Your My Boy Blue!!!

The new Monk joins the Rook

After I got the Rook from Astrix, I pretty much fell in love...
    It just feels like the bike was made for me. So then all I have wanted since, was a Monk.
    I got the frame direct from Astrix about two months ago, and have been collecting parts and brain storming about the build ever since.
    Not everything is new, but alot of the parts are. Pulled some parts from every bike I own, like pedals, cranks, bars, stem, drivetrain, even took the cool looking white avids from the Rook to put on the new Monk. So she comes in around 29 pounds, not light, but not porky either.
    Will be getting my first real ride on Tuesday and I can't wait !!!!

Large Monk Frame
    King Headset
    DT 240 laced to the Blunts
    Avid Juicy's
    Race Face Atlas cranks
    Thomson stem and post
    Reba U-Turn
    XT drivetrain and shifters
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cb4photo; 03-22-2009 at 07:22 PM.
    Astrix Sports Monk
    Astrix Sports Rook
    Surly Karate Monkey
    www.cb4photo.com

Expert Crasher
    Nice job on the Monk. If Ryan would do a SS capable Rook - maybe call it the 'bishop', it'd sell well IMO. Maybe a EBB type that has a derailleur hanger.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I second the SS Astrix! I'm running a 120mm fork on my Rook and I love it! I rode my Rook for the first time today and I'm 100% hooked on a Rook! I'm also dreaming of a Monk.I think if I move to AZ I'll have to build one.I fit my Rook perfectly and was amazed how flickable the bike felt.

Your My Boy Blue!!!
    I found a picture of this Rook with sliders?, I meant to ask Ryan about when these where being made? Why he stopped, was this a proto type?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Astrix Sports Monk
    Astrix Sports Rook
    Surly Karate Monkey
    www.cb4photo.com

Your My Boy Blue!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erPilot
    I second the SS Astrix! I'm running a 120mm fork on my Rook and I love it! I rode my Rook for the first time today and I'm 100% hooked on a Rook! I'm also dreaming of a Monk.I think if I move to AZ I'll have to build one.I fit my Rook perfectly and was amazed how flickable the bike felt.
    I have my Rook set up with a White Brothers Magic 110 TA Fork and I think it handles like a dream. It also handled very well with the rigid fork, but I like the suspension fork better. I feel people spend to much time worrying about which length fork to put on their bikes, and I feel there is not going to be as much difference in handling as someone might think.
    Last edited by cb4photo; 03-22-2009 at 07:17 PM.
    Astrix Sports Monk
    Astrix Sports Rook
    Surly Karate Monkey
    www.cb4photo.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cb4photo
    I found a picture of this Rook with sliders?, I meant to ask Ryan about when these where being made? Why he stopped, was this a proto type?
    Hey...I think I know that bike.

The sliders were done separately from Astrix and totally by chance. The Rook frame was hanging in my garage and one day last summer Brendan from Siren Cycles stopped by and over a few beers I made the comment how I loved the bike but wished it had SS sliders. Brendan considered it a challenge and took the bike with him. He added the Ahrens sliders, picked out the electric kelp paint, and even made me the cool "*" stickers. It would be great if Astrix made a production frame with the sliders, but if you want one right now, you need to get a Siren. Interestingly enough the geometry and frame appearance between the two company's is very similar.

Your My Boy Blue!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo
    Hey...I think I know that bike.

The sliders were done separately from Astrix and totally by chance. The Rook frame was hanging in my garage and one day last summer Brendan from Siren Cycles stopped by and over a few beers I made the comment how I loved the bike but wished it had SS sliders. Brendan considered it a challenge and took the bike with him. He added the Ahrens sliders, picked out the electric kelp paint, and even made me the cool "*" stickers. It would be great if Astrix made a production frame with the sliders, but if you want one right now, you need to get a Siren. Interestingly enough the geometry and frame appearance between the two company's is very similar.
    Ever since G Ted did a review of the Song 29er I have liked Siren bikes. I love the bent top tube because I need low standover height and longer top tubes for the style of bikes that I feel fit me well. But the two grand price tag put that frame well out of my price range. I built the Monk for just a little bit more than that.
    Astrix Sports Monk
    Astrix Sports Rook
    Surly Karate Monkey
    www.cb4photo.com

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Congratulations. I think you'll love the Monk I know I love mine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ummmm...not to be a pimp, but just a simple web search shows me that Siren wants $1340 for that style and type of frame.....

http://www.sirenbicycles.com/trauco.html

Certainly not as economical as the Rook, but not bad nevertheless for hand-made, USA fabricated, and custom paint color choice.....plus much lighter than the Rook.

M

Ever since G Ted did a review of the Song 29er I have liked Siren bikes. I love the bent top tube because I need low standover height and longer top tubes for the style of bikes that I feel fit me well. But the two grand price tag put that frame well out of my price range. I built the Monk for just a little bit more than that.

Expert Crasher
    That is Timo's - he had Brendan at Siren add the sliders. Not an Astrix prototype. Cool though - see how easy it would be?
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Expert Crasher
    oops - I didn't scroll all the way down to see Timo post the answer I just posted. Consider that a second 'aye' to the motion.

To the floor for a vote - all in favor say aye?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo
    Ummmm...not to be a pimp, but just a simple web search shows me that Siren wants $1340 for that style and type of frame.....

http://www.sirenbicycles.com/trauco.html

Certainly not as economical as the Rook, but not bad nevertheless for hand-made, USA fabricated, and custom paint color choice.....plus much lighter than the Rook.

M
    I think the OP was comparing the price of his Monk fully (complete) to the cost of the Siren Song Softail (frame only).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    I think the OP was comparing the price of his Monk fully (complete) to the cost of the Siren Song Softail (frame only).
    Someday I will actually learn to read.

A Surly Maverick
    Great Rook and Monk

IMHO Astrix make great frames that are fit for purpose.

I hope they extend their 29er range soon.

Cheers,
    Dr FG.
    A Fatback'd Lefty for who life IS a Beach