Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Origin8 ul8 are 60 on ebay.
    Wellgo B143 about 65. Less from CRC if you add to the order.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Attachment 908220

Attachment 908221
    Stubby or rounded pins aren't the ones that tear up your shins. The B143 are stubby. The Origin8 are rounded.
    For DH and jumping you need longer sharp pins and 5.10 Impact or Freeride shoes with sticky rubber soles. Those pins can cut.

If you look up the XCM forks on Suntours site you see the only XCM models with rebound damping have hydraulic lockout. No hydraulic lockout, no rebound damping=pogo stick.
    Wait so do you really need the specific shoes for those stubby pedals. Or can you wear regular shoes?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PotatoMTB View Post
    Wait so do you really need the specific shoes for those stubby pedals. Or can you wear regular shoes?
    Regular running shoes or other shoes with some lug or bumpiness on the bottom.
    When you see pedals with sharp skinny pins they need 5.10s because those sharp pins will tear up the soles of regular shoes and your shins unless you wear protection.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Vans all the way

Good 'ol Vans work for me. I'm still a fan of them from my BMX days....and they're half the price of the five-tens.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Man that's kinda pricey for pedals haha. I'll take a look around. Do I just search for bike pedals?

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanneon98 View Post
    Man that's kinda pricey for pedals haha. I'll take a look around. Do I just search for bike pedals?
    Go to your LBS and check around at pedal selection there. I found a set of decent Wellgo metal flats for $25 at a bike shop.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er serious mountain bike
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- play mountain bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Took it for a first ride today mainly on paved roads. Seat sucks big time and my shoes slip off the pedals but that's both my crappy shoes and the cheapo pedals. Shock works nicely and its nice to be able to reach down and unlock it for a bumpy area and then lock again for pavement. That said, otherwise the bike is awesome and pretty fast with the big wheels. It's weird that the shifters on one side work differently than the other, in other words, the bigger lever on the left changes gear up, but on the right the same lever changes gear down.

I want a speedometer/odometer for it. Any suggestions on ones that wont break the bank and work with a 29er?

29ers Forever
    Took it for a first ride today mainly on paved roads. Seat sucks big time and my shoes slip off the pedals but that's both my crappy shoes and the cheapo pedals. Shock works nicely and its nice to be able to reach down and unlock it for a bumpy area and then lock again for pavement. That said, otherwise the bike is awesome and pretty fast with the big wheels. It's weird that the shifters on one side work differently than the other, in other words, the bigger lever on the left changes gear up, but on the right the same lever changes gear down.

I want a speedometer/odometer for it. Any suggestions on ones that wont break the bank and work with a 29er?
    I have a Cannondale computer but that might be too pricy, Giant has a nice selection.
    You can set up any bike computer to 29".

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    I have a Cannondale computer but that might be too pricy, Giant has a nice selection.
    You can set up any bike computer to 29".
    I definitely need to get used to the bike a lot better before I start doing downhills and looking for jumps, landing on the hardtail is like walking a tightrope, has to be right.

I'm sure it's capable, but am I?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Hope so. I want to check out pennypack, lorimer, core creek, etc. I hear playwiki is decent as well. Does anyone know if you can ride the trails at Tyler??

I'll also be using this for local shopping and excersize so I hope it's not terrible riding in pavement.
    Hey, I know you (sorta) from TST, i was ToyotaTat, though no longer active.
    There's a weekly group ride for beginners (really anybody) at Core Creek on Wednesdays at 630. a few of us are riding there tonight also at 630, organized through meetup.com Core Creek is a great place to ride for any skill level and it's tough to get lost.
    Tyler only allows bikes on paved surfaces so I avoid it due to pedestrian traffic.
    I haven't rode Pennypack or Lorimer.
    The trails around Playwicki aren't considered part of the actual park. I can show you around there if you want, I ride it regularly and there's a way to ride from Playwicki to Core Creek too.
    pm me if you want to set something up, and welcome to the forum / mtb world.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Hey man I remember you! Yea I didn't get to make it out tonight but maybe next week. I'll need to keep my eyes peeled for upcoming stuff. I have not ridden at core creek yet.

You really can't ride the trails at Tyler? I seen people do it I think

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    there's posted signage stating bikes have to stay on the paved surfaces, because of the horses on the wooded trails (at least as of last summer). I haven't went back since. if people are riding the trails, either the rules have changed or they're just badass like that.

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFinn510 View Post
    there's posted signage stating bikes have to stay on the paved surfaces, because of the horses on the wooded trails (at least as of last summer). I haven't went back since. if people are riding the trails, either the rules have changed or they're just badass like that.
    Why would they not allow bikes to go on a dirt trail?
    There's a similar thing near my house, but that's because it is a National Park.
    But really, if the trails are nice ride them anyway and avoid horses. If you are "caught" put up an argument about the crazy rules.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Why would they not allow bikes to go on a dirt trail?
    There's a similar thing near my house, but that's because it is a National Park.
    But really, if the trails are nice ride them anyway and avoid horses. If you are "caught" put up an argument about the crazy rules.
    They probably wouldn't mind you riding the trails if they could find a way to make money like renting you the bike, greedy bastards.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Do I have to be fully stopped and off the bike to lock the front fork or can I reach down and do it on the go?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    On the go. Forks have or often can be setup with a remote on the bars to make it easier.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    OK, cause one LBS said nothing about it, and another said that locking them when not stopped/unloaded can break the mech inside. Can I set SAG on this fork too? It seems to be performing OK for the time being but I have nothing to compare it to. It's not buttery over rocky and rooted terrain but there's no rear shock so I can't tell how much is up front and out back. I haven't felt yet that the fork is not doing it job though

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You should have some latitude for sag control, probably using a dial on top of the left leg. The spring has a weight range and there are no optional choices.
    This is a basic fork. Buttery is not a design goal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I do get a little wiggle in the fork when i hold the front brake and try to move the bike back and forth, I cant see much movement but can hear like a popping sound...or maybe its the spring in there.

Clueless Bastard
    I don't think white is a good colour for a mountain bike. It shows dirt too easily and is harder to wash.
    Wrong. White is the shiz.
    New old rider, just bought my re-entry-wp_20140716_009.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    The wiggle and sound was actually the headtube loose. I took it to the shop and they said it was a good thing I brought it in and that it had broken in and just needed to be tightened. They showed me how to check and adjust it myself and I played with it at home as well. I still have very minor movement but if I tighten it anymore the steering starts to get sticky. I assume there will always be SOME play there, but I can't even say I have 1mm of movement.

What kind of things should I really not do on this bike? I am starting to feel MUCH more comfortable with it, taking jumps over curbs, down steep fast hills, rolling down small sets of stairs, just really starting to be un-bound from the road. I know as a hardtail it has some limitations, but maybe others that will break the bike sooner?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2