Thread: New race bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

New race bike

Just starting to do some stage races. Did a 3 day last season on my Intense Spider 29 Comp. It was great but am looking at replacing it with something more XC race oriented. Looking at:

Rocky Mountain Element
    Trek Superfly FS
    Santacruz Tallboy
    Pivot Mach 429 SL

Going to go 1x drivetrain and carbon wheels. The Rocky annoys me that the builds go from XT to Di2 (which doubles the price).
    Anyone out there with real word experience with these bikes?
    Thanks in advance

Formerly of Kent
    Personally, I'd buy a frame, or maybe a cheaper complete build with the frame you want, and either buy your own parts with the former, or upgrade select parts with the latter.

The only complete MTB was my first, a GF Paragon. I've had four since then, and all of them were custom builds. eBay, Amazon, German webshops, etc. were all my friend. Full XX1/XTR bike for less than half of what I'd pay retail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I am wanting to support my LBS and enjoy their awesome service. I do not want the hassle of parts from all over the place. Also that was not my question but thanks for your input.

mtbr member
    I say Trek SF Carbon all XT set up 1x but I am biased...New race bike-blankets1.jpg

Formerly of Kent
    our OP complained about the fact that going from XT to Di2 doubles the price.

I provided a way to get XTR Di2 for XT prices, or less.

Have it your way.

I've been on the Trek and the Santa Cruz. They were both great bikes. They were about a year apart, so I can't make a good comparison.

The Rocky looks like a great bike, but has the steepest HTA of any of the bikes listed. I'd probably run a 110mm or 120mm fork to try to balance that out. A comparable bike, in terms of linkage and suspension, is the Scott Spark 900 series, which, in my opinion, has a MUCH nicer HTA, particularly for endurance racing. Great handling bikes. They did their research.

I've heard great things about Pivot, but I can't get past the looks. And their prices are absolutely outlandish. $3k for frame and shock alone? Not a chance. I'd have to get it at cost.