Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

New old rider, just bought my re-entry

Hi all, nice to be aboard here. I'm Alex from the Philadelphia area. I've always liked bikes, since my old RU (Royce Union?) to the K-Mart Huffy I got shortly after. This was about 10 years ago and I outgrew both machines. Lately I've been wanting to get back to it so I just bought earlier today a new bike for myself

2015 Trek Marlin 6 29er 17.5" black/green

I know it's been a while, but I have fond memories of going as what I remember being pretty fast down some trails at Pennypack park when I was about 12-13 (25 now) on the Huffy that was at least 2x heavier than the Trek, and had no suspension at all. I hope that with the new bike and technology within I'll be able to enjoy the same fun experience.

I'll be looking for advice upgrading some things as I am hearing the brakes are probably in need of upgrading soon. Should be picking her up next week after it's assembled. I bought at Guy's in Trevose.

EDIT: 2 days after I ordered the bike I called and changed the color to the white. Then I decided to change it to a better bike so I now have a 2014 TREK X-Caliber 6
    Last edited by cleanneon98; 07-23-2014 at 07:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Congrats! Here's to a long weekend waiting!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The fork on your bike is designed for bike paths and dirt road riding. Should be good for the rail trails at Pennypack.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Just ride it and see for yourself. I got back into this sport two years ago and was super impressed how much nicer the new bikes are compared to when I rode in the late nineties. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun on your new bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Hope so. I want to check out pennypack, lorimer, core creek, etc. I hear playwiki is decent as well. Does anyone know if you can ride the trails at Tyler??

I'll also be using this for local shopping and excersize so I hope it's not terrible riding in pavement.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanneon98 View Post
    Hope so. I want to check out pennypack, lorimer, core creek, etc. I hear playwiki is decent as well. Does anyone know if you can ride the trails at Tyler??

I'll also be using this for local shopping and excersize so I hope it's not terrible riding in pavement.
    It will be perfect.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Everyone here is so encouraging haha.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Changed my order real quick to the same setup but White. I think I'll apreciate being able to see the bike better under me in the woods.

29ers Forever
    Changed my order real quick to the same setup but White. I think I'll apreciate being able to see the bike better under me in the woods.
    I don't think white is a good colour for a mountain bike. It shows dirt too easily and is harder to wash.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- 26er
    1994 Cannondale R300- narrow tire roadie

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Harder to keep clean. Same to wash.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You need to look at the trail first.

Crash Dummy In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi_GR_Biker View Post
    Just ride it and see for yourself. I got back into this sport two years ago and was super impressed how much nicer the new bikes are compared to when I rode in the late nineties. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun on your new bike.
    ^This^
    And it don't matter what color you can wash it I wash mine after every ride mostly the drive train.
    It's all about having fun and not everyone needs a top end bike or components to have fun.
    I know people with $350 Nashbar mountain bikes that have a blast riding them on single track.
    ​​
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T.
    1997 Rock Hopper / Manitou TI Bulge Fork / Shimano STX-3 x 7 P.O.S.​

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Yes on looking at trail, but its nice to have a clear vision of the bike in my peripherals or if I glance down. Plus it matches the transport vehicle

I think I'll be OK on the basic stuff for now. Brakes will be changed if they are inadequate since that's a safety no-no. Otherwise, I think it will be a little while until I can outperform the bike. I am a car guy (turbo miata built for speed and cornering) and I know that in the wrong hands even the best setup cars (in this case bikes) don't compensate for the driver/rider.

Luckily my close friend is a driving instructor and does the One Lap of America so since he taught me years ago, I've been scaring the rest of my friends. I will learn this beast too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Your first change for safety will not be brakes.
    Yes yours will seem totally inadequate for bumpy downhill trail sections.
    But that is because of the fork pogoing you off whenever you get going.
    You know shocks from cornering requirements for your Miata.
    Think how far you would get with no shock, just a spring.
    That's what you have now.

X-Cal 8 or 9 or Superfly 5.
    Last edited by eb1888; 07-14-2014 at 12:35 PM.

29ers Forever
    Yes on looking at trail, but its nice to have a clear vision of the bike in my peripherals or if I glance down. Plus it matches the transport vehicle
    Colour coordination is no reason to buy a specific bike, and black bikes are not hard to notice in your peripheral vision, if anything it will distract you from riding.
    But it is your choice. Now buy an X-Cal instead of the Marlin, please. The X-Cal has a better quality frame and will be a better frame to upgrade over time. X-Cal 6 .
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I actually did call in and change my order to the X-Cal 6. I like the suspension lockout feature, plus the brakes dont seem to have as bad of a rep.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Anyone care to educate me a bit about some of the components in the bike? I don't know what's good and what's not so good. Any inexpensive upgrades definitely encouraged to share. Had this been an import car, I could figure it out

Frame - Trek Alpha Gold Series aluminum
    Fork - SR SunTour XCM, 100mm-travel
    Rims/Wheels - Bontrager AT-650
    Hubs - Formula
    Tires - Bontrager XR1, 29 x 2.2/2.0
    Crankset - Shimano Altus
    Chainrings -42/32/22
    Front Derailleur - Shimano
    Rear Derailleur - SRAM X4
    Rear Cogs -Shimano, 8-speed: 11-34
    Shifters -SRAM X4
    Handlebars -Bontrager
    Tape/Grips -Bontrager Race
    Stem - Bontrager Race Lite
    Brake Levers - Shimano
    Brakes -Shimano M395 disc
    Pedals -Wellgo nylon platform
    Saddle - Bontrager Evoke 1
    Seatpost - Bontrager SSR

29ers Forever
    Anyone care to educate me a bit about some of the components in the bike? I don't know what's good and what's not so good. Any inexpensive upgrades definitely encouraged to share. Had this been an import car, I could figure it out

Frame - Trek Alpha Gold Series aluminum
    Fork - SR SunTour XCM, 100mm-travel
    Rims/Wheels - Bontrager AT-650
    Hubs - Formula
    Tires - Bontrager XR1, 29 x 2.2/2.0
    Crankset - Shimano Altus
    Chainrings -42/32/22
    Front Derailleur - Shimano
    Rear Derailleur - SRAM X4
    Rear Cogs -Shimano, 8-speed: 11-34
    Shifters -SRAM X4
    Handlebars -Bontrager
    Tape/Grips -Bontrager Race
    Stem - Bontrager Race Lite
    Brake Levers - Shimano
    Brakes -Shimano M395 disc
    Pedals -Wellgo nylon platform
    Saddle - Bontrager Evoke 1
    Seatpost - Bontrager SSR
    The components are not top-tier, but are still better than the Marlin for the price. The pedals are probably the first things you need to replace. Then replace things as problems arise.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The fork has hydraulic lockout but more important, fixed rebound damping. It is probably more usable than I thought.
    For platform pedals wellgo B143 work with trailrunners or similar shoes because of the stubby pins. Origin8 ULT on the bay are another option.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Are there certain types of pedals I can use? What's the difference with clip less pedals?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Clipless clip into a metal plate built into the sole of a specific type of shoe.
    Platform require a technique called low heels to help your foot stick to the pedal when you are standing going over bumps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I don't want really coarse pedals in case my foot slips so it doesn't kill my shims.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Also I noticed that both this bike and the marlin 6 have the XCM front shock but the Xcal has the lockout ability and as someone said the different adjustment too. Are there other differences?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Name:  B143 wellgo.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  7.4 KB

New old rider, just bought my re-entry-origin8.jpg
    Stubby or rounded pins aren't the ones that tear up your shins. The B143 are stubby. The Origin8 are rounded.
    For DH and jumping you need longer sharp pins and 5.10 Impact or Freeride shoes with sticky rubber soles. Those pins can cut.

If you look up the XCM forks on Suntours site you see the only XCM models with rebound damping have hydraulic lockout. No hydraulic lockout, no rebound damping=pogo stick.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    What's a set of decent pedals go for! I'm not interested in lightweight fancy stuff but more functional.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast