mtbr member
    Jul 2014

New/Old Stock - Flash 29er Carbon Build Thread

Hey guys, I have been on here many years but it has been about 2 years since I have been active. I did my best to recover the old username but just had to make a new one in the end. I sold my Fuel EX 8 about a year and a half ago and havenít really ridden much since. I still have a voodoo sobo rigid, and a giant defy road bike. I am fortunate to live in a city with amazing bicycle support both paved and off-road. I just couldnít stop the urge any longer to have a front suspension 29er bike so this week I pulled the trigger on some parts.

After deciding I wanted a lefty and leaving the bike store disappointed with what one could purchase with 3k in their pocket, I decided a build was my only choice to get what I wanted within budget. I wanted new, but I also knew it didnít have to be the absolute latest and greatest. My beginning budget was $2800, but I have blown that out of the water a little (now at $3600 with everything). It started when I found a new 2011 flash 29er carbon frame on a popular auction site for $830. After that I found a 2012 lefty fork on BW for $699 and the build was on.
    Currently all parts have been ordered, just waiting for them to arrive to start posting build photos. I wanted to post this to compare what I spent searching for parts online vs what you can buy in the bike store. I think I came out on top in the end, but I did spend more than I originally intended. Most of that was because of the fact it is a Cannondale Lefty.

Current Build Spec (all parts new in box):

Frame Ė 2011 Cannondale FLASH 29ER medium (white/black)
    Fork Ė 2012 Lefty PBR
    Wheel set Ė Pro Wheel Builder Stanís Arch EX rims with Sapim Race spokes DT Swiss 350 hub/ Cannondale Lefty front hub
    Seat post Ė Cannondale Flash SAVE Seat post
    Drivetrain:
    Sram x9 (white) crankset 39/26, rear derailleur long cage.
    Sram XO front derailleur s3 bottom pull
    Sram PG-1070 11-36 cassette
    KMC x10SL chain
    Cockpit:
    Cannondale OPI SI v2 stem/steerer/headset 90mm -5 degree
    Sram x9 shifters 2x10
    Shimano Deore XT Brakes with Magura rotors 160mm
    Easton Haven Carbon Bar 711mm
    ODI Rogue grips

Misc:
    Maxxis Ikon rubber 2.2 x 29 tubeless
    Maxxis Welter Weight tubes (just in case)
    Stanís sealer
    Stanís presta valve
    Stanís Rim Tape
    Jagwire cable kit
    Wellgo FG-1 pedals (donít laugh I also own time attack clip pedals, just prefer the platforms)
    WTB Pure V titanium

Comments Appreciated. Anybody want to guess final build weight?

Frickle Frack
    Sounds like its going to be a nice one, please post pics when its built!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    With a similar profile tire I'm getting a lot of benefit from a 30mm inside dimension wide rim.
    More volume means 3-4 psi lower pressure. This combo gives a larger track, more grip and cushion. Wider means more sidewall support for more stable cornering with less washout. LB or the same but cheaper carbonbicycle.cc rims in your build or AC Wide Lightnings 708 on ebay are two options. I had been running ArchEx before these. I just unlaced an ArchEx rear wheel I build on a Dt 340 hub and rebuilt it with Lasers and a CB.cc rim. As soon as the 142 cap/axle kit gets here I'll compare it to the Wide Lightning I've been running on my Superfly 9.8.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Parts started rolling in this afternoon. I got the lefty fork, cassette, and the seat post.New/Old Stock - Flash 29er Carbon Build Thread-parts-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Tons of parts showed up today. Crankset, shifters, both derailleur's, handlebars, frame, and jagwire cable kit. I have run into two problems so far...... First I ordered a BB30 crankset but they sent a GXP. Luckily I already have the correct part on the way. Second,(keep in mind this is my first sram bike), the shifters have no way to connect to the handlebars. I assume they are supposed to mount to the bottom of the brake levers but I tried holding them together (xt levers sram x9 shifters) and they don't seem to work. Maybe someone can enlighten me on what's going on here?

Here are some photos of the build. By far my favorite part so far is the Easton Haven Carbon bars. Feathery light, strong, and just holding them in my hands, you can tell they are just perfect. Another nice surprise has been this frame. Light as a feather, and the head tube and down tube are HUGE. Very impressive looking frame in person. Pics do not do it justice.
    New/Old Stock - Flash 29er Carbon Build Thread-20140808_192609_resized.jpgNew/Old Stock - Flash 29er Carbon Build Thread-20140808_193015_resized.jpgNew/Old Stock - Flash 29er Carbon Build Thread-20140808_193058_resized.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Shifter/Brake mounting issue

Well, that was an expensive mistake. $45 later I have some problem solvers adapters on order. As long as they work I will call it a learners fee. This will be my first and last Sram/Cannondale bike for sure. Don't get me wrong, this will no doubt be the best bike I have ever ridden, but what a pain in the arse with all the proprietary headset / component mounting issues. Not a fan of the S3 derailleur mount, but it does make for a super clean install. Took me an entire day of google searching to figure out the headset stuff and I haven't got the parts yet so not even sure I have everything I need.

Formerly of Kent

If it takes you an entire day to order parts for a bike, that's on you, not the manufacturers. I ordered everything for my new FS in under two hours. Built from a frame only, no shock included. Fork, bars, stem, shock, BB, shifters, RD, crank, etc. Same with my HT, and it is flawless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    If it takes you an entire day to order parts for a bike, that's on you, not the manufacturers. I ordered everything for my new FS in under two hours. Built from a frame only, no shock included. Fork, bars, stem, shock, BB, shifters, RD, crank, etc. Same with my HT, and it is flawless.

And what brand was it? Did it have a normal headset? Yes its mostly on me for not being familiar with cannondale and how their lefty system works.

Formerly of Kent

A simple eBay search takes 30 seconds...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    A simple eBay search takes 30 seconds...

Dont you think youre being a little critical?
    2006 Litespeed Niota -- 1994 Univega Alpina 5.5 -- 1995 Specialized FSR -- 1988 Schwinn Prologue -- XMI IP-106 Carbon 29er

Formerly of Kent

No. You're blaming the companies you named for your inability to buy and assemble their parts. If there was a flaw in construction, or customer service, I'd get that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Well since my build thread is now headed into the crapper, all I was saying is that the lefty system is more complicated and it took me a while to figure out. You cant 30 seconds ebay it and get it correct if you have no previous knowledge of what's going on. The head tube is 1.5" and the lefty fork is only so tall between the mounts. If you order a normal 1.5" headset it would be too tall for the lefty and its not going to fit. Then the whole stem/integrated steer tube mechanism is not that complicated once you figure it out, but its not as simple as put the crown race on the fork and slide it through. In fact it doesn't even use a crown race or so I'm told. The Cannondale headset headset doesn't come with (from what I am told) a mandatory bearing dust cover which I had to track down and order separately. Even this little part takes special attention because the one for the carbon flash is different from the alum flash so you have to EDUCATE yourself before ordering. I wanted to go full Shimano drivetrain but couldn't because the e-type front derailleur has to have a special mounting bracket that is made and now discontinued by Cannondale. So the only thing that is a direct bolt on is the S3 Sram unit which you don't find out until you scour the web for hours looking for the part and find out that the only place you can get it is either in the UK or not at all. So yea this is not a 30 second eBay bike. Its kind of a pain to educate yourself on all the little issues Cannondale has created here. If they would package and sell there parts as completes instead of leaving out mandatory stuff I have to track down individually and didn't pigeon hole me into switching my drivetrain by discontinuing mandatory fitment parts two years after they quit manufacturing the frame then I wouldn't be having these problems.

I know this sounds like a rant but I'm really not complaining. I am super excited about building this bike. Originally I just wanted to make note that this build had a budget, and it was blown by the simple fact that by the time I got knee deep into ordering parts the "Cannondale lefty" complication entered the room and additional time and funds had to be spent to make it all come together. So yea it took me about a day to figure all that out and get it ordered. Not too bad for an amateur.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    No. You're blaming the companies you named for your inability to buy and assemble their parts. If there was a flaw in construction, or customer service, I'd get that.

Im just saying basically that youre being a jerk to this guy, for no good reason. Hes obviously needing a little assistance and all you did was say how awesome you are and how dumb he is. Youre a jerk honestly.
    2006 Litespeed Niota -- 1994 Univega Alpina 5.5 -- 1995 Specialized FSR -- 1988 Schwinn Prologue -- XMI IP-106 Carbon 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Progress Update

Well today some much needed parts showed up. I got my steer tube/bearings/stem assembly thing. So I went to work on that mess and several hours later I have the lefty installed. If I was to make a recommendation to other lefty noobs that want to build their own, the first thing I would say is don't buy the Cannondale parts. Get that project 321 steer tube thing and a 1.5 to 1.25 reducer headset. You may need to be an owner of the lefty that has the larger spacing between the rings to get that to work if your using a Cannondale frame at least. Otherwise just PM me and I will explain my struggles and how I managed to get it assembled because it was not easy (also not that hard).

Tips. Don't even start until you have at least some good grease, a semi soft rubber mallet, and probably some rubber gloves would have been nice. Oh and go ahead and grow a pair cause your going to be pounding away on that carbon frame hard enough to wonder if any damage is being done. I would like to see how they do it at the shop, but I would imagine there cant be very many alternatives. Hardest part is getting the stem and steer tube past the bearings. Once you figure that out you have it made. I hope the weight savings was worth the cursing, because it was about 2 "eff you's" a gram I think. Either way, all I have to do now is tighten everything up once the wheelset comes in. I can tell you one thing, if I don't like the setup or want to remove a spacer or something, I am just going to run it up to the LBS and let them monkey with it. Went ahead and threw the carbon bars up there for reference .I think they look funny, but I think its because they need some stuff hanging off them......... maybe tomorrow I start making cables while I wait for more parts.

New/Old Stock - Flash 29er Carbon Build Thread-20140811_234436_resized.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Oh and workbench..... destroyed. ^^^^^^

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    darkarcher,

Great build thread keep it up, I love to see customized bikes come togetehr for a persons persoenl and riding preferences (which takes research!).

Ride on!
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by HEMIjer View Post
    darkarcher,

Great build thread keep it up, I love to see customized bikes come togetehr for a persons persoenl and riding preferences (which takes research!).

Ride on!
    Thanks, I can wait to finish it up!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    On my second Flash.....Great HT.

Great spec also but I would have went 1X or 2X .

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    On my second Flash.....Great HT.

Great spec also but I would have went 1X or 2X .
    If I was only going to use this bike for its intended purpose, I would agree but I needed it to be a do all. My wife likes go riding on the bike path so I needed a big ring to keep up with her. I have a road bike but she likes mountain bikes so I just like it better if were both on similar bikes. Not sure what you mean by 2x unless you mean XX. I am running a 2x10 drivetrain 39/26 up front 11/36 in the rear. X9 with PG-1070 cassette.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Made some progress today. Basically I have every part I need now except for some new clamps to hold my shifters and my wheelset. I took my front brake up to the LBS to get the length shortened a bit. For $30 it just wasn't worth messing with. I got the crankset installed this morning. I think it matches the bike really well. Cant wait to get my wheels so I can fit my gold chain. Sorry for the angle on the pics. Turn your laptop sideways and it looks great!

New/Old Stock - Flash 29er Carbon Build Thread-20140816_101012_resized.jpgNew/Old Stock - Flash 29er Carbon Build Thread-20140816_101038_resized.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Progress Update

The end is near. I was waiting on two parts to come in. The first was my clamps for my shifters. Now that those arrived I was able to mount the shifters and make my cables. Forgot to get pictures of the cables at the front but I was particularly proud of the smallest and easiest cable to make for some reason and snapped a couple pics. I think it just adds something to the bike. Wheelset will be here Tomorrow and then I can setup my tubless Ikon's and finish everything up. More pics to come. New/Old Stock - Flash 29er Carbon Build Thread-20140823_133114_resized.jpgNew/Old Stock - Flash 29er Carbon Build Thread-20140823_133140_resized.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Wheels came in the mail last night and I was able to confirm at least everything is going to fit together. I should have time to snap a couple pics tonight and post up in the morning. Still have to torque a few bolts, get the tubless setup going, mount the chain, and a few other minor adjustments. Very impressed with ProWheelBuilder service.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    cool man, glad youre almost done with it. Itll be nice to get it out on the trail and have fun with it rather than messing with it on the workstand.