never ender

New Truvativ 180mm triple crank

FYI...for those of you who are into this kind of thing, it looks like Truvativ is releasing a 180mm version of the Stylo triple for 2009. Pretty affordable too. For the last couple of years it seemed like the only 180mm cranks out there were SS without granny mounts, or higher-end Shimano and Raceface. Nice to know there's a budget alternative now. I've been combing fleabay and craigslist for the last couple of weeks looking for some old 180mm Turbine arms, but I think I'll snag a pair of these instead.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Is there any discernible difference using cranks 5mm longer? Glad to have longer ones out there but wishing for 185 or 190

never ender
    Quote Originally Posted by esXso
    Is there any discernible difference using cranks 5mm longer? Glad to have longer ones out there but wishing for 185 or 190
    It's slight but noticeable. I'm 6'5" and I'd actually go longer if I had choices beyond road cranks or boat anchor Profiles. 180 is an okay compromise between weight, leverage, and ground clearance, though.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by fat_weasel
    FYI...for those of you who are into this kind of thing, it looks like Truvativ is releasing a 180mm version of the Stylo triple for 2009. Pretty affordable too. For the last couple of years it seemed like the only 180mm cranks out there were SS without granny mounts, or higher-end Shimano and Raceface. Nice to know there's a budget alternative now. I've been combing fleabay and craigslist for the last couple of weeks looking for some old 180mm Turbine arms, but I think I'll snag a pair of these instead.
    Don't forget Middleburn. They come in 180mm as well. Duo is selling for $211 and the Triple for $277 at ChainreationCycles.com right now (thanks to the dollar over the pound conversion rate). Not high end price, not low end price - but more middle end pricing.

I just bought some 180mm Turbines and will either polish them myself or have them sandblasted and powder coated (or anodized) for my new JET 9.

BB

Harmonius Wrench
    FYI: SRAM has said for two years running that all their XC cranks were available in 180mm lengths, but they seem to be vaporware. Hmm.....maybe this time they mean it.

never ender
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    FYI: SRAM has said for two years running that all their XC cranks were available in 180mm lengths, but they seem to be vaporware. Hmm.....maybe this time they mean it.
    Too true, but these are listed as in stock at Speedgoat and Universal Cycles. I know a few of the Truvativ guys, maybe they've actually been listening to my griping.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

They are in stock at Quality BP.

mtbr member
    FYI - Surly Whirlys are available in 185mm....
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

Cassoulet forever !
    hscycle make custom cranks up to 200mm
    specialized/lightning carbon are available up to 190mm
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

Recovering couch patato
    www.customcranks.de makes up to 220mm I think. Custom colors.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Expert Crasher
    Now we need the NOIR in 180
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    Now we need the NOIR in 180
    Well, that's what I am talking about. SRAM claims it is already available in 180. They have for two years now. I did see 180mm Noir SS cranks somewhere once online and thought that remarkable. Otherwise the existence of these must be a well kept secret!

mtbr member
    I haven't looked in awhile, but does Shimano still make 180's? I have a pair of 180 XT's I love.

Interlectchewal
    Quote Originally Posted by toddre
    I haven't looked in awhile, but does Shimano still make 180's? I have a pair of 180 XT's I love.
    XTs and XTRs are available in 180mm.

Expert Crasher
    Well, that's what I am talking about. SRAM claims it is already available in 180. They have for two years now. I did see 180mm Noir SS cranks somewhere once online and thought that remarkable. Otherwise the existence of these must be a well kept secret!
    Right Top Secret I say.

I did some searching a while back for something a bit lighter than my RF Turbines (which aren't that heavy) b/c I want the Turbines on my KM (35T SS Surly ring in 110 BCD - it's on my Christmas list).

No luck...maybe I'll go do a sit-in at the SRAM office in Colorado Springs.....
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin