mtbr member
    Feb 2018

New Scott Genius and considering new wheels

I recently purchased a new Scott Genius 900 tuned. Really like the bike, though I am suspect of the stock wheelset and am thinking a set of Nox, or comparable based wheels would be a great upgrade. Anyone done similar?
    Btw..I have a set of Nox wheels with 240s and Sapim spokes on my cross country bike and like them.

WillWorkForTrail
    Why are you suspect of the stock wheels?

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Fair question. I suspect the wheels are mid grade, e.g. aluminum hoop. Not a lot of information out there on the stock wheels. I have had others tell me anecdotaly that the wheels are heavy and the hubs are mid quality. Nothing specific, but enough to get me to start asking questions. Do you have an opinion on the stock wheels? DT M1825.

mtbr member
    sounds like a nice upgrade. the stock wheels are probably fine, but if you have money burning a hole in your pocket, go for it.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The max inner width in 29 DT is listing is 30mm. If your terrain, speed and riding style dictate it there are wider rim/tire combos you can try. 35mm for Bonty XR2 or 4 Team 2.35s 40mm for 2.6. Those tires are high volume with a designed rounder tread pattern. You can run lower pressure for a bigger more trail surface conforming footprint.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    If you like NOX, might be worth checking out We Are One Composite wheels. Their price is amazing considering the quality and they back up their products. There's a great thread on them in the Wheels and Tires form.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfisher11 View Post
    If you like NOX, might be worth checking out We Are One Composite wheels. Their price is amazing considering the quality and they back up their products. There's a great thread on them in the Wheels and Tires form.
    Thanks for the tip. I am intrigued. Fit and finish look to be top notch. This bike is pretty sweet, but I know when I put trick wheels on my xc bike it was a huge improvement. I think the same will hold with the Genius.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    The max inner width in 29 DT is listing is 30mm. If your terrain, speed and riding style dictate it there are wider rim/tire combos you can try. 35mm for Bonty XR2 or 4 Team 2.35s 40mm for 2.6. Those tires are high volume with a designed rounder tread pattern. You can run lower pressure for a bigger more trail surface conforming footprint.
    that is what I am thinking a bit wider, stiffer, lighter wheels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistedkstr View Post
    that is what I am thinking a bit wider, stiffer, lighter wheels.
    If you're thinking that you should consider building your own wheels.
    Chinese carbon from Carbonfan are another supplier with DT 350 or 240 j spoke hubs, Sapim Laser spokes and Sapim Polyax brass nipples with washers is a good priced option. The rims are stiff enough so that lacing and truing the wheel is easy. Even for a first set. Watch videos and check out this site from Mike. Wheels

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    the wheels that came on my Genius were trash. They didn't last 6 months before they were so out of round that the shop couldn't get them back in good condition. Swapped them our for some Stans Flow wheels and noticed an immediate change in how the bike rode, so much more confident and stable through hard turns and burms. I'm a big dude, so i"m guessing that had something to do with it, but upgraded wheels are usually worth it. New bikes almost never come with a really good set of wheels

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogeron View Post
    the wheels that came on my Genius were trash. They didn't last 6 months before they were so out of round that the shop couldn't get them back in good condition. Swapped them our for some Stans Flow wheels and noticed an immediate change in how the bike rode, so much more confident and stable through hard turns and burms. I'm a big dude, so i"m guessing that had something to do with it, but upgraded wheels are usually worth it. New bikes almost never come with a really good set of wheels
    Makes me second guess my demo. I didnít like the bike because it felt vague. Maybe it was just the wheels.