mtbr member
    May 2013

New guy - just bought first 29er.

Hey folks. I used to ride quite a bit when I lived in Cali. It's been about 8 years though, and since I just got out of the army (No more daily physical training) I decided to get back into it as a way to stay in shape. I'll be mostly riding trails with my family and occasionally using my bike for commuting to work when the weather permits.

I pick up my 2012 KHS Tempe 29er from the local bike shop tomorrow. I also grabbed an entry - level KHS hardtail for my 13 year old son. It's his first MTB, so he's pretty stoked.
    Last edited by AKsoldier; 05-03-2013 at 06:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Awesome! Hope you two enjoy!
    '11 Redline MonoCog Flight 29er
    '10 Windsor Cliff 29er SS
    '09 Trek 4300

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    very nice ! I wish I would have gotten a mountain bike when I was 13 !!!!

mtbr member
    Congrats! My first real mountain bike was a KHS.

The perfessor
    My first 29er was an SS Rigid Solo One SE and its still a great bike......hope your folks enjoy your rides........
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Trifecta is Perfecta: 26" FSR Geared / 29er SS Rigid / 29er Ti Hardtail Geared

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Just got a call from the bike shop... sounds like they might not be ready today afterall. It seems he got swamped with a basket case that's taking longer than he had planned. It's not the end of the world though, with all the snow falling outside and no end in sight it's not exactly ideal riding weather.

My fist MTB was a rigid 21 speed Skykomish Marble Point I bought at Costco back in 1990 or so with money I had saved from doing summer odd jobs. I thought I was hot stuff riding around on that bad boy!
    2012 KHS Tempe 29er

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Enjoy riding with your son. I used to love riding with mine, then he got so busy with school that there was no more time.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainHead View Post
    Enjoy riding with your son. I used to love riding with mine, then he got so busy with school that there was no more time.
    I intend to! I'm even thinking about doing some extended riding/camping trips with him as time permits. My kids are home schooled, so we have a little more freedom with the schedule than most.
    2012 KHS Tempe 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    Hey folks. I used to ride quite a bit when I lived in Cali. It's been about 8 years though, and since I just got out of the army (No more daily physical training) I decided to get back into it as a way to stay in shape. I'll be mostly riding trails with my family and occasionally using my bike for commuting to work when the weather permits.

I pick up my 2012 KHS Tempe 29er from the local bike shop tomorrow. I also grabbed an entry - level KHS hardtail for my 13 year old son. It's his first MTB, so he's pretty stoked.

Sounds great! Congrats and welcome!!

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    I intend to! I'm even thinking about doing some extended riding/camping trips with him as time permits. My kids are home schooled, so we have a little more freedom with the schedule than most.
    Very nice, congratulations on your new bike, enjoy and update your thread later. Nice looking bike.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz View Post
    Very nice, congratulations on your new bike, enjoy and update your thread later.
    As requested - It rides quite well, and my son is absolutely in love with his Alite 150. The only hiccup so far was a pretty serious headshake incident. (tank slapper for you motorcycle savvy folks.) I posted another thread about it, but it occurred at about 30 MPH on a paved down - hill ride. Looks like I might have to back off the speed a bit. Most folks are saying the 29er head angle isn't good for higher speeds.
    2012 KHS Tempe 29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Awesome for both of you....Yeah i should have gotten my two rug rats involved years ago. It's never too late