Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Hope New to the wagon wheel club...need big rubber

Name:  p1pb9237913.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  12.3 KB

Here's the new pony in the stable; 2010 Intense Tracer XL / Reba dual air 140mm fork w/20mm maxle.
    Built up today with XT M770 drivetrain. Wheels are Staytru?? Never heard of them (but that's what I have now)

So I'm giving this 29er thing a go! At 225lbs. 6ft 2in with a 36 inch inseam I've felt out of proportion with my past rides. Although I'm keeping my '07 Yeti 575 just in case

Looking forward to re-learning to ride with the larger hoops. I purchased 2.4 Continental Mountain Kings and mounted them today, but they are pretty narrow for my liking. Actually ok for the back, but I need more girth in the front. Ran Maxxis Minions and High Rollers in 2.5 casings on my 26er, looking at Maxxis Ardent 2.4's...Any other suggestions out there?

Biking Like Crazy!
    Take a look at Schwalbe's Hans Dampf. It's says it's a 2.35 but it's massive and tubeless ready.
    Get the TrailStar compound if using it on the front.

My 2c.
    Niner Rip9 RDO
    Niner RIP9
    Niner WFO 650B
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Podium

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Maxxis Ardent 2.4
    or
    Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35" Trailstar
    or
    Kenda 2.35 Nevs

Conti always run small....

mtbr member
    Yep I feel the same, want more beef up front...Ardent 2.4 and WTB WW 2.55 some of the bigger tires I've run. I've been wanting to try the HD, not cheap..

mtbr member

New to the wagon wheel club...need big rubber

I've used the Ardent, Rampage, Nobby Nic, Hans Dampf, and Nevegals. The HD is by far the best, with the NN in 2nd. Usually pricey, but can be had for $60 here:

http://www.ebikestop.com/schwalbe_ha...ail-TR4915.php

Buy from there or have CC price match and ship free...
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    As others have said the Hans Dampf is a solid option. Ardents are ok, not as good at cornering in my experience. Nobby Nics are also ok. This is all fairly terrain dependent though...

I'm told that Maxxis are going to make Minions and HR2's for 29ers, they should be available soon. It's going to be interesting to try those. Minions are my favourite 26" tyre (at least for fun riding) but the Hans Dampf is pretty good.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    At two or three inches taller than the OP and a fair bit heavier, one of the first pleasant surprises for me with regard to 29" wheels, was that I found I didn't need quite so prodigious knobbage as I did with 26" wheels. I went from 2.5" Nevegal front tires to 2.2" and 2.3" front tires that rolled much better, and became faster in the process. I also went from 2.3" - 2.4" rear tires to 2.1" and 2.2" rear tires.

You may still end up wanting to roll with something like the Hans Dampf, or Maxxis has recently announced 29" versions of the Minion and High Roller II. But I would suggest keeping an open mind about what may or may not work on 29" wheels as your experience with similar 26" tires may be different from what the same tread will provide on your new 29er.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    At two or three inches taller than the OP and a fair bit heavier, one of the first pleasant surprises for me with regard to 29" wheels, was that I found I didn't need quite so prodigious knobbage as I did with 26" wheels. I went from 2.5" Nevegal front tires to 2.2" and 2.3" front tires that rolled much better, and became faster in the process. I also went from 2.3" - 2.4" rear tires to 2.1" and 2.2" rear tires.

You may still end up wanting to roll with something like the Hans Dampf, or Maxxis has recently announced 29" versions of the Minion and High Roller II. But I would suggest keeping an open mind about what may or may not work on 29" wheels as your experience with similar 26" tires may be different from what the same tread will provide on your new 29er.
    +1, Your 29er does not need the 2.5's. Air volume is much better on the 29 and your footprint is larger with a 2.2, then a 26er 2.5. Remember that your 29er is not a DH bike. You might pull off an AM setup but unless you have the 2014 Enduro from Spec, XC and light AM is all you can ask at your weight. If you do find a 2.5 to fit your fork take some pix, I would like to see that.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Surly Knard if they'll fit.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Schwalbe or Kenda...

MTB B'dos
    Jeff and Miller both speak the truth, before you go writing off the Mtn Kings just for their size give them a shot, you most likely will be surprised at the grip the longer contact patch the 29er has does to a tyres gripability (trademark of that word pending ) Seriously, you have suspension F&R, they should work well for you. Lots of recommendations for the Hnas Dampf, but one little bit of caution, if by chance like me you live where there's loads of sharp coral, don't get them they'll be toast in no time at all, knobs will just start to shear/rip off.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Maxxis has some phatter 29er tires coming out this year (think Minion derivatives), I'm looking forward to them quite a bit.

I've only a couple rides on the Hans Dampf but like it a lot so far. Would also consider the 2.35 sized Nobby Nic Snakskin as a possibility too.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Great replies and opinions....Pretty sure I'll want to try the HD or The Ardent, but super excited to hear about the newer addition to Maxxis' lineup with Minions and HR II's.

I am waiting on the brakes to arrive so I can finish the build, but I will try the Conti's since they are mounted. I will give a report back on them but just saying it looks wrong already. Most likely I will keep the front and use as a spare rear!

I never described the trail conditions here in North Texas, but it is varied. ( rocky, root infested, hard packed, sandy loose over hard, sharp limestone creek bottom ledges, cactus, furry rodents and armor plated armadillos)... I have seen everything used, and have used many different tires. Conditions do vary from trail to trail, but for where I ride consistently it encompasses all the aforementioned elements. After experiencing failures on weaker more anemic models, I have been much happier with a stronger larger even dh casing tire.

Case in point, I went out yesterday and possibly suffered a career ending blow to my beloved Yeti on one of the many rocky downhill sections. The front tire kicked up a brick sized rock (as has happened many times before ) but this hit higher up the downtube where the material is thinner and left a 2 - 2.5 inch dent so bad it creased the tube outer edge. Will have to have it checked out. I'll probably post this with pics in the Yeti site.

Thanks again for the responses. Also scvkurt03, appreciate the heads up on the price match, will look into it.

MTB B'dos
    Can only give feedback on the HR2, but my experience with the proto is that it's a great all around tyre and the EXO casing has stood up well for over a years use off and on on our coral rocks. Think there'll be a few different compound options, not sure and I think the size is 2.3". Passed on the DHF as it was just too much of a beast to me for what I ride, but I'm guessing you'll like it. Check out Bholwells post in the Banshee forum on the Prime Production thread, he has photos of the DHF on his Prime.

Quote Originally Posted by keithrad View Post
    Great replies and opinions....Pretty sure I'll want to try the HD or The Ardent, but super excited to hear about the newer addition to Maxxis' lineup with Minions and HR II's.

I am waiting on the brakes to arrive so I can finish the build, but I will try the Conti's since they are mounted. I will give a report back on them but just saying it looks wrong already. Most likely I will keep the front and use as a spare rear!

I never described the trail conditions here in North Texas, but it is varied. ( rocky, root infested, hard packed, sandy loose over hard, sharp limestone creek bottom ledges, cactus, furry rodents and armor plated armadillos)... I have seen everything used, and have used many different tires. Conditions do vary from trail to trail, but for where I ride consistently it encompasses all the aforementioned elements. After experiencing failures on weaker more anemic models, I have been much happier with a stronger larger even dh casing tire..
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Big Rubber

Name:  Trojan_Magnum_Condoms_Wrapper.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  61.0 KB

TR
    Angry bunny
    Will depend on your trail conditions but I found the Ardent awful up front.
    Hans Dampf is great but I want to try the Geax Sturdy.
    Loved it as a 26 and it looks every bit as aggressive as the HD.

Does not seem to get much love here though.

MTB B'dos
    I'm on the same page as you with regards to the Ardent, one of the few Maxxis tyres I do not like, at least not upfront, great volume though. I'd love to give a Sturdy a try, but you can't find them anywhere to buy easily. Also was some talk that the compound was hard as hell and offered not much grip, unlike the Dampf, who's compound seem smaybe too soft if you've got jagged coralstone rocks to deal with.
    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Will depend on your trail conditions but I found the Ardent awful up front.
    Hans Dampf is great but I want to try the Geax Sturdy.
    Loved it as a 26 and it looks every bit as aggressive as the HD.

Does not seem to get much love here though.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    just got a set of geax sturdy's on my bike but haven't had the chance to get much riding in but so far so good. I had Geax mezcals on which are totally the other direction. Mezcals are small knobbed and pretty light, the sturdy are heavy as hell but have some pretty meaty knobs on them. They are 2.3 but they seem to be pretty damn big, there is barely clearance in the rear of my yelli screamy with them.

I hope the sturdy proves to be a good tire because I was also able to find it much cheaper than the other options like $70 for the pair of them shipped to me.

MTB B'dos
    So, why not share a link for those Sturdy's? ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    just got a set of geax sturdy's on my bike but haven't had the chance to get much riding in but so far so good. I had Geax mezcals on which are totally the other direction. Mezcals are small knobbed and pretty light, the sturdy are heavy as hell but have some pretty meaty knobs on them. They are 2.3 but they seem to be pretty damn big, there is barely clearance in the rear of my yelli screamy with them.

I hope the sturdy proves to be a good tire because I was also able to find it much cheaper than the other options like $70 for the pair of them shipped to me.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: New to the wagon wheel club...need big rubber

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    So, why not share a link for those Sturdy's? ;-)
    Think I got them from bikemans eBay site. Search Vittoria sturdy instead of geax sturdy. I distinctly remember them.being listed that way

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: New to the wagon wheel club...need big rubber

I checked. Got them from bikewagon s eBay site. They were probably clearance, I wonder if geax is going to come out with a bunch of new tires Cruz it seems.like they aren't very popular right now

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'm a 5' 10" 185 lb. rider in Utah, so plenty of hard pack, rocks, and loose dirt. I replaced a Panaracer Rampage 2.35 with an Ardent 2.4 up front and have been very happy with the improvement. Faster rolling, better braking, and much more lateral grip. All the talk about how much better other tires are has got me thinking I'm missing out!

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    I'll echo the Schwalbe's Hans Dampf comments....guy around here rides them, they're like freaking monster truck tires.
    Climbing Builds Character

TR
    Angry bunny

MTB B'dos
    Thanks TR. I got a guy coming in from Scotland next month, may ask him if he could bring one of these down for me
    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast