mtbr member

New Stumpy 29er with brake issues

Hey guys, I recently bought a brand-new StumpJumper 29er FSR Comp. (Alum) frame.
    I love the bike. However one weakness appears to be the brakes/ brake system.
    The bike came with "Elixer 5 RSL".
    I tried to be carefull to break-in the brakes carefully by not overheating them on the first few rides etc.
    Now with about 400mi on it, I have to pump the levers a few times to get any good brake action.
    Also, since new, the brakes sound like a cross between a New York subway in the rain, and my dentist
    drilling out another tooth.
    Any ideas on what I can or should do?
    BS.

NedwannaB
    Switch to XT's. Well that's what I see posted a lot anyway. I picked up some Elixir CR's from a buddy let's say they won't be on too long if I don't get them to quiet down.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Re: New Stumpy 29er with brake issues

I've got the 7's on mine, and was ready to toss them for the same reason and go to xt's. But then i bought a bleed kit and gave them a proper bleeding, and have to say they now rock!

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Take it back to the shop you bought the bike from and get them to sort it out.

mtbr member
    Funny thing is that my son's RH comp (2012) has the 1's on it and they are not too bad. I have XT on my bike and they rock but those 1's are better then the stock M446 that came on my carve. Try a bleed from the LBS (free) and see if it helps.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    bleed and organic pads if they are not already in them

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You can replace them with SLX at 80 a wheel from Bluesky. These are the same as XTs.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    You can replace them with SLX at 80 a wheel from Bluesky. These are the same as XTs.
    This is not true. I just did this. The rear cable is 1400 mm and is too short for my medium fsr 29. You need about 1610mm. The new cable cost 46 to54 per cable for the 1700 mm long. I need the shop to bleed and trim new cable. End up costing about another 100 bucks. Bluesky charge sale tax and that end up being more.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I had Elixer 9's and that same thing was happening, bike shop bled them 2x, and they were no better. Avid Warrantied them with XX brakes. Despite the cooler carbon levers the brakes were just as bad. My shop called Avid, the Warrantied them with XT Brakes... The XT's are way better in my experience.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Ya I picked my SJ FSR 29 up about a month and a half ago brand new, having similar issues with around 200 miles on it.

I honestly hate these brakes, and from the reviews knew I would going into it. I'm looking at switching to Shimano XT or similar. Even if bleeding yields a better feel the noise and shudder will still be atrocious.