Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

New Wolverine 29 on WTB website

They say the new Wolverine is in. Looks like it may be what I'm looking for.
    http://wtb.com/products/tires/29er/wolverine29er/

My new GT Marathon 9'r came with SB8s and I can tell I need something a bit more aggressive. The only problem with the bike is the pathetic rear tire clearance. I'm considering a Wolverine up front with a Nanoraptor in the back. Does that seem reasonable?

Expert Crasher
    Not knowing where you ride - can't offer an opinion on the Wolverine/Nano pair up - but my experience with the Nano has been great and the Wolverine has some similar characteristics to my favorite - the Maxxis Ardent.

If these are the two tires you're considering - I don't think you could go wrong.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Sorry, just realized more info would be good. I'm in southern Wisconsin, so we get a mix of hard pack, mud, sand, rocks, root. I want something that rolls pretty well, but my local loop is in a sandston quarry, so the one major hill is rocks and sand. From wht i"ve read about the Nano it sounds right on, but was considering someting bigger/more aggressive on the front. For what its worth I put Mutanoraptors on my 26 HT and have been really liking them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Anybody see a production Wolverine 2.2 in the flesh? On bike29.com blog they say it looks as big as the Weirwolf, is this true? Anybody have any measurements on the Flow or Gordo? Shiggy?

mtbr member
    On my 2009 GT Marathon 9er, I got rid of the SB's in favor of the Maxxis Ardents.
    I'm running them tubeless on Mavic wheels. They've proven to be good on my New England
    trails.
    Great bike, by the way.
    Last edited by thecanoe; 10-29-2009 at 05:37 PM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by morandi
    Anybody see a production Wolverine 2.2 in the flesh? On bike29.com blog they say it looks as big as the Weirwolf, is this true? Anybody have any measurements on the Flow or Gordo? Shiggy?
    I saw the Wolverine at interbike. Did not measure it. It is not as large as the WW LT.
    Name:  img_4075x_xsm.jpg
Views: 1556
Size:  15.1 KBName:  img_4093x_xsm.jpg
Views: 1548
Size:  14.0 KB
    I expect it to be a good all-rounder.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr platinum member
    If they perform as terribly as the 26" version, then I wouldn't waste your money. My 26" version was terrible in the corners and would slip out from under you on off camber traversing trails, or any cornering for that matter. Climbing grip was poor too. I originally put it on my wife's bike and she complained about how it was sliding all around compared to her Pythons that I had on her rear wheel previously. Then, I tried it and found what I mentioned above. Your results may vary, but I was not a fan at all.
    I stopped driving my bike into my garage - I'm now protected with Roof Rack Ranger app for my iPhone.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Anybody running a set that can give some feedback?? Would like to hear a size comparison to some other tires for reference.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    I just got a set this week...should have them mounted by early next week on a set of Flows so I can compare to the previous tires I have had on there. How have you guys found the WTB tires to handle tubeless-ness? I understand they are not blessed by the WTB folks for no-tubes use.

It sure has a good coating of rubber in the inner casing of the tire.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy
    I just got a set this week...should have them mounted by early next week on a set of Flows so I can compare to the previous tires I have had on there. How have you guys found the WTB tires to handle tubeless-ness? I understand they are not blessed by the WTB folks for no-tubes use.

It sure has a good coating of rubber in the inner casing of the tire.
    I'm letting my WW LT set right now....

Had good luck with a Mutano Raptor, Timberwolf, and the uhhh one other raptor. The beads seemed to be a decent fit on Mavic UST rims, hard than a Nevegal or Minion (thats a good thing), but way way easier than a Specialized 2bliss ready or panaracer.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    All mounted up. I put tubes in there for now. Not sure if I will try them sans tubes or not. the WTB party line is 'say no to tubeless' but that has been true of many other successful DIY conversions to tubeless and it has not stopped folks from doing it anyway, so we shall see. I do notice that, compaed to the Captain Controls and the Conti Mtn Kings, the WTB tire has a much rounder, less pronounced bead. That concerns me a bit, but maybe it is not a big deal.

The pics are right after mounting on the Flows sitting at 30 lbs or so. They have a nice profile, kinda in the middle of round vs. square. They have a lot of rubber coating in the inner wall. They sure look like they would not weep sealant at all. I measured them at 2.14" wide right after installation.

I am told that these samples are running heavier than they are supposed to, so the weight...830grams...is being investigated. The combo of tubes and the heavier tire added 11 ounces to the front wheel compared to the Race Kings tubeless....OUCH. It looks like a good dry conditions tire.

There is not much room in the CS yoke of the Lenz to begin with, so tightish fit makes the tire look kinda big.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Wolverine 29 on WTB website-pb190128.jpg  

New Wolverine 29 on WTB website-pb190125.jpg  

New Wolverine 29 on WTB website-pb190127.jpg  

New Wolverine 29 on WTB website-pb190129.jpg  

New Wolverine 29 on WTB website-pb190133.jpg  

New Wolverine 29 on WTB website-pb190131.jpg  

Blog Ramblings

mtbr member
    May 2005

Disappointed in the weight

Of the 4 wolverine 29er race tires I received all were at least 860 grams - 210 grams heavier than QBP's posted weight (dont blame QBP though). WTB actually lists them at 700 grams. When looking for a fast rolling, high volume XC tire, riders like me take weight into consideration. While expect some fluctuation, I don't expect this much. These would have to be excellent performers to get over the obese weight.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pktrekguy
    Of the 4 wolverine 29er race tires I received all were at least 860 grams - 210 grams heavier than QBP's posted weight (dont blame QBP though). WTB actually lists them at 700 grams. When looking for a fast rolling, high volume XC tire, riders like me take weight into consideration. While expect some fluctuation, I don't expect this much. These would have to be excellent performers to get over the obese weight.
    I agree. But, give them some time to see why they are so porky, I know it is being looked into. I would expect this tire to be much closer to the Captain Controls which were around 720-740 grams I believe.

Meanwhile, I will ride them and see how they work for my area.
    Blog Ramblings

MoJo Moto
    Well rode on a set yesterday......

Had the Rampage front and back on my RIP...they were fine on our "real" trails(rock and a few more rocks). But when the boss calls a lunch ride, we go to a some what easier place that is smooth dirt. There the Rampages seemed real slow, as did the Kenda Navies on my little wheeled bike. So I wanted something that did not make me fell like the neigborhood fat kid when chasing the boss.

So...this week I mounted a set of Wolverines for the lunch ride. I was worried that they would look small compaired to the Rampage, but not really. So on the hard dirt trails the WTB's rolled real well. Seemed to turn fine too. I really can tell the difference in rolling resistance, even just pushing the bike out to load in to my van.

OK...they passed the "Walnut Creek" test...I surly did have a better ride and posted my highest average speed yet. That of course may have been from following my boss.

Later, I'll get to try them on our "real" trails...hope they do as well, we'll see. But so far so good. They work great for what I wanted them for.

tootles..

moto.
    Ride Hard or Ride Home Alone.

mtbr member
    WC?
    you must be in Austin...
    Cody showed me the Wolverine the other day at the shop
    interested to hear how they work on "real" trails

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by morandi
    Saw these at LBS yesterday and while they look nice, I'm skeptical of their cornering ability. They didn't have a WW to compare to and they were not mounted on anything either. Look and sound interesting though.

Mtroy, thanks for all the great pics!
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

MoJo Moto
    Charles....I got them from Cody. He had 3....I took 2 of them.

Still trying to get your roofer... Trey to do my house. You have pull with him?

moto.
    Ride Hard or Ride Home Alone.

jmw
    mtbr member
    Looks like a more meaty tread version of the Exiwolf....
    future nature

mtbr member
    I just mounted a Wolverine on a Stan's Flow rim with Stan's sealant. The bead went on easily, the tire aired up quickly with a compressor, and there was very little leakage of sealant. Overall, mounting the Wolverine was quick and easy. Time will tell how the tire performs here in the SF Bay Area but my initial impression is that it is a bit meatier version of the Geax Saguaro that it replaced (another tire I really like).

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    I only had time for a quick spin tonite and I hope to have several hours of riding this weekend, work permitting. But...I have to get some weight off the wheels. 11 ounces is a big jump in weight. Tubeless sounds real good right now.

But, besides that, the thing that stood out was the cornering and braking traction on hardpack. Pretty darn impressive. There are a lot of little edges working to get down through the kitty litter/sand and get into terra more firma. I wonder if this would not be a killer desert tire?

I bet a faster rolling rear tire and a Wolverine front may be the best combo. I hope that they can trim a bit of weight off the tire, but if not, it seems that all those grams have to be hiding in thicker rubber. May be good as is for tougher terrain than I have.

It seems that other folks have been running WTB tires tubeless with good results?
    Blog Ramblings

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by pktrekguy

Actually, if you check the WTB website, they claim 800g for the 29 x 2.2. So your actualy tires are not nearly as bloated as you would think.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Mtroy, Do you have a width measurement?
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

29 some of the time...
    WTB IMO is doing quite well on the construction of the new tires. Yes, they are a bit heavy. But that makes them perfect tires for tubeless conversion. So long as the beads are holding up I see no reason this would be any different than the Mutano and Prowler tires that I have run without tubes. 650g 29er tires do not huld up well to running tubeless under a 240lb rider in the rocky SE I will take the extra 150-200g and ride off into the sunset without the sidewall tears, thank you.

From the looks and description the Wolverine appears to be another jack of all tire. Seriously wet to dry and loose to rough Any tire that does that rolls pretty slow and all indications are this rolls well, so... Sounds like a marketing spiel to try to broaden the appeal of an otherwise average tire. But who am I to second guess. There are a ton of people who rail on Hutchinson Pythons and I could never find confidence on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz
    Mtroy, Do you have a width measurement?
    2.14" casing width (wider than knobs) on a Flow with tubes @30lbs, just after mounting them up.
    Blog Ramblings

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AL29er
    WTB IMO is doing quite well on the construction of the new tires. Yes, they are a bit heavy. But that makes them perfect tires for tubeless conversion. So long as the beads are holding up I see no reason this would be any different than the Mutano and Prowler tires that I have run without tubes. 650g 29er tires do not huld up well to running tubeless under a 240lb rider in the rocky SE I will take the extra 150-200g and ride off into the sunset without the sidewall tears, thank you.

From the looks and description the Wolverine appears to be another jack of all tire. Seriously wet to dry and loose to rough Any tire that does that rolls pretty slow and all indications are this rolls well, so... Sounds like a marketing spiel to try to broaden the appeal of an otherwise average tire. But who am I to second guess. There are a ton of people who rail on Hutchinson Pythons and I could never find confidence on them.
    I do like the rubber coating inside. It reminds me of the Specialized 2-Bliss tires. I would not say that is is slow rolling exactly, but rather the extra weight in the heavier tire/tube combo made for a slow accelerating wheel.

It seemed to roll pretty well as far as pavement was concerned.

If I sat and climbed rough trails instead of standing and climbing smoother fireroads, I think I would notice this extra rolling weight less. Today will be more trail time, so I will find out more. As soon as I restock some Caffe Latex I will try them tubeless.
    Blog Ramblings

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast