mtbr member
    Feb 2007

New Niner RIP 9 built with a White Brothers Fluid 29 Coil Fork...

We just built up a custom Niner RIP 9 with a White Brothers Fluid 29 Coil Fork. I think this could be my new favorite bike!

There's a pic of it on our website at the moment:

http://www.webcyclery.com/home.php

And here in the gallery on mtbr.com:

http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.ph.../ppuser/316188

The White Bros Fluid 29 135mm is a coil fork and comes stock at 135mm, but had WB shorten it a tad. This fork now measures out at 128mm. Initial parking lot tours have gotten me pretty excited.

(Complete bike with pedals weighed in at a pretty respectable 27.5 pounds.)

Ride report coming soon...
    Last edited by henry@webcyclery.com; 07-31-2007 at 12:24 PM.

large member
    What in the world is the front tire? Heck, the rear tire is hard to make out too.

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mud'n'sweat
    What in the world is the front tire? Heck, the rear tire is hard to make out too.
    What is a Michelin XC AT tire? For $200. Bob.

MTB B'dos
    What's the build on that then? Not a bad weight, considering it's a SM frame with Egg Beaters. Have to do an accurate weigh in on my XL, but as of now the digital bathroom scale says 30lbs running Ergon MAG R2 grips and M520 pedals, rest is basic XT.

Can't say I like how the DT slopes on those SM frames, but at least it eliminates the cable S bow that happens on the larger sizes.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

Captain Underpants
    Niice. Curious, why did you shorten the fork? Truthfully, it does look a tad tall, but at an AC of 528mm shortened on a small frame . . . did I just answer my own question?

Shovel Ready
    WOW that is pretty light in my opinion. My NEW El Rey with 5" rockers came in at 32LBS. I do have heavy rims with a WTB DD FR Chris King setup.

Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member
    dude that is the exact setup I want when I get my rip. I have been eyeing your online store alot. what kind of price would a setup like that run me?
    It's go time

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Niner RIP 9 Frame Size..

Actually it's a medium frame in the pic. The angle of the photo does make it look pretty sloped, but it's not a small.

And give Bob $200 for pegging the Michelin XC AT tires!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

RIp 9 Build Details...

The build is XTR crankset, shifters, rear der, XT front (came with the frame), and an XT 34T cassette.

Brakes are Avid Ultimates with 160 rear and 185 front rotors.

Hope 32H hubs, Salsa Delgado Race rims - wheels built by MeanTodd with red nipples.

Thomson post, Fizik Aliante saddle.

Salsa Carbon riser bar, Ritchey WCS stem, Pedros Bob Roll Grips with Hope aluminum bar savers (plugs).

Michelin XC AT tires, Salsa Superlight tubes, and Ritchey rim strips.

Frame is a medium. Fork is the new White Brothers Fluid 29 Coil fork with 20mm thru axle. I had White shorten it to 128mm (the lowest they could easily do) because I didn't want it to feel choppered out and it feels about perfect to me.

Our scale says 27.5 with my old Eggbeater pedals.

MTB B'dos
    What's the fork weigh in at? Forgot it was a COIL, pretty good weight for a coil based build. I'd guess that build would run you somewhere in the 4,500+ range, since a normal X9 build kit from Niner runs around 3,300.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

Shovel Ready
    Not sure on the weight should have checked this past weekend when I installed the booster springs. Fluid 29 135 is coil on one side air on the other. I also went with 10 weight oil in mine. I'm a big guy and these two changes made a huge difference for me.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

frame and fork weight...

I put a few things on the scale. If I remember correctly the medium frame weighed around 6.5 pounds. The WB coil fork weighed about 4.6 pounds.

Total cost was $4800 for this. Subbing out a few chi-chi items (like the $200 saddle) would trim the cost for sure!

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    Is there an extra charge to drop the fork to 128mm?
    Can you hear me now?

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by cycljunkie
    Is there an extra charge to drop the fork to 128mm?
    Don't beleive there is, though you might have to wait a few extra days for them to build it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

WB Fluid 29 135mm fork setup charge...

Yes, actually White Brothers does charge to drop the ride height of the fork. They charged me about $35 to change it from 135mm to 128mm (their next step down).

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    Just curious if anyone can comment on how much better the F135 with open bath vs the F130 w/gas charged damping rides? Is it worth the extra $$$?
    Can you hear me now?