mtbr member
    Apr 2013

New Nishiki Kinzua + save $300 vs. Used Trek Mamba

So I tried asking this questions on the limited edition Kinzua thread but had no luck receiving replies.. Someone recommended making a new thread so here it is

I have a friend at work whos son has a 2011 Trek Mamba that has been sitting for a year.. The bike needs a tuneup and the disc brake may be slightly bent... He wants $650 for the bike which is more than I want to spend.. plus figuring the tuneup and I would probably end up putting a cyclometer on so I would probably be around the $750 mark..

Second option is a Nishiki Kinzua (2012) from everyones favorite store... DSG.. I feel like it would be a good bike to start out with (I plan to upgrade once I am sure I need to invest the money)...I already purchased the Nishiki but havent picked it up... So I can still cancel..I got the nishiki for 488 with three year warranty, speedometer and tax (after 10% from opening a DSG card)..

I understand the trek is a better bike and better quality but my question is.. which bike is the better VALUE? the difference in price for the bikes alone is roughly $300.. $650 vs. $360. I have listed the specs below.

Nishiki
    Frame: Heat-treated/butted 6061 aluminum with shaped top tube, shaped down tube, and replaceable hanger
    Fork: SR Suntour XCT V3, with manual lockout, 100mm travel
    Rear suspension: N/A
    Cranks: SR Suntour XCT V2
    Front derailleur: Shimano Tourney TX50
    Rear derailleur: Shimano Acera, 7 speeds
    Shifter: Shimano EZ Fire
    Brakes: Tektro Novella with 160mm rotors
    Rims: Weinmann 32H double wall aluminum
    Tires: WTB Prowler 29" x 2.1"
    Handlebar: Steel
    Stem: Aluminum
    Speeds: 21
    Gears: Shimano
    Seatpost: Alloy
    Seat: WTB
    Head set: Threaded 1 1/8"
    Chain: KMC Z-51
    Hub set: (F) Alloy QR, (R) Alloy QR
    Seat Clamp: Aluminum QR
    Grips: Dual Density

MAMBA
    Frame 6061 T6 aluminum, butted & hydroformed tubing, cold-forged dropouts & bottom bracket, G2 29" Geometry
    Front Suspension RockShox Tora 29 w/TurnKey lockout, custom G2 Geometry, 51mm offset crown, 100mm travel
    WHEELS
    Wheels Formula DC20 front hub, Shimano M475 rear hub; Bontrager Ranger Disc 32-hole rims
    Tires Bontrager 29-2, 29x2.1"
    DRIVETRAIN
    Shifters SRAM X.4, 8 speed
    Front Derailleur Shimano Deore
    Rear Derailleur SRAM X.5
    Crank Shimano Acera, 44/32/22
    Cassette SRAM PG-830 11-32, 8 speed
    Pedals Wellgo ATB, boron axle, steel cage
    COMPONENTS
    Saddle Bontrager Evoke 1
    Seat Post Bontrager SSR, 27.2mm, 20mm offset
    Handlebars Bontrager Approved Big Sweep, 15 degree sweep
    Stem Bontrager SSR
    Headset 1-1/8" threadless, semi-integrated, semi-cartridge bearings
    Brakeset SRAM BB5 mechanical disc brakes, 6-bolt; 160mm rotors

ANY ADVICE OR INPUT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! THANKS!

Is dang happy!
    The Tora on the Mamba is a much better fork than the SR on the Nishiki, as are the other components too.
    Keep checking craigslist or talk the people with the Trek down.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Doom View Post
    The Tora on the Mamba is a much better fork than the SR on the Nishiki, as are the other components too.
    I got my wife a 2011 Mamba off CL for $600 last fall. Hardly used, never been on trail for that matter. If anything, the f/r derailleurs on the Trek are going to be a lot better than the ones on the other bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Why is that? I tried the Mamba and I really liked it...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yeah I offered $500 which I thought was a good price. The fork and the rims are the main reason why I want the used Mamba... I have been searching on Craigslist for a long time and have found nothing that I consider a good deal...

I was almost thinking about the special edition of the kinzua but then stopped myself after realizing that I was considering spending over $600 ($630 to be exact after 10%) on a Nishiki... although the components look good..

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    had a Mamba and liked it... ive looked at the Nishiki's before and i really think the $300 is worth it..
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bapski View Post
    had a Mamba and liked it... ive looked at the Nishiki's before and i really think the $300 is worth it..
    Thank you all for your the input! I figured I am covered with the warranty if it is sub-par quality and I can always sell it a year or two down the road (and not loose too much money) and upgrade... I would pick up the Mamba if it was $500 but for $650 (+ the money I would be putting in) I just dont see the value..

I would appreciate any other feedback.. It would be really great if we had someone on here who has had personal experiences with the Kinzua!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    So the better value is the Nishiki?

I am going to put in a final offer of $550 on the Mamba.. but I think that is the most I can do.

Can anyone else give their .2 cents?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    go with the Mamba.. Better frame and platform to build on

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Bike Blue Book says 910 new for the 2011 471 current value.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Bike Blue Book says 910 new for the 2011 471 current value.
    I actually used Bike Blue Book and that is how I came up with my $500 offer which I thought was fair... How accurate/trusted of a source is it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sugarsand rider View Post
    go with the Mamba.. Better frame and platform to build on
    I wouldnt be building on the Nishiki. I would just be using it until I can afford a good bike (when/if I get to the point where I NEED a good bike)

mtbr member
    The Nishiki is a Walmart bike, it's not worth more than $50 once it's out the door of the shop. So it may be cheaper but it's got no value.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by josephblue View Post
    I wouldnt be building on the Nishiki. I would just be using it until I can afford a good bike (when/if I get to the point where I NEED a good bike)
    thats good if you dont get bitten by the MTB bug...

i had the same thinking as you.. decided on a MARLIN ended up with a MAMBA... ended up wanting a SUPERFLY..AND ending up WANTING MORE and got a RUMBLEFISH...

had i known id be smitten with MTB i would have spared myself the two initial bikes and just had the SUPERFLY and the RUMBLEFISH..

i guess the key thing is knowing where you will be in MTB in the long term and work with that and also determine if you can control yourself from getting a better bike till the next season or two.
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    get the trek

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bapski View Post
    thats good if you dont get bitten by the MTB bug...

i had the same thinking as you.. decided on a MARLIN ended up with a MAMBA... ended up wanting a SUPERFLY..AND ending up WANTING MORE and got a RUMBLEFISH...

had i known id be smitten with MTB i would have spared myself the two initial bikes and just had the SUPERFLY and the RUMBLEFISH..

i guess the key thing is knowing where you will be in MTB in the long term and work with that and also determine if you can control yourself from getting a better bike till the next season or two.
    x2

im new to the whole posting thing sorry for tghe confusion. but once you get the Nishiki youll hate youself everytime you see another bike or like me youll start looking at upgrading part ie fork

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Keep in mind there are two versions of the Kinzua: the cheaper one you mention in this thread, and the Limited Edition with upgraded components.

At $699, the Limited Edition Kinzua has better specs than a used and abused 2011 Mamba.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    i bought my 2012 Trek Cobia used in nov for 650 and recently just sold it for 650 to fund a niner jet 9 rdo. I wanted something used and inexpensive as it was my first bike that I ever purchased myself and first bike since a college commuter some 15 years ago. Wanted to make sure I was interested in the sport before I got something nicer. In my opinion, you are better off to continue your search through CL or local bike groups. maybe even check out some lbs to see if they still have any remaining 12s for good deals. Try a bigger area for CL if you're in a small area, that's what I had to do. Good luck in your search and be careful as this sport is addicting and expensive

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Delete
    Last edited by josephblue; 05-13-2013 at 10:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Update: Person with the Mamba said they would meet in the middle but I also found a 2010 rockhopper comp for $400.. which would you consider the better value of the two?

TrekBikes.com Bike Archive | 2011 Mamba - $575

Specialized Bicycle Components - $400