mtbr member
    Nov 2007

New question here. Newbie: recommend a 29er vs Marin Palisades Trail

Bear with me here, I'm new to this stuff.

So some background on what I'm actually asking and my options. I've never mountain biked before but I want to get into it. I work at a sport chalet so I can get the Marin Palisades Trail for $480 through a prodeal normal retail on it is close to $1000. I could get the Marin Pine Mountain 29er for $800 but I that is out of my price range and more than I want to spend on my first mountain bike anyway.

So my real questions are, how great are 29ers really? Is there a 29er someone could recommend that I could pick up for closer to $500 retail? and do you think it would be better than getting the Palisades? Or is my best bet really the Palisades for the money?

Also I do want a mountain bike, but I want it to be decent on the street as well, I've already thought of having a separate pair of street tires for that purpose. What should I look for in a mountain bike that would contribute well to the street as well?

Thanks for any and all help on this decision.

edit: Oh and I am 6'3" about 210lbs
    Last edited by b-wild; 11-07-2007 at 12:32 PM.

workin' it Administrator
    I think that you would be good on either bike. There are plenty of options for street tires for both the 26" and the 29"/700c wheel sizes.

I would look at the specifications for both bikes and base the decision on which comes with the better components for the price.

The 29er ride is amazing but as you are just getting into mountainbiking anything will be amazing.

You may also want to post a inquiry here too:Beginner's Forum. There are sure to be others that have had the same dilemma.

Of course I would be remiss to say that you need a 29er but for you just getting into mountain biking will be a thrill so let your $$$ and heart guide you. You may not regret getting a 29er but you may eventually, of course by then you may be ready to drop more $$$ to get a really pimp one so....
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks for the reply.

But let me restate and consolidate my question a little more. What I ultimately want to know is:

Is there a 29er mountain bike out there in the $500 range that someone would recommend over the Palisades?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    How about a Marin Alpine Trail 29er? That should be in your range after your deal (retails is only $665 which is a damn good deal to start with)... and for a big guy like you, a 29er is the way to go!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Quote Originally Posted by hokeypokey
    How about a Marin Alpine Trail 29er? That should be in your range after your deal (retails is only $665 which is a damn good deal to start with)... and for a big guy like you, a 29er is the way to go!
    ya know i thought of that too, but and only wish i could get that bike. but my deal requires that the bike have a $800 retail price or higher.

is buachail foighneach me
    what other brands does sports-chalet sell? that ep deal you can get on the palisades trail will be impossible to beat unless you can employee purchase a 29er in the same range.