NedwannaB

New Kona Satori DL

Geo? Trunion mount shock? 140/130 travel but labeled XC?

Discuss....
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

Turns right to go left
    Some will say the HT to too steep. Some will say the lack of a carbon version is a big negative. Not me.

Knowing Kona, I bet this bike will be a blast to ride. Very balanced and bomb proof. I think it falls into the "jack of all trades" category with bikes like the Hightower, Fuel EX and SB-5.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    i don't think Kona even labeled it as an XC rig. They called it a mid-travel do-it-all 29er bike, which for me translate to a trail bike like Fuel EX and the like.

If this were available when i was buying my 29er Process 153, it might've made my decision making that much harder
    Kona Process 153 29er

NedwannaB
    I'm more curious about the 78* seat tube called out.

NedwannaB
    Direct description from their site "a longer travel cross country bike". Maybe Kona is ahead of the curve and 130 is the new XC suspension! Just wondering if the $3600 price tag is worth over some of the similarly equipped less priced Hei Hei's.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Direct description from their site "a longer travel cross country bike". Maybe Kona is ahead of the curve and 130 is the new XC suspension!
    I was left with a similar impression after reading the bike's description on Kona's website. When the marketing department uses words like, "get-up-and-go," "racy" and "ride like the wind" and the geo chart shows a 68 degree HA, I think XC race bike.

Funny, I remember days when a 68 deg HA was considered way slack. XC was typically 70-ish deg HA or even steeper. But today, while 68 isn't exactly steep, it's certainly steeper than trail/AM riders prefer. At 32# the Satori is a bit hefty for an XC whip. So what's it's market segment again?
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    I was left with a similar impression after reading the bike's description on Kona's website. When the marketing department uses words like, "get-up-and-go," "racy" and "ride like the wind" and the geo chart shows a 68 degree HA, I think XC race bike.

Funny, I remember days when a 68 deg HA was considered way slack. XC was typically 70-ish deg HA or even steeper. But today, while 68 isn't exactly steep, it's certainly steeper than trail/AM riders prefer. At 32# the Satori is a bit hefty for an XC whip. So what's it's market segment again?
    =sParty
    Maybe that steep seat tube angle gives it that "whippy" feeling on the climbs!?! As for the weight I'd be on a small so it'd probly be around 31.5, right?😎👍

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Maybe that steep seat tube angle gives it that "whippy" feeling on the climbs!?! As for the weight I'd be on a small so it'd probly be around 31.5, right?
    Knowing Kona (I own one), I'm sure the Fuse suspension (which is "missing" a pivot) is dialed. I'm confident the frame is solid. Kona makes good stuff. That said, at the risk of sounding rude -- not my intention -- I'm just going to say this. I think this bike may serve entry level riders who don't know better well. As for myself or anyone who likes to descend at 4 or 5x their average climbing speed, the Satori sounds like it's got one foot in the boat and the other on the dock.

Maybe it'll be perfect in milder terrain, tho. Or among stronger XC racers who're willing to pedal an extra few pounds.
    =sParty

P.S. Gotta say I do love the uber steep STA.
    disciplesofdirt.org

WillWorkForTrail
    I'm gonna chime in here, now that I have a keyboard in front of me. A couple days ago, I saw this, and looked at it, and thought, wow. But I was just looking on my ipad and don't like typing on it. So...

I rarely ride a lot of "fast, open" trail. Mostly it's old school, tighter trail, but that doesn't mean tame. I've always ridden XC bikes because I've always considered that to be the style riding I do - and I used to race, but that's all very much done. That said, I've grown weary of the latest crop of XC bikes because they seem to be getting lighter and lighter, which wouldn't be a problem, if they didn't keep breaking when I was riding them. Not jumping and casing crap, and not just rolling a greenway, but throwing down on a technical, chunky trail, working the bike hard enough to use all the suspension travel available.

The inevitable answer - get more travel - is accompanied by a necessarily slacker head tube, and often, less spry climbing capabilities, in favor of better descending. In theory, that's not a problem since I'm not racing, but the flip side is a long day in the saddle can sometimes include climbs that go on for up to 10 miles. If you climb 10 miles on a bike that sucks at climbing, just about everything you do after that is going to suck. Also, the longer/lower/slacker thing hasn't particularly helped. The wheelbase on XL sized bikes seems to be getting a bit out of hand. The slacker the front end gets, and the more fork you put out there, that wheelbase just starts to stack up.

Before anyone asks "Have you ridden any of these new bikes?" - Yes. I've demo'd a lot of them. On trails I know. Did I get a lot of pedal strikes? Once or twice I did, but once I figured out where the pedals were in relation to the ground I was able to mitigate most of them with a little extra attention. And yes, some of the turns were tricky on the super slack bikes when climbing. And yes, they were fun blasting down hills. But I haven't LOVED any of them.

This bike has grabbed my attention. It's significantly slacker (68 vs 71) than my current ride, longer travel (130/140 vs 100/120), and it's a Kona so it's probably a beast. Who knows how well it pedals. But the idea of the bike, and the basic numbers almost feel like someone read my mind regarding what I was looking for. I'm not saying a lot of the new bikes aren't great. I just haven't ridden one I felt like was FOR ME. This bike? Well. I have a friend who's friends with a guy who owns a shop that sells Kona. I think this is the next bike I'm going to try to get a leg over....

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    This bike has grabbed my attention. It's significantly slacker (68 vs 71) than my current ride, longer travel (130/140 vs 100/120), and it's a Kona so it's probably a beast. Who knows how well it pedals. But the idea of the bike, and the basic numbers almost feel like someone read my mind regarding what I was looking for. I'm not saying a lot of the new bikes aren't great. I just haven't ridden one I felt like was FOR ME. This bike? Well. I have a friend who's friends with a guy who owns a shop that sells Kona. I think this is the next bike I'm going to try to get a leg over....
    Cotharyus, your points are solid for sure and in fact got me thinking about this bike from a different perspective. It's a FS mid-travel Honzo. That's what it is! I have one of the first generation steel Honzos and I love it. Guess what -- 68 degree head angle just like the Satori. (I slacked my Honzo's HA to 67-ish by installing a 160mm fork but whatever.) Anyway, Honzo is a very fun, capable bike and now here comes the Satori which looks like a full suspension Honzo. That's gotta be good.

Looking at the Satori from this perspective and for your intended use, it looks like it might fit the bill perfectly. Let us know how it feels after you've given it a good whuppin'.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

NedwannaB
    Its great to have positive critiquing going on within a "new bike" discussion. Is that weird? 😳
    Now, about the seat tube angle, can that actually be right?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The first iteration of the Satori was perfect as an all around bike. It was also a trend setter in 2012. Just enough travel to monster truck through rock gardens, good climbing and agile enough for technical single track. While I loved the handling of the process 111 that replaced it, I missed the extra travel and more relaxed persona of the satori on long rides. My current bike is a canfield riot with a steep seat tube which is noticable on steep climbs. No more fighting to keep the front end on the trail. I am sure the new setup is great.

If I was looking for a true trail bike at a sane price point the Satori would be my starting point.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

NedwannaB
    Bump......so initially this post generated some interest. But I've noticed in some other Kona threads they've got some bashing on pricing/value compared with other brands bikes in same/similar bike setups.

What say you?

mtbr member
    This bike is an answer looking for a question.

It's perfect if all you do is ride up steep trails.

Maybe for someone who races to the top, throws it aside and hops on a dh rig?

If they slacked both seat/head angles just 2 deg it'd still be a hot climber + an "able" descender.

Xc? I don't think so, that steep of a seat tube and long-ish reach is gonna' shift a lot of weight onto your hands.

wtf Kona.....

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by tungsten View Post

If they slacked both seat/head angles just 2 deg it'd still be a hot climber + an "able" descender.

Xc? I don't think so, that steep of a seat tube and long-ish reach is gonna' shift a lot of weight onto your hands.

wtf Kona.....
    So you saw this too:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ans-lSJ2ggw

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by tungsten View Post

wtf Kona.....
    They are calling it an "aggressive xc bike" meaning they don't want to label it as a short/mid travel Trail bike but it doesn't really fit as a XC bike so let's just create our own naming convention.

NedwannaB
    At 140 travel and geo id say agressive XC is spot on!