mtbr member
    Nov 2010

New Niner SIR 9 !!!

Just when I was about to choose between a Salsa Selma Ti or steel El Mariachi, Niner complicates my decision by offering a new SIR 9 . Niner added an oversized headtube and developed new tubes with Reynolds for the bike. I'm still not sold on the EBB (compared to the alternator dropouts on the Selma and El Mar), but the EBB should, in theory, create a lighter bike than one with more complicated dropouts.

Is the Biocentric II EBB the same one currently used by Niner's cabon SS bikes, and if so, can it be set up to ride without creaking, squeaking, or loosening? I weigh 225 loaded, so any feedback from other big riders with this EBB would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Niner SIR 9 !!!-sir9_dlimage1.jpg  

mtbr member
    I've read somewhere a while ago that a teflon tape (as instructed in manual) stopped the creaking for a clyde.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    How about Giant XTC? Was wondering why this superb bike hardly been discussed here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Had not seen this. Nice. Schwalbe seems to be getting their tires on more bikes, even as the prices approach $100 a pop.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I already ordered mine. The double bolts should help with any creaking, and the 8mm hole to rotate the ebb for tension is a nice touch. Just follow niners installation to the "t" and you will be fine. It requires carbogrip and a torque wrench, and alcohol to clean prior to the install. I'm 195 with gear, and I race. The ebb doesn't really bother me, but I regularly wrench on my own bikes.

Even with the bolt on dropouts, I have heard you need to take the paint off the back side to keep it from sliding or popping.

the niners won't be in until October, so if you want immediate satisfaction, look elsewhere. But for me, niners geometry is perfect, and there is no substitute. I am coming from an xxix pro, have always wanted a niner. No regrets for selling the xxix pro.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Go Selma Ti. Ride is incomparable. Alternators are flawless. Throw on a Niner (or better yet, Whisky) carbon fork. RIde it SS or geared.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by adinpapa View Post
    Go Selma Ti. Ride is incomparable. Alternators are flawless. Throw on a Niner (or better yet, Whisky) carbon fork. RIde it SS or geared.
    So you've ridden both?
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    sweet ride

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I have been riding the sir 9 for 3 years now and It took me a while to get the EBB figured out but I did get it dialed in. 1.)Go to the auto parts store and buy a $5 bottle of disk brake squeal stopper. 2.)Clean ebb and inside frame with rubbing alcohol. 3.)rub some of the squeal stopper onto the EBB and frame in the areas they make contact. 4.)put a little dab of grease on the bolt threads that holds the ebb together. 5.) give the squeal stop time to dry and then...6.) Go enjoy your squeak, creak and slip free EBB!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdub58 View Post
    I have been riding the sir 9 for 3 years now and It took me a while to get the EBB figured out but I did get it dialed in. ... Go enjoy your squeak, creak and slip free EBB!
    great info, i'll have to try this on my old school el mar....
    In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    talking about geometry in your opinion new SIR has become less racing?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    and always is reynolds 853 used or another tubing? (953?)

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Reviving this old thread. Let's hear how the new SIR 9 rides. I just ordered one and am hoping it has a sweet a feel on the trail as the MCR I used to own.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I was doing some google searching and have seen a couple reviews that say the front triangle is made out of 853 steel and the rear stays are 4130 chromoly. Does anyone know what the scoop is on this? The Niner site does not list anything that I can find other than the 853.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Pride View Post
    I was doing some google searching and have seen a couple reviews that say the front triangle is made out of 853 steel and the rear stays are 4130 chromoly. Does anyone know what the scoop is on this? The Niner site does not list anything that I can find other than the 853.
    That was previous generation.
    New SIR, unfortunately, has even less 853 tubes. Only down tube and top tube are 853, rest is mix of 631 (seat tube, head tube) and 4130 (the rest). That was mentioned on BikeRadar website when bike was introduced.

If you read the description of the frame on Niner website carefully, they only specifically mention 853 DZB down tube but are very moot about the rest of the frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojos Azules View Post
    That was previous generation.
    New SIR, unfortunately, has even less 853 tubes. Only down tube and top tube are 853, rest is mix of 631 (seat tube, head tube) and 4130 (the rest). That was mentioned on BikeRadar website when bike was introduced.

If you read the description of the frame on Niner website carefully, they only specifically mention 853 DZB down tube but are very moot about the rest of the frame.
    Thanks for the reply. If you have one of the 2013 frames how does it ride?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Pride View Post
    Thanks for the reply. If you have one of the 2013 frames how does it ride?
    Sorry, can't help you here.
    I was waiting for new MCR (), but when I saw price for SIR here in Europe I went custom and ordered a 853 (and I mean truly 853 ) 29er from this guy:
    oTm Bikes - Tom Bailly-Salins - Custom built bikes and frames - Bicycle Frame Building Classes

and got a fantastic frame for even money.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Does anyone have experience with the newer frame and the previous frame? I rode my buddy's ss sir and loved it so much I'm going to sell my carbon top fuel for an air but I'm having trouble debating wether to buy his since I know I love it or take a chance building a newer one and having a completely diff ride characteristic and not linking it as much