mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Cool-blue Rhythm New to the Mtb and 29er world!

Hey everyone,

I just recently picked up a new Diamondback Overrdrive Comp 29er and I am relatively new to the Mtb world. I have ridden before but am looking to make this my hobby, which is why I purchased a 29er. I have some questions about my bike and wanted to get some input from the experts out there! Any feedback would help.

What are going to be some things I will eventually need to upgrade on my set up?
    How do I set up my rock shock turn key spring fork and should I look into getting a new air for instead?
    Is there any airforks that are really good and cheaply priced that I should look into?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    First off, what size is the bike, what size are you? That really determines what kind of experience you'll have on an entry level bike, as unfortunate as it sounds.

If you find yourself wanting a solo air fork, you'll be money ahead moving up to a completely different trim level of the bike, because it'll come with a better wheelset, better brakes, slightly better drivetrain, and a usable fork (100mm RockShox Recon TK Silver most likely).

For now, just look at the manual for the fork (I'm thinking it's an XC30) and turning up the coil action until it sags as recommended and ride it from there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    My bike is a medium size frame and I am around 5ft9in and the bike does the the xc30 I'm trying to figure the whole fork set up out! Can you throw a 120mm fork on a bike like mine even though I currently have a 100mm fork?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yes you can probably throw a 120mm fork on yours. I'd look for a Manitou Tower Pro or X-Fusion Slide. Even in 100mm those will be a big improvement and reasonably priced. Ebay can be a source.

Rogue Exterminator
    Sorry but I had one as my first getting back in to biking bike and IMO that bike is just not worth upgrading.

Ride it the way it is and if replace parts as they break but don't go dumping money in to it.

BTW, I would not put 120mm fork on that frame.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

new dude
    Oct 2004
    Happy to see this thread, as I've been debating buying the same exact bike (size XL) as my first 29er, to get back into MTB. The sale price puts it into the price range I was originally looking in (~$800), but it lists for $1,200. So it sounds like a great bike. However, a cycling buddy of mine suggested going up a little higher and getting an air fork. You can always go up a model and get better stuff, I'm just wondering how much of a difference an air fork will make for me as a beginner (never did any serious MTB, and haven't used a MTB since 06).

Anyway, I did find a nice price at REI on a Scott Aspire 910, which seems to have similar components but has an air fork. Anyone thing that would be a better option? Don't mean to hijack the thread, but since I'm trying to compare the two bikes I figured I'd ask here.

For what it's worth, even though I'm a novice I agree with the feedback about riding it as-is and replacing things only as needed.

Rogue Exterminator
    A better fork makes a difference no matter the level of the rider.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Sorry but I had one as my first getting back in to biking bike and IMO that bike is just not worth upgrading.

Ride it the way it is and if replace parts as they break but don't go dumping money in to it.

BTW, I would not put 120mm fork on that frame.
    Couldn't agree more. If I were on your position OP, I would just save money in order to get a new bike. I wouldn't spend anything upgrading what you got now, it's just not worth it.

Michigan Wolverine
    The bike you have will work just fine for getting into mountain biking. Sure its not high end, but its fine for an entry level frame. Not worth upgrading doesn't mean not worth riding.

I'd suggest just riding it until ya start killing it. A couple years down the road (or sooner) you may want to look into upgrading, but then you'll know more of what you want and what suits your riding style best.
    Amassing Miles - My Little Cycling Blog

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by StanleyPain View Post
    Happy to see this thread, as I've been debating buying the same exact bike (size XL) as my first 29er, to get back into MTB. The sale price puts it into the price range I was originally looking in (~$800), but it lists for $1,200. So it sounds like a great bike. However, a cycling buddy of mine suggested going up a little higher and getting an air fork. You can always go up a model and get better stuff, I'm just wondering how much of a difference an air fork will make for me as a beginner (never did any serious MTB, and haven't used a MTB since 06).

Anyway, I did find a nice price at REI on a Scott Aspire 910, which seems to have similar components but has an air fork. Anyone thing that would be a better option? Don't mean to hijack the thread, but since I'm trying to compare the two bikes I figured I'd ask here.

For what it's worth, even though I'm a novice I agree with the feedback about riding it as-is and replacing things only as needed.
    In your case, unless you'd describe yourself as a beanpole, your friend is steering you the right direction. I'm your height (~230lb), and I absolutely destroyed my first Diamondback Overdrive in under a week - I mean utterly broke more than half of the parts beyond repair, half of them just pedaling along rubber side down on pavement (and the rest in dumb crashes resulting from brake failures and crankset implosions).

The Air fork is a practical must-have for anybody outside of one standard deviation from mean rider size, so for bigger or very light riders they're absolutely worth that upgrade. Brakes are the other high importance safety component, and that Scott Aspire has Shimano Hydraulic, which are the go-to for that.

Rider skill is just part of the equation, for anybody over 200lb that rides hard, the components below X5/Deore are hit or miss about survivability, sometimes with painful consequences.

For the OP - just run it as-is. For the cost of upgrading a single part, you're most of the way to a complete bike cost that includes an upgrade in the entire spec of parts bolted to the bike, so ride it as-is. Since you're not in the clydesdale category, you probably won't experience quite the same problems my over-sized self had with a similar bike.