SAG?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    IMHO 30% SAG sounds a little too much, but then again you didn't mention bottoming out.
    I would try 20 %, and if you're not close to the end of travel, then take some tokens out.
    (With the tokens you can adjust the ramp up at the end stroke.)

Short-Change-Hero
    One thing I didn't mention was that I found I was only using about 3/4 the travel. To me that means that I have too much air in the fork so I should be running lower pressures. With all the new adjustments this is still correct?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Yes kinda

If you take some tokens out, then with the same pressure you should be using more travel and your sag should be about the same.

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah I guess I really just am not sure if I should leave the tokens in or mess with the other settings. But guess that is something that only time and tuning will tell. For now I will just mess with PSI and LSC to see if I can get to where I want. If it still feels to stiff and I am not getting full travel then I will remove a token.

Short-Change-Hero
    Its funny, just randomly started at Page 1 of my build thread and ready through some of the stuff, thought process and what not.

One thing I have figured out, I change my mind ALOT! Pretty much will not pick anything specifically until it is in my cart!

Also, yesterday when I was out for my ride doing the bit of tuning to the fork I ended running across our local trailbuilder/mailman/muscle powered pres and ss animal Potter with a buddy of his. Had someone contacting me that will be doing the Epic Ride Carson Offroad this coming weekend in ss and so I spoke with Potter and his buddy about what gearing they recommended for the 35miler (which starts in town at about 4500' and goes up and hits 8k' at the top). So they gave me some recommendations, then Potters buddy says to me "So how long have you owned your Hammerhead?"

Truly I was dumbfounded... I have been all over the place, run across tons of riders but NO ONE has ever heard of Hammerhead before let alone asked me about the bike before I offered up the info. Turns out the guy used to live in Tulsa, OK when Hammerhead was still there, knew of Scott and had conversed with him regularly enough to know he was very active in the local bike community and was open when talking about his bikes. So we talked about the Thumperveil for a short bit but damn it was nice to FINALLY meet someone that WAS NOT an owner of one of our bikes but know how damn good these things are. Anyways, just thought I would share that.

Short-Change-Hero
    Went for a second ride tonight. Didn't touch any settings other than the PSI. Primed the shock pump and found the pump was about 92psi. Dropped it down to 80psi and now getting just about full travel on the bigger hits. Suspension feels a bit more plush than before but smaller hits, think bigger rocks but small enough to easily rollover or turn into a quick jump, so thinking that is the LSC. Thinking next ride will drop the psi another 5psi and then as long as I don't bottom out on the big hits I will mess the LSC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I totally trashed my rear derailleur hanger and bolts. Does anyone know where I can find replacements??

Short-Change-Hero
    For the thumper look in the Custom Builder forum and Scott had the information. The bolts are weird, something like and m6x.05x10mm. The rear D hanger can be purchase from an aftermarket supplier. Again everything is in the thread.

Short-Change-Hero
    Oh and for those that haven't seen my other posts I busted my leg last weekend while riding in the Wherewolf Memorial Ride in Auburn, Ca. Broke the fib up high and blew out my ankle. Doc says gonna be at least 6-8wks before I do any weight bearing and probably 3 months before I can drive. So 2016 riding season is done for me. Currently have the leg is a splint cast that goes 10" above my knee. Surgery on the ankle set for next Thursday.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    For the thumper look in the Custom Builder forum and Scott had the information. The bolts are weird, something like and m6x.05x10mm. The rear D hanger can be purchase from an aftermarket supplier. Again everything is in the thread.
    gregnash, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I've posted in that particular thread in the past and didn't realize Scott gave the small parts info there. I found the info in post #548 located in:

Forum > Mountain Bike Manufacturer Forums > Custom Builders & Other Manufacturers > Post your Hammerhead / Switchback

Also, sorry to hear about the broken leg. That sucks bad.

Short-Change-Hero
    @ilike29er - glad you were able to find the information. I actually need to get myself a couple extra derailleur hangers. Bolts were a funky length and I was able to purchase a small set on ebay. When I broke mine, the bolts sheared completely off between the derailleur hanger and the frame (luckily not affecting the frame).

Yup, bike season is done for me for sure. Doc is telling me no driving for 3 months so I am anticipating with everything that I will need a few months of PT as well (luckily my brother is a PT and can give me stuff to do at home). Was hoping that I might be back in action by the very end of the season and possibly be able to ride in early November but highly doubt that will happen. Definitely changing over to flats when I start riding again, but can't wait to get back out.

I like bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Oh and for those that haven't seen my other posts I busted my leg last weekend while riding in the Wherewolf Memorial Ride in Auburn, Ca. Broke the fib up high and blew out my ankle. Doc says gonna be at least 6-8wks before I do any weight bearing and probably 3 months before I can drive. So 2016 riding season is done for me. Currently have the leg is a splint cast that goes 10" above my knee. Surgery on the ankle set for next Thursday.
    Yikes!!! Healing vibes....

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314