Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    20

    New to MTB and need advice

    Newbie here. I just got a Diamondback Overdrive D6 29er a couple of months ago and quickly found out once I got it on the trails that I might need a better equipped MTB. I couldn't climb for anything and kept falling off and then my buddy let me borrow his Stumpjumper while he rode mine. I had a blast. I had no problem climbing and he hated my bike. So, I've been looking at a couple of different bikes and wanted some opinions. The bikes I've looked at so far are: Stumpjumper, Santa Cruz Tallboy LT, Yeti SB95 and for some reason and don't know if it's a viable option, the Cannondale Trigger 1.
    For my first 29er are these too much bike? Should I be learning on something less aggressive? It looks like mainly the type of riding I'm going to be doing is single track with some good climbs and downhills as well.
    I welcome any and all suggestions.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    596
    You can never have too nice of a bike but the downside would be you might spoil yourself if you ever need to downgrade, hah. Those are all good options and they are versatile. A few others you should look at are: niner jet9 rdo or rip9, giant trance x or anthem x. I'd say most of them are in the same category as far as quality and wouldn't base your decision strictly on brand...just comes down to what's most comfortable for you. Make sure you test ride as many as possible as well. You'd be very surprised how 2 similar bikes with the same components can feel completely different.

  3. #3
    Quiet Professional
    Reputation: chef7734's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    515

    Re: New to MTB and need advice

    Also try other bikes than just 29ers. Get which ever feels best to you

    Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

  4. #4
    1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,276
    I really don't see why you had so much trouble with your current bike. It looks pretty standard. sure you can get nicer bikes but I wouldn't have thought it would cause you so much issue. Did you get the right size? Is it set up properly for you? Did you get it froma bike shop, and if so did they set it up for you?

  5. #5
    Location: SouthPole of MN
    Reputation: duggus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,378

    Re: New to MTB and need advice

    With the warm weather now finally here, you may want to check if there are any demo days at your local trails. Test riding on singletrack is always the best way to go.



    Sent from my brain using Tapatalk 2

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LB412's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    887
    Quote Originally Posted by finch2 View Post
    I really don't see why you had so much trouble with your current bike. It looks pretty standard. sure you can get nicer bikes but I wouldn't have thought it would cause you so much issue. Did you get the right size? Is it set up properly for you? Did you get it froma bike shop, and if so did they set it up for you?
    hard tail vs full suspension

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LB412's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    887
    Clarkster,

    i dig my Tallboy LTc and my wife feels the same about her 4" travel AL version. niner makes a great bike too.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dirtdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,632
    Tallboy LTc's are awesome.

    New to MTB and need advice-002.jpg

  9. #9
    1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by LB412 View Post
    hard tail vs full suspension
    Oh that explains something....if he is riding rough stuff

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    20
    Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it. Yes, I've got a hard tail and I think it was set up for me. I got it from Sports Chalet and the bike guy told me the front forks don't lock and there's really not much setup to them. And he said you might notice it when you go uphill. And first time out, he was right. It felt like a pogo stick. I'm not sure if I'm in the rough stuff or not, but it was single track with some good climbs and great downhill in SoCal. Good advice on Demo Days. Is that typically done through the bike shop or bike manufacturer?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LB412's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    887
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkster View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it. Yes, I've got a hard tail and I think it was set up for me. I got it from Sports Chalet and the bike guy told me the front forks don't lock and there's really not much setup to them. And he said you might notice it when you go uphill. And first time out, he was right. It felt like a pogo stick. I'm not sure if I'm in the rough stuff or not, but it was single track with some good climbs and great downhill in SoCal. Good advice on Demo Days. Is that typically done through the bike shop or bike manufacturer?
    If you are in SoCal go to The Path bike shop. Hands down the best selection in the area. They also have a wide variety of demo/rental bikes available.

  12. #12
    SSolo
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,503
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkster View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it. Yes, I've got a hard tail and I think it was set up for me. I got it from Sports Chalet and the bike guy told me the front forks don't lock and there's really not much setup to them. And he said you might notice it when you go uphill. And first time out, he was right. It felt like a pogo stick. I'm not sure if I'm in the rough stuff or not, but it was single track with some good climbs and great downhill in SoCal. Good advice on Demo Days. Is that typically done through the bike shop or bike manufacturer?
    Bike shops have rentals, manufacturers do demo days usually at a local trail.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    20
    Just checked out The Path bike shop. Very impressive. Thanks for the tip. Of all the bikes I'm looking at, as best as I can tell it seems component wise they seem to be pretty similar. I'm I on the right track about that?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LB412's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    887
    Nope, every bike brand will have different kit/spec options e.g. I ride the SPX AM TB LTc set up. I believe Niner ranks as 1-3. Check their sites for the specifics. Honestly for a newbie it's fairly mind boggling. That said I think you will be happy with any kit for the bikes you listed as they are all quality.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    20
    Yes. For a newbie it can be mind boggling. I think that means you have a Santa Cruz Tall Boy LTc with SPX components. Of the bikes I've been looking at, I'm leaning towards the Yeti SB95 alloy enduro for the reason all the decisions have been made for me component wise for about $3800. At this point, I'd like to get a complete bike instead of buying everything separate. I do like the Stumpjumper and the Santa Cruz TB LT as well, but getting confused with all the different packages they offer. Anyone know what the comparable Stumpjumper and Santa Cruz TB LT packages are and prices? I appreciate everybody's help and advice.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,959
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkster View Post
    Yes. For a newbie it can be mind boggling. I think that means you have a Santa Cruz Tall Boy LTc with SPX components. Of the bikes I've been looking at, I'm leaning towards the Yeti SB95 alloy enduro for the reason all the decisions have been made for me component wise for about $3800. At this point, I'd like to get a complete bike instead of buying everything separate. I do like the Stumpjumper and the Santa Cruz TB LT as well, but getting confused with all the different packages they offer. Anyone know what the comparable Stumpjumper and Santa Cruz TB LT packages are and prices? I appreciate everybody's help and advice.
    First off, I will say what others have, DEMO, DEMO, DEMO. Don't let price be the only deciding factor.
    I bought a 12 Stumjumper and thought it was ok, rode a Tallboy LT six month later and loved it compared to the SJ. You don't want to make a 4k mistake!

    Depending on where you can go budget wise I would go for the XT kits, but that is personal preference. You can get into a Tallboy LT alum with SLX/XT mix for $3099.
    Again that is personal preference, the Sram/Avid mix on my SJ I wasn't impressed with, love the XT stuff on my TBc.

    The Giant Trance 0 with full XT and dropper for $4200 might be a good choice.

    If you do enough reading on here, a lot of people dislike Avid brakes.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    20
    The SLX/XT, is this the Ram29 package that I see on the Santa Cruz web site? Is the XT is a step up from the Ram29 package? Sorry to asking such basic questions.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,959
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkster View Post
    The SLX/XT, is this the Ram29 package that I see on the Santa Cruz web site? Is the XT is a step up from the Ram29 package? Sorry to asking such basic questions.
    Yes XT/SLX mix is the RAM kit. It comes with Avids brakes however and I would work in a swap up to at least SLX brakes with who ever you get the bike from.
    The full XT kit is the SPX kit. If you can swing it I would step up to it. Again just my personal preference.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LB412's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    887
    I agree with two tone...

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wobbem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    560
    Get a hardtail, learn to ride, stay away from bike mags and forums until you can out do your mates.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3
    Giant is doing demo days next weekend May 18 at Newbury Park Cycles

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbem View Post
    Get a hardtail, learn to ride, stay away from bike mags and forums until you can out do your mates.
    Therein lies the problem. I can't hang with my mates on their $4000 set ups. When I was able to ride a comparable bike, I had no problem keeping up. Why did the MTB Gods do this to me???

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by luvponies View Post
    Giant is doing demo days next weekend May 18 at Newbury Park Cycles
    Thanks for the heads up.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Yes XT/SLX mix is the RAM kit. It comes with Avids brakes however and I would work in a swap up to at least SLX brakes with who ever you get the bike from.
    The full XT kit is the SPX kit. If you can swing it I would step up to it. Again just my personal preference.
    Appreciate the input. And slowly learning the hierarchy of the Shimano lineup. I couldn't tell you what I have now, but when I rode my buddies 13 Stumpjumper (don't even know what he had to be honest) I could feel the difference within about 10 feet. And hills I couldn't climb because I was falling off my bike, I had no problem with on his. A night and day experience.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    20
    While researching about components I found this. I guess it's a list of highest grade components to lowest grade components. Is it correct and still hold true?

    Shimano

    XTR Trail
    XTR Race
    XT
    SLX
    Deore
    Alivio
    Acera
    Altus

    SRAM

    XX1
    XX
    X0
    X9
    X7
    X5

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Bad advice from Nova, seeking more bad advice
    By unterhausen in forum Frame Building
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-20-2013, 09:39 AM
  2. Need advice
    By Bikesrock in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-03-2012, 06:56 PM
  3. Need advice please
    By Mousey in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-27-2012, 09:50 PM
  4. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-18-2012, 07:09 PM
  5. A little advice please
    By jbrown6583 in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-02-2011, 05:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •