mtbr member

new reba fork on a carve

i just change the stock fork on my carve comp for a rock shox reba dual air, and the bike can go downhill much better, the fork comes from out of the box at 100mm but i read that you can take the spacer thats inside the fork and go up 120mm, if i go 120mm the bike is gona feel better goin down? i now 120mm for a 29er is like 160mm on a 26er, i just whant that the bike can be more agressive in the downhills and some jumps, kind of my stumpjumper fsr 26er, what do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new reba fork on a carve-005.jpg  

new reba fork on a carve-010.jpg  

new reba fork on a carve-012.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brunomu View Post
    i know 120mm for a 29er is like 160mm on a 26er,
    Not quite.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Not quite on topic, but how do you like that Carve. I've not heard many people speak about them as they've just come out, atleast from a user's perspective.

It may be my next bike.
    Last edited by SuPrBuGmAn; 11-16-2011 at 11:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    if the bike was specd with a 100mm fork, then i would keep the Reba at 100mm, handling may get funny if you go up to 120mm.

i have had that same fork for over a year now and it's been great!

empty beer member
    By looking at your pics it doesn't look like you are using all the travel anyway.

Trail Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by WrecklessREX View Post
    By looking at your pics it doesn't look like you are using all the travel anyway.
    Isn't it better to have the travel and not always use it, than not having the travel and needing it?

Much of "using all the travel" is setup, if you set it up more plush, it will use more travel, but you start running into situations of brake dive. Max travel is for bigger hits..that may not always be happening.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Misfit diSSent

Fut. Bikes:
    Banshee Phantom

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    It's interesting that I could not find one hardtail 29er on the Specialized website that uses a front fork with more than 90mm of travel. Must be the steeper head tube angle (71.5 degrees) on Specialized's 29ers that has them using shorter-travel front forks.

The Trek and Scott 29ers have head tube angles at roughly 69.5 degrees, 2 degrees slacker than Specialized.

But back to your question - if the Reba you bought is spec'd at 100mm of travel, I don't think I would push it to 120.
    2012 Scott Scale 29 Elite

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I took the spacers out of the Tora 318 on my rockhopper to increase travel from 80 to 100mm. Better on the descents, but threw off the weight balance on climbs, front end kept on coming up on me. It took some playing around with the stem and spacer stack to get the handlebar back to a height that was comfortable and controllable on ascents. Also keep in mind increasing the fork travel will void the frame warranty.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by holymoly View Post
    keep in mind increasing the fork travel will void the frame warranty.
    not likely

yeah and I don't know what all the hate is about the 120mm expansion but there is a little space in there you take out. Search on the forums or look for a reba service manual and it will become apparent.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    If you can add 40mm HT height comfortably, you probably have the wrong size frame. If you like a slack geometry, you probably bought the wrong bike.

Not saying it won't work, it may and it won't hurt to try.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by holymoly View Post
    I took the spacers out of the Tora 318 on my rockhopper to increase travel from 80 to 100mm. Better on the descents, but threw off the weight balance on climbs, front end kept on coming up on me. It took some playing around with the stem and spacer stack to get the handlebar back to a height that was comfortable and controllable on ascents. Also keep in mind increasing the fork travel will void the frame warranty.
    So removing the spacer increased the height of the fork in addition to the travel? I was planning on removing a spacer in the suntour xcr on my rockhopper to get to 100mm, but I don't want to change the geometry.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I have a Carve Pro - all Carve models are specced with 80mm travel forks - I believe 100mm would be ideal.
    I wouldn't go to 120mm travel fork on your bike.
    Maybe 110 - you'd have to try it and see.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by givemefive View Post
    not likely
    According to Specializes warranty, increasing fork travel by over/under 10% voids warranty.

mtbr member
    Try it out and see if you like it. The travel change is pretty simple and reversible.

Never trust a fart
    Travel change requires a full dis-assembly of the fork to access the spacer on the air side. So make sure to get the 5wt oil and 15 wt oil before diving into the fork.

Following the instructions on SRAM's website in the service area should take you about 45 mins if you take your time.

Also, increasing the the travel from 100mm to 120mm will slacken the head tube by approx 1.4 degrees. (.7 degrees for ever 10mm of travel)

Also, as mentioned before, descending will be much better, but climbing will be affected. You will need to play with handlebar height and position, so a new stem/handlebar might have to come into play as well.

Something to keep in mind when trying to figure out the actual total cost of doing a travel increase/decrease.

It could possibly not be a "free" modification.

mtbr member
    i just pick up the bike from the shop and they take the spacer off from the fork, now the fork have the whole travel 120mm im gona ride today and see whats happend and how it feels.

Trail Junkie
    I would guess that it would feel better..probably descend better, and allow to "carve" more in the corners without the front tire feeling like its going to wash out underneith you! Enjoy!!
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Misfit diSSent

Fut. Bikes:
    Banshee Phantom

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuPrBuGmAn View Post
    Not quite on topic, but how do you like that Carve. I've not heard many people speak about them as they've just come out, atleast from a user's perspective.

It may be my next bike.
    hi, well this is my first 29er my expirience is whit long travel full suspension bikes, but i like the feel of the 29er bike, it feels solid and very stable the big tires are good in some situations like goin down and find rocks and holes no problem they get out of your way, a big tree log, no problem you are goin to ride over it,but im not sold on the 29er thing the bike climbs very good but in very step uphills sometimes i feel harder to climb whit a 29er than whit my all mountain bike, you can't ease the pace on a 29er goin up, if you losse the momentum is harder to move the bike again, well i gess this is for all 29er, but talking of the carve i have the comp and the stock fork is very bad, if you can buy one of the next two models only because they come whit a better fork whit air and no coil you are good, also the grips are bad change them and thats it, for a hardtail the bike is exellent i recomend this bike to anyone,i use this bike for long road rides to, and it really goes fast on road , is like a heavy road bike, good luck
    Last edited by brunomu; 11-18-2011 at 09:36 AM.

mtbr member
    i try the carve whit the fork whit 120mm and feels much more better on the downhills and jumps, climbing was the same i donīt even notice the 20mm increase,but goin down is amazing what 20mm more can do on a bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Hi guys,

Sorry for refreshing a old topic but have thae same issue but with fox .
    I get from shop with Fox CTD 100mm, but after few last forest trips founded tha tmaybe will be better with 120mm.
    Hope You have now mre experinece with that 120mm?
    How it is?

mtbr member
    I have a reba up to 120mm on my carve and i try it at 100mm and i like it better at 120mm whit more sag, the bike feels more stable in the downhills sections and climbing is not much different you just have to move forward in very steep climbing sections but thats it i really like how this bike feels at 120mm, and because is a hardtail is better to have a little more sag in the front whit the suspension up to 120mm you can ride more time whit out feeling tired,good luck. One more thing i recomend if you increase the travel , move your stem all the way down put the spacer on top this will help in the climbing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Thanks , so some changes before spring

1.Crank frm 2x10 to 1x10 or 1x11 xx1 ( 1x11) but I think doesnt matter because front dont konw what is on the back :-) with cassete XT and One up set for it.

2.Fork with 120 travel- FOX or RS- currently FOX CTD 32 EVO

3. brakes from Avid elixir 5 to XT or ZEE